hey there

i have an ibanez rg350 that is fitted with a floyd rose bridge and 009-042 gauge strings. i recently tuned it to drop c and have been having problems ever since, im quite sure its to do with the floating bridge.. when pressing down on frets around the 12th fret the g string and the other 2 high strings dont sound right, they hardly amplify any noise at all the action on the whole guitar seems to be unnaturally low also, although playable for the most part..

ive been told that this has something to do with the spring tension inside the guitar? any help at all in how i should go about fixing this is greatly appreciated
No expert here but u need to either reduce the spring tension/remove a spring or use higher gauge strings as the current setup is allowing the bridge to pull too far back into the guitar.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
they are very light guage strings to be down tuning to drop c, have you considered changing to 10s or even 11s?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
i have considered that but ive also played loads of guitars in drop c with 9s that work perfectly fine.. but then again i cant recall any of them having floyd roses so it might just be the case with those kind of bridges.. ill have to suss it out.. thanks for the suggestion
like the guy before me said, with low gauge strings they don't pull on the springs on the trem as much so itll lie flat and give you bad action. thats my guess anyhoo.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Quote by evilbeavil
hey there

i have an ibanez rg350 that is fitted with a floyd rose bridge and 009-042 gauge strings. i recently tuned it to drop c and have been having problems ever since, im quite sure its to do with the floating bridge.. when pressing down on frets around the 12th fret the g string and the other 2 high strings dont sound right, they hardly amplify any noise at all the action on the whole guitar seems to be unnaturally low also, although playable for the most part..

ive been told that this has something to do with the spring tension inside the guitar? any help at all in how i should go about fixing this is greatly appreciated

9's in drop C? That's mental.

Ideally use heaver strings, but you'll also need to decrease the spring tension to balance the bridge perfectly. You can't do drop C with 9's on a floating bridge, it relies on a certain amount of overall tension to hold it stable...that low and your tuning stability would be non-existent.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Everyone here is right. 9's in drop C wont hold enough tension to raise out the bridge.

a full guide on how to set up your bridge can be seen here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226
The the best FR guide I've seen.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
FR bridges require a LOT more adjustment and detail than non-FR trems and especially hard tails. Basically you should set the guitar up every time you change anything.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Those do require a set up after changing string thickness or drop tuning.

Answer me this... Is your bridge horizontal with your guitar body? It is probable sunken in. If so you will have string buzzing problems. Those trems can be a pain if you change tunings a lot. That bridge should always be horizontal with the body of the guitar if it is not, then it is not set up right. All you should have to do is back out the 2 screw inside the back plate maybe 1 1/2- 2 turns and it should be close.
damn man, if you don't know how to use a Floyd Rose why get one?

but yes it's your springs in the back you can't just tune down like you do with a guitar without a FR on it..... you have to adjust the springs in the back of the guitar and you must leave it in that tune.....you can't just keep going up and down with tuning.... you must keep it in one tune not just adjust tuning when you want...thats why you must have a backup guitar without a FR on it.....
I'm gettin my guitar with a Floyd Rose set up right now in drop C and I'm probably gonna be using 12-56's cause he said the 11-52"s I was gonna use are STILL too light. You CAN"T just tune down that low with a floyd. You need to re set up the whole thing and 9's are definitly not heavy enough to hold any tension. I don't even know how your gonna tune that thing. It's like playing on wet spaghetti.
Quote by 45_shadesofdeat
I'm gettin my guitar with a Floyd Rose set up right now in drop C and I'm probably gonna be using 12-56's cause he said the 11-52"s I was gonna use are STILL too light. You CAN"T just tune down that low with a floyd. You need to re set up the whole thing and 9's are definitly not heavy enough to hold any tension. I don't even know how your gonna tune that thing. It's like playing on wet spaghetti.

dude you get better at it man. i have 12-56 ion mine rightnow too, i use an ESP LTD M-1000. all you gotta do is adjust the tension of the springs. then do the intonation and stuff.

now heres MY problem, maybe someone can help me here. my locking nuts let the string slip, just ever so slightly. i figured that this would be from maybe changing tunings, as it would 'flatten' the locked part of the string, allowing it to slip. but thats not it. i put new strings on and they still slip whenever dropping really low or going really high, using the original floyd. and the nuts are TIGHT as hell. any suggestions?