What are some good guitar mics?

Right now I am recording through some model of PVM (forgot the specifics) and it actually sounds very nice for acoustic and clean sounds but it murders pretty much any distorted tone I can make.

I know that the SM57 and SM58 are very popular but just so I can keep my options open what are some of my other choices?

Or would I do best to just settle for the SM mics?
Well, the SM are pretty much the standards.

With recording guitar, in my experience anyway, you want to make sure the sound is as good as possible at the source (eg amp), then try and replicate that. So certain mics wouldn't be very suitable. The SM57 is pretty spot-on for that.

The thing with cheaper mics is, it can be a risk. You don't wanna end up spending money on something that will let you down, when you can put that money towards a decent mic that will last you a long time and give you great results.

One microphone that I've yet to use but has received great reviews is the Rode M3. It seems its main function, from ads and reviews, is for vocals but it seems to be a good all-rounder. And it's pretty cheap too, especially for something of such quality.
Yeah I am pretty happy with my tone but when it comes through the recordings it is just ridiculously fuzzy and not nearly as warm as it sounds live.

I actually don't mind it so much when I play melodies but it really tends to shine through when I start to play chords.
How are you recording at the moment? It could be the mic you're using, or the placement of the mic in front of the amp that's causing a problem.
Quote by _deeperthewound
How are you recording at the moment? It could be the mic you're using, or the placement of the mic in front of the amp that's causing a problem.

I have read that placement can alter sound so I have experimented a little with that,
but not much.

I usually place the mic anywhere between 6 inches to about two feet and I have noticed that when I place it farther away then it is not as bad but it still is a bit more fuzzy then what I want.

I haven't done much with it though,
would you have any suggestions?

Also,
does the orientation of the mic in relation to the amp affect sound?

In other words,
will a microphone hanging from the ceiling have a different sound then one pointed directly at the amp?
yes angle of the mics in relation to the speaker alters the sound as does how far you place the mic from the speaker.

On axis, in the middle of the speaker, yields a brighter treble-ish tone. The further you move towards the edge of the speaker will give you more bass and the smoother the highs get.

Turning the microphone off axis will result in coloration of the highs and mids for different tonalities.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 29, 2008,
For micing techniques for guitar cabs check out this video

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

It's about an hour long and a little boring at times, but does a great job of explaining micing a cab using 2 SM57s (or other dynamics), inclusing a lot of different positions and the tone you get from that position. Comparison sound clips included.

Also, a good rule of thumb is to turn down the gain when recording, becuase you usually don't need as much as you think you need.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
For micing techniques for guitar cabs check out this video

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

It's about an hour long and a little boring at times, but does a great job of explaining micing a cab using 2 SM57s (or other dynamics), inclusing a lot of different positions and the tone you get from that position. Comparison sound clips included.

Also, a good rule of thumb is to turn down the gain when recording, becuase you usually don't need as much as you think you need.

DS

great video link, thanks for posting that.
Quote by moody07747
great video link, thanks for posting that.

Thank dogismycopilot for posting that. Very helpful vid.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic