i think i know the answer to this already, but i want to ask to make sure or get some other ideas.

i've noticed that i use my pinky finger too much while playing. i'm not saying this just in general, but when i should be using my ring finger, i use my pinky finger instead. i'm certain it has something to do with reach (partly because my hands are smaller, but i'm not using that as an excuse).

question is, how should i change this? should i just keep practicing hard with trying to use my ring finger instead and just repition? or what?
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Using your pinky too much is in a way, a good problem to have. But to get out of the habit, just use your ring finger more. Focus on doing that, and you'll kick the habit eventually. Octaves are great for getting into index-ring patterns.
I use my pinky much more than my ring finger. I don't view it as a bad habit. Its comfortable and it gets the job done. I also have really small hands.
Yeah, I agree with IRS. Not fretting with your pinky is a WAY bigger problem. But I can see how using your pinky too much can get you into the habit of neglecting your ring.

Again, I agree with IRS though, the octave is great for index/ring stretch. Basically, if it's only two frets away, you should be able to hit it comfortably with your ring.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
on an upright you are supposed to use your ring with your pinky so..... maybe you could try that as an inbetween
Quote by treebranch13
on an upright you are supposed to use your ring with your pinky so..... maybe you could try that as an inbetween

Though that's true, you're dealing with an entirely different animal when you deal with an upright. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even need to do that with a fretless electric, though I could be wrong.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
personally when i play octaves i use index pinky. unless higher on the neck. just do simple exercises that use your ring finger like:
1234 2345etc

the stronger it becomes the more natural it should feel to use it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by WhyLater
Though that's true, you're dealing with an entirely different animal when you deal with an upright. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even need to do that with a fretless electric, though I could be wrong.

Yeah, I would only use the Simandl method if you had EXTREMELY small hands. For the TS' problem it just sounds like laziness. Concentrate on playing with the ring finger all the time. Don't passively play, actually realize what you're doing and fix it. Of course, this is for the practise room to try and get better habits. If you're on a gig I wouldn't try to fix it mid-gig.