I've been looking on ebay recently and there has been a ton of good stuff i have really been interested in getting but im just not sure if its safe. Ive bought stuff of of ebay but the max price was 50$. Is it ok to be spending 400 - 800 dollars on something you cant see before you buy?

I would be ok buying pedals or sometimes amps but guitars seem like something too personal to just buy off ebay.

Also what is normal shipping for a guitar, amp or pedal?

Any experiences, stories, or tips are welcome. thanks

- DZ
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Usually it's trustworthy. But, I like to buy locallly to prevent shipping problems, or scams or something like that. Plus, you get the advantage of playing something first.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
pedals are like $10 to ship im guessing amps due to size and weight would b alot of money to ship probably guitars too
My Gear:
Dean Dixie Rebel
Esp-Ltd Viper-400
Ibanez Ael-20e
Mesa/Boogie F-50
Most of the time, you are good! Just use common sense! Don't spend that $800 on a user account that has zero feedback, or only like a couple feedback (it is a good sign it is a scam). And remember one thing, if it seems too good to be true, it is!

I've purchased a number of things on E-Bay for guitar... a couple hundred or so on pedals, etc. But I also spent ~$650 on a guitar. Great guitar. Everything seemed perfect. But when I got it in the mail, turns out one of the pickups was wired WRONG and I had to figure it out and fix it all up. (I probably could have got this resolved; but by the time I got to play it and realized this, it was weeks later, so I just fixed it myself)

But I would still buy another guitar off E-Bay. Just be cautious and do your research, and you're likely to be fine.
I've spent 1500 dollars on ebay, in one purchase.
You just really need to know what to look out for, especially guitar wise.
Signatures are overrated.
Ive bought just about anything off ebay......from strings/picks to guitars and half stacks. Ive always had good luck. Just look for trustworthy buyers with good feedback and use Paypal too. The only downside is not being able to test it out first. Ive had my share of guitars that I just didn't like how they played, the sellers were just fine with pics and descriptions and what not, just you dont know if you'll like the tone or not until you actually can play it. If possible, you could try out gear at a Guitar Center or so, and then buy it off ebay for a lot cheaper...

Personally, I think its fun buying stuff of ebay and not knowing what to expect as far as tone and what not. I've learned a lot about guitars, amps and many different effects pedals just buy taking chances on ebay, Ive come across some sweet deals, and rare gear. If i dont like something, I just turn around and sell it on ebay!!
YOU need to be smart. Only buy from sellers with lots of positive feedback. Read the ads very carefully. Good sellers will describe in detail any issues the item might have. If you just glance over the ad and buy based on the picture, you're out of luck if the item "doesn't make any sound when plugged in," as it clearly stated in the seller's notes at the bottom of the ad...

Follow those simple rules, do remember this:

Quote by CyBerAliEn
And remember one thing, if it seems too good to be true, it is!

That Les Paul BIN for $495 probably isn't a real Gibson.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ agreed.

also be wary that one person's idea of "good condition" might not be another's. and if you're annoyed by the odd dink etc. it's probably not too sensible to buy on ebay.

EDIT: also treat all descriptions like "amazing", "this $50 guitar plays better than a suhr!" etc. with a pinch of salt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how much percent discounted should i expect from a used but not very blemished item
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Quote by dzaerpoor
how much percent discounted should i expect from a used but not very blemished item

I generally consider paying 2/3 of the brand new price to be fair when buying something used in excellent condition. It depends on the item, though. A lot of boutique pedals sell for nearly their new price because they're so tough to find. But paying $400 for something like a Classic 30 that goes for $600 new is just about right.

Check completed listings in ebay, too, to see what other people are paying for the same product.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Also don't buy from someone who has

"All Sales are Final"

in their auction.

They are probably putting that there because they are selling a piece of crap
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
As everyone else has said, if you use common sense then you'll be fine. Paying with paypal is also a good way to work on ebay, you get some kind of buyer protection that way. Although I paid in cash when I bought my amp, but I made sure the thing worked before I handed over the money.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I bought both my amps on ebay (a Mojave Scorpion+2X12 cab for $2800 & an SLO for $2480 incl shipping across the US, which coincidentally is about the same price ratio slats mentioned). Both amps were from sellers with lots of positive feedback (they were both actually music stores that listed items online), & both were in pristine perfect condition & worked flawlessly (both were used, not brand new).
I personally would probably not buy a guitar without playing it & inspecting it first. I'm kind of picky about guitars, & notice variations even between identical models (I used to build custom guitars), but that's just me. There's great deals to be had if you're patient & smart.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i'm fine buying pedals on ebay if the seller has a fair amount of positive feeback, but with amps and guitars i'd always do my best to actually try and out that item before i bid, with guitars especially.
POST FINDER
Just make sure you don't get a metal rod in a case, like that one guy.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
another trick is to ask for pics of a specific part of the item, just to make sure the person selling actually has it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there are always risks to buying online.. but if it was totally unsafe, millions of people wouldn't be using it everyday..

(or so i tell myself.. even tho i got ripped off when buying a gamecube game.. jerks..)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
And if theres anything in particular that you want to buy, You can always post the link here and ask for us to check it out to make sure its a good deal and what not.