use your pinky
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by shaunmood
What are these dreaded bad habits that everyone talks about?

1 - Not using one finger per fret and ignoring the pinky finger. You should work on your finger strength to the point where all your fret hand fingers are just about equal in ability.

2 - Tensing up when playing; I cannot stress this enough: play in a relaxed way, if you tense up you introduce stress to the body which over time can damage your hand and wrist, in extreme cases you can end up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

3 - Ignoring the basics. In terms of both theory and technique you should know and be proficient in the absolute basics. Theory being basic major and minor scales, open chords and basic chord construction. Technique being basic alternate picking and being able to use your fingers without having to concntrate too much on what your hand is doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i have a friend who always plays bass with one finger, no matter wot
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Anchoring My fretting hand is really fast but my picking hand can't follow because I can't stop the habit of resting my pinky on my pickup.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by cocacolabottle
Anchoring My fretting hand is really fast but my picking hand can't follow because I can't stop the habit of resting my pinky on my pickup.
you put your pinky on your pu???
make sure your playing is clean, dont learn something real quick and be done with it. work with a metronome and bring up the bpm a little every time until you can play in fast cleanly.
Alternate picking, as mentioned

Only doing downpicking will limit you
Quote by nouOU
holding the pick incorrectly

There is no incorrect way to hold the pick. There are effective ways and less effective ways, but I've seen good players hold their picks oddly. Most high caliber shredders hold the pick similarly though.
there are many ways to hold a pick, you just change the posistion accordingly to comfort^^ atleast I do

bad habits? hmm...ignoring economy picking
vibrato, tug up down, dont bend with your finger

alternate picking

anchoring
Worst habit: playing on a chair with damned arms.

Ignoring hammer-ons - pull-offs
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by shaunmood
???

a lot of people forget to use their pinky and only play with 3 fingers on their fretting hand. so remember to use your pinky.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Don't be lazy with practice

If you find a flaw in your playing, correct it, if you ignore it, it'll get worse and it won't go away and it'll eventually be insanely difficult to get rid of the habit

Don't stick to one genre, play other genres, you may learn something

Don't limit yourself, playing stuff outside of your skill level will help you love your instrument more after you learn "that solo" and you impress yourself, and hopefully others, it'll boost your confidence

Don't purely down-pick, now I'm not saying constant down picking is bad, for metal songs, down picking is essential for many chuggy metal songs like Master Of Puppets, playing all of that down-picked gives you a much more aggressive tone as opposed to alternate picking.

Don't ever think you've reached a point where you just can't get better, music is a never-ending journey where you keep learning, Paul Gilbert is my favourite guitarist and he just keeps improving, if you listen to the album Get Out Of My Yard and compare it to Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar, you'll notice his technique and phrasing has REALLY improved since G3

Don't ignore another guitarist's skills, you may just learn something.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Don't ever think you've reached a point where you just can't get better, music is a never-ending journey where you keep learning, Paul Gilbert is my favourite guitarist and he just keeps improving, if you listen to the album Get Out Of My Yard and compare it to Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar, you'll notice his technique and phrasing has REALLY improved since G3.

Because eveyone can learn something from Satch.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Avoiding improvisation i used to do it since i couldnt solo for shat but now i practise it alot and i get so much emotion and confidence into my solos
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
Quote by JeanMi36
Worst habit: playing on a chair with damned arms.

Ignoring hammer-ons - pull-offs

ill second that...I never use pull offs
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.