Ive noticed that guitar practice is slooowly becoming a chore.

Any tips on keeping guitar fun? any very easy songs i could learn that you find fun to play would help (Ive been playing seriously for about 8 months) . Anything realy.

If you're into simple stuff, learn some Priestess.

Or, if you're in the mood for something more complex, learn some Rush. In particular, I recommend "Anthem" (7/8 time FTW!), "Xanadu," "Dreamline" and "The Spirit of Radio."
the fall of troy is always fun to play, or mastodon, or coheed and cambria
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
It's always fun to learn a new genres. If you're into metal, learn some rock/ blues or jazz or the other way around.
Try some accoustic stuff too.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
put the guitar down for a week
dont let urself play it no matter how much you want to
After 7 days ull be itching to play again and ull get back to that feeling u had when u first started. That what happened to me coz i went away for like 2 weeks came back so eager
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Quote by the_poison125

Any tips on keeping guitar fun? any very easy songs i could learn that you find fun to play would help (Ive been playing seriously for about 8 months) . Anything realy.

Yeah see how much cofee you can drink while you play until you shred at lightning speed! Or...try playing left handed for 2 minutes to realize just how far you have come
Make it less about practice and more about playing. Don't do technical exercises or whatever, just jam along to some tracks and play with people.
That'll add a whole new dimension to your playing.
Also, maybe take a few days away from guitar and play just nylon stringed guitar or piano or something like that, play something really soft, then when you go back to electric it'll all seem so incredible and heavy, you'll come up with riffs on the spot. That's how it works for me anyway, I take breaks to just play acoustic guitar and when I go back to electric it's nuts.
Well im going over to a freinds house on the weekend and we might go use his neighbours huge ass amp. So that should be fun.

And im going to try a few of those songs you guys mentioned. Thanks

EDIT Can anyone recomend some blues bands/songs that would fit my needs? I like a **** load of bands and genres though mostly metal/rock type stuff.

Also what about bands from crazy/weird genres (as long as it still sounds good) Like hardcore jazz? accoustic death metal blues. Something different from the standard genres.
Last edited by the_poison125 at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by piecies_81
Ive always found that buying new gear helps keep it fun!!

I got new gear for christmas

But i do plan on getting a job and raking in some new pedals
Ive been gettin bored so I started to play to backing tracks...pick some songs that sound fun and play long, I've been playin gimme three steps by lynyrd skynyrd, lots of fun if ur into that music
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by kthxbi
play with people.
That'll add a whole new dimension to your playing.

+1 especialy if these people have more years of playing under their belt
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
if you hear a song and think 'wow that riff is cool'
learn it!

but if its too challenging it may put you off more

i always find some simple hard rock riffs are fun to play and practically any thrash metal

and i agree... play with other people, dont play for a week

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Quote by the_poison125

If the excercises are becoming a chore. Just listen to some music that you like, and try to play it

edit: johnny got it right ^
get out and play with other people. It keeps you fresh, you learn new things and more important its a social>no stress ,keep it light you'll learn more and want to play more
Jam, write, record, whatever. Just do knew stuff and break out of any routines you have.

or ...

You can try having sex while you play. That'd be fun.
The Gear
Schecter Loomis NT
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Washburn Tabu TB300
Peavey 5150
Laney TT412a

Learn something new. Whether it's a different genre, like Jazz or Country, or a technique/style, like Slide Guitar, it'll keep you occupied.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.