hey hey peeps

im gettin a new guitar soon, i fink im gona go 4 the ibanez s470 but i want to change he pick-ups and maybe add a coil tap to it cuz on my indie custom it has a coil tap and i find this a cool fing to have...

so 1st off can any 1 rekonmend what type of pick-ups i should go 4?....i play mainly rock music but it varies frm rhcp, avenged sevenfold, greenday,fratellis, velvet revolver etc

and 2ndly is ther anything i should no about adding a coil tap? obviously i not gona do it yself but is ther any draw bcks of fitting a coil tap to a guitar that wasnt designed with 1?

advice please...

fanx
Ibanez offer a number of S models with coil-SPLIT options. If you want to replace the pickups before even playing the guitar, be my guest.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Ibanez offer a number of S models with coil-SPLIT options. If you want to replace the pickups before even playing the guitar, be my guest.

It is also called a coil tap sometimes btw

Anyway, yes, Ibanez offers guitars with coil-tap options but not the "S" Series. The "SA" Series do however, and they have the same shape, just a different bridge.

Oh, and do fix your grammar please
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
It is also called a coil tap sometimes btw

Anyway, yes, Ibanez offers guitars with coil-tap options but not the "S" Series. The "SA" Series do however, and they have the same shape, just a different bridge.

Oh, and do fix your grammar please

God, I don't want to **** with this right now.

A coil tap is a lead taken from the middle of a wind of a pup that you can wire to let you use just the virst bit of the winds, or all of the winds. A coil split is a lead taken after the first coil of a 'bucker, but before the seccond, letting you "split" the coil for use as a single coild pickup.

And pardon me, I refer to all Sabers (S, SA, SZ) as S's, to save my own time.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
God, I don't want to **** with this right now.

A coil tap is a lead taken from the middle of a wind of a pup that you can wire to let you use just the virst bit of the winds, or all of the winds. A coil split is a lead taken after the first coil of a 'bucker, but before the seccond, letting you "split" the coil for use as a single coild pickup.

And pardon me, I refer to all Sabers (S, SA, SZ) as S's, to save my own time.

hmm... i was under the impression that they were different terms for the same thing... oh well.

And i was being a bit pedantic, clarifying your info for the benefit of TS. Not saying you were wrong per se.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
You won't need to "add" anything even if you do change pickups, the default wiring on an S spilts the bridge pickup in position 2.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Hey, I didn't know that. Would you have any sound samples where I could hear the differences.

I suppose you could install both systems to get four different sounds out of one humbucker, right?

Thanks for the info.
^^ Actually, a coil tap sounds like a weak humbucker IMO. It's nowhere close to a true split-coil sound.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
^^ Actually, a coil tap sounds like a weak humbucker IMO. It's nowhere close to a true split-coil sound.

I aggree. A coil tap would be best on an overwound bridge pup in an SSS strat. It's more of an option for old farts like me who like strats.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

+1

Quote by steven seagull
You won't need to "add" anything even if you do change pickups, the default wiring on an S spilts the bridge pickup in position 2.

also +1.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

Damn, a +1 for me from Dave. I guess I win GG&A.

I'd like to thank everyone smarter than me for letting me leech everything I know from them, and I'd also like to thank...mom.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Damn, a +1 for me from Dave. I guess I win GG&A.

I'd like to thank everyone smarter than me for letting me leech everything I know from them, and I'd also like to thank...mom.

haha, i leeched most of the things i know too...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I'll copy all this info next time I see somebody post a similar question. Sort of to keep the chain alive. :-)

You forgot to thank the Academy, SpineSurf.