I know everybody says that 99% of the time, it's better to get better amp. But this might be one of the 1% cases.

I I have about $350. I was originally planning to get an amp, but now my tastes in artists is starting to change. Before it was Stevie Ray Vaughan's blues licks, but it's starting to be Kirk Hammett's two finger tap solos that floats my boat. The problem is, neither of my two guitars are really good for metal. I currently have a Michael Kelly Deuce Pheonix and a Squier Strat. I use the Deuce for playing blues and stuff, but it's not quite up to task to playing metal. So what should I do?

EDIT: My current amp is a Vox DA5. On the Crunch and High Gain settings it handles heavy stuff pretty good. I can do Metallica's ballads fairly well. But I can't do any of their early thrash stuff that good.
Last edited by guitarnoobie at Apr 29, 2008,
Put a high output humbucker in your squier?
As long as it plays alright, you're fine.

I still say new amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
How's your amp? Good gain? If not, go for a new amp.

If you're really going for a guitar, you could save up a little more and then maybe get an ESP LTD KH-202 (or something like that) seeing as how you're into Metallica.
Last edited by AA00P at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by AA00P
How's your amp? Good gain?

I'd probably save up a little more and then maybe get an ESP LTD KH-202 (or something like that) seeing as how you're into Metallica.

I was looking at that one briefly but I heard ESP's LTD line is so-so. Maybe I'm mis-informed.
New guitar. Amps are no good without a decent guitar. I had a cheap $130 peavay guitar (which is nicer than your squier strat), and a nice Fender 150W Stage 112 Vintage Amp that I bought from a friend.

The amp is amazing, but it can't make your guitar sound like anything. I've since bought a new guitar (actually it was an anniversary present). Still, trust me, my friend.

If you want to spend $350, I'd consider a Mexican Strat. I play an American HSS Fat Strat, and that sounds great, but it's about $1300 bucks. I have a buddy who has a Mexican one and he jammed once with me and I really liked his Strat. It was a damn nice guitar. My brother is thinking about getting one.

Still, if you're really into blues, consider a Mexican Telecaster. Those are TRUE blues guitars. Both run about $400, but you might be able to get a used one... I've heard the telecasters are very nice.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Quote by guitarnoobie
I was looking at that one briefly but I heard ESP's LTD line is so-so. Maybe I'm mis-informed.

You're informed correctly, or at least they are only so-so from my experiences with them...
Oh, sorry. You said you wanted to play metal? Ok. I still recommend a tele for that. John 5 uses one. That's good enough for me. And if you feel like you might want to dabble in other genres, the tele should work..

But, if your committed to metal, try a Jackson or Schecter or Epiphone. Schecters are popular in particular for metal guitarists, and they can be cheap. Get one, for sure with HH pickups. They are also very pretty.

However, overall, if I were you, I'd buy a Mexican Telecaster. Versions of telecasters are probably the most used guitar, outside the strat, for all types of guitarists today. Get one. You will love it.
Quote by Formalities555
Oh, sorry. You said you wanted to play metal? Ok. I still recommend a tele for that. John 5 uses one.

what you mean is, john 5 uses a completely modified telecaster, in fact most die-hard tele fans wouldn't even consider it a "true" tele.

i love teles, but there's a reason why 99% of metal guys don't use them (for playing metal; they obviously might if they have other musical tastes, of course).

I agree that this might be the 1% time (probably more like 10-20%, i'd say... people round here have a tendency to jump on the bandwagon). One option, if you like to play it still, would be to try to fit a humbucker to your squier in the bridge position (as already mentioned by darkarbiter).

if you don't like your squier, it's gotta be a new guitar. I have a strat, and i have a semi-hollow- assuming yours sound similar, i wouldn't want to be playing metal on them (and I have an amp which will do metal extremely well, with the correct guitar; it's not the amp, in other words).

something like a yamaha pacifica 412/612 perhaps, if you still want to keep one foot in blues territory. bridge humbucker, but two single coils as well (it's basically a fat strat).

maybe you'd like something with a floyd instead? i'm not sure if i'd advise that, i'm not certain there are any guitars with "good" floyds at your price range (i could be wrong though)- and in my experience, you're better with no floyd than a bad one...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are just a hobbyist playing at home and not with a drummer the amp is fine. That is what it is designed for. I have one, it passes for a great LOW volume sound. I as well recommend a guitar with a humbucker at the bridge and single coils in the neck and middle for the versatility of tones you want to hit.
Like others have said, if you are fine with the feel of your strat, then throw a humbucker in the bridge. A Duncan JB would work great for metal.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Put a high output humbucker in your squier?
As long as it plays alright, you're fine.

I still say new amp.

+1 to this!
I can make a $99 guitar sound like a million bucks through my SLO, but it's a lot harder to make a $3000 guitar sound good through a $99 amp. EVH used a cheap home made piece of sh!t guitar that sounded great because of #1) his skill & #2) his amp. Always go for the best amp you can financially stretch for. Hell, take out a personal bank loan or get financing, & get a great amp(& build up your credit in the process).
PS-Using a Telecaster for metal is like racing a tricycle in the Indy 500.
Get a PAF voiced medium output humbucker for the bridge & you can play anything.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011