i was thinking, since i'm not going to be good enough at guitar for college, and it's just not something i think i could do for school, i'm want to go to college to be someone who works in a recording studio or a concert hall or something. neither my dad nor myself knew what this profession would be called, so we decided on Sound Technician, but yeah, whatever. are there any specific classes i'd take in college to do that, and would it require any experience or knowledge with working with mixing boards and crap?
Quote by frottage
i was thinking, since i'm not going to be good enough at guitar for college, and it's just not something i think i could do for school, i'm want to go to college to be someone who works in a recording studio or a concert hall or something. neither my dad nor myself knew what this profession would be called, so we decided on Sound Technician, but yeah, whatever. are there any specific classes i'd take in college to do that, and would it require any experience or knowledge with working with mixing boards and crap?

It is called Sound Technician. Thats what I'm studying to become. It's a hole lot harder then it looks.

I would take any sound engineering courses you can find.

You pretty much have to know how to work a sound board with your eyes closed.

What college course you want to take all depends on what you want to do with sound

For example: I work at a radio station right now and I had to be trained on how to use their sound board.

There is so many types of setups to actually know what college courses to take you have to know almost exactly what you want to do.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
Last edited by punkrocker10115 at Apr 28, 2008,
Actually, believe it or not, being a sound engineer isn't actually that hard, for live gigs and stuff anyway. Most of your work is done during sound check. During the actual gig you don't do much. However, recording, which is another job an Audio Engineer can do, is a lot harder. To produce a decent-sounding recording is pretty tricky. I'm doing a foundation audio class at the moment and the recording stuff is scaring me. It seems very art-like in that there's no set way to get a good sound. I like things set. I.e, do this and it will sound good.
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
Actually, believe it or not, being a sound engineer isn't actually that hard, for live gigs and stuff anyway. Most of your work is done during sound check. During the actual gig you don't do much. However, recording, which is another job an Audio Engineer can do, is a lot harder. To produce a decent-sounding recording is pretty tricky. I'm doing a foundation audio class at the moment and the recording stuff is scaring me. It seems very art-like in that there's no set way to get a good sound. I like things set. I.e, do this and it will sound good.

I've always thought live gigs were harder. Maybe thats because when I do then I'm in pretty much complete darkness. But w/e I think studio engineering is easier just because you have time to perfect it. In live sound you have to do it right the first time.

Just a bit of advice though. If your thinking this is a fall back career your gonna be in for a surprise. If your truly interested and willing to put in the work and get all your training done its worth it.

I would say if you want to see what its like visit a radio station or watch the technician at a live gig.
P.L.U.R.

We were fated to pretend
Last edited by punkrocker10115 at Apr 28, 2008,
dang. i know nothing about working with a board or anything. i'm guessing from what you guys said that i probably should know something about it before i go to college. is there like anything at all i can do? i'm a complete n00b to this.
Quote by frottage
dang. i know nothing about working with a board or anything. i'm guessing from what you guys said that i probably should know something about it before i go to college. is there like anything at all i can do? i'm a complete n00b to this.

How old are you?

Like I said above visit a radio station.

Also your school should have some kind of program paired with the drama program that should include sound.
When took classes for it they taught me how to run sound, run lights, and build sets. So it would be a good overall class to take.
P.L.U.R.

We were fated to pretend
Quote by punkrocker10115
How old are you?

Like I said above visit a radio station.

Also your school should have some kind of program paired with the drama program that should include sound.
When took classes for it they taught me how to run sound, run lights, and build sets. So it would be a good overall class to take.

ooh okay. i must've missed the radio station thing. my school is extremely crappy, and i'm not sure if they use mics for the plays lol, and i know they just have a teacher do that stuff, but i'll look into that. i turn 18 next thursday btw, i'm a junior right now.