AUS US
ESP/LTD F-400FM $2,000 vs $999 2 times more then US price

ESP/LTD f-250 $1,300 vs $599 more then 2 times more

Valveking 112 $900 vs $579 slightly less then 2 times more

yes i reduced the aus price a little to consider currency conversion, but can someone explain to me the price difference? is there an actual reason for it?

Numbers were taken from the RRP from musicans friend (list price) and prices from Guitar world for aussie prices
Shipping, tax, customs and stuffs.
If you compare the price to where I live, Sweden it's even higher! More like double... While France and Germany is a little lower so that's why I always ordering from there.
You live on an island on the other side of the world. Shipping costs a fortune and they have to make that money back.
I bet it has something to with gas prices!!! Freakin Gas effects everything.....

....I had to call the cable guy the other day because the channels were all fuzzy, and he said "its because of the high gas prices"..........You can't argue with that!
Quote by WtrPlyr
Maybe because a lot is made in America and then they have to ship it all the way to Australia, which isn't really close

Many are made in China or Korea, too. It's just that US companies have exclusive right that makes shipping in larger quantity and reduce the transport cost by a lots.
But they are about the same price in Thailand as to America and they are shipped over the whole world.

I think Australian officials/politicans are just dickheads. Me being Australian to say that btw.
Shipping will add 100-200 bucks AU then anything over $1000 gets tax raped.

Oh and just a tip anything under $1000 doesent get taxed so order it from us you'll pay shiping but it will usualy be alot cheaper. I bought a sound card from US all up cost me $200AU same card at an australian store is $450
Last edited by GuitarGuitar at Apr 29, 2008,
Youre not alone. European prices are at least as bad:
For example my guitar Jackson SL2H:
US: 2,299 USD
Belgium: €2600 (=4,097.63 USD)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I HEAR YOU!!!!!!!
Im looking for a Vox Valvetronix and even with currency conversion here its more expensive
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by Guitar Sushi
But they are about the same price in Thailand as to America and they are shipped over the whole world.

I think Australian officials/politicans are just dickheads. Me being Australian to say that btw.

Uh Huh. and as many guitars are made in Asia, shipping prices should be CHEAPER.
I'm on the lookout for a second guitar and atm i'm looking at ordering from a U.S site since prices are so high here. There are only a few guitar manufacturing companies based in Australia unfortunately... and they're all only small companies so axes r in high demand so high prices...
And the thing bout pollies, i agree. Bloody Rudd...
Here in England we have to pay basically twice what Americans do, even when it's a European made guitar.

Basically they don't seem to take the exchange rate into account. So what is $200 in America becomes £200 here or 200 whatever else where ever anyone else is; they don't care that it's dollars, pounds and how one is worth more than the other, they just put everything down for '200'.

Then there's all the taxes and shipping costs that some countries will have. Even though a guitar might be made in one country, it can be that they're shipped to another to then go onto dealers, so even though the guitar was made in a country close to you you have to pay more for huge shipping since the guitar would be coming from somewhere else anyway (like some of the Epiphone guitars are made in Asia but are always shipped back to America anyway for quality checking, THEN shipped on to where they need to be sold, even if that means sending them back to Japan or wherever AGAIN).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by hminh87
Many are made in China or Korea, too

It's crap for Aussies, because with so much stuff being manufactured in the Far East and SE Asia, which THEY ARE A LOT CLOSER TO THAN MOST OF US you'd think they'd get a decent deal on some things.
Quote by greggybhoy
It's crap for Aussies, because with so much stuff being manufactured in the Far East and SE Asia, which THEY ARE A LOT CLOSER TO THAN MOST OF US you'd think they'd get a decent deal on some things.

Economies of scale - there's not enough demand in Australia therefore unit for unit the transportation and distribution costs are much, much higher.

Once you've paid to stick 40 containers on a ship it doesn't make too many odds if you send it 1/4 of the way round the world or halfway...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Import tax mostly it's annoying as hell.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Also, despite the US recession guitar prices don't change. So back in 2004 or so when one American dollar was two Aussie dollars, charging twice the amount of Aussie dollars for the same guitar would seem reasonable, right? But now, although the Aussie dollar is catching up to the US dollar, this isn't reflected in guitar pricing, so we're still charging about two Aussie dolars to one American dollar. Sucks.
So if i were to buy a guitar from America, then have it shipped to Australia, if should cost less than actually buying it in store?

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Heh.You're complaining bout prices in Australia?Wait till you compare with the prices we get in Malaysia.Bloody money leeches
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Import tax, shipping tax, wanted profit by seller/store, etc..
Signatures are overrated.
The U.S. is the world's largest importer - everything in the U.S. is cheaper.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
You think thats bad?
in ireland:

Fender Blues Junior: $1169: $479 just under 2.5 times the price
Fender Mexican Strat: $1074: $400 About 2.5 times again
Quote by Dmullar
You think thats bad?
Fender Blues Junior: $1169: $479 just under 2.5 times the price
Fender Mexican Strat: $1074: $400 About 2.5 times again

Dude that sucks. I was able to get both of those with upgraded locking tuners and tremelo springs, hard case for guitar, and cable for $600 as a package deal.
why, are prices bad outside the US?

just kidding. sorry bout that, i'd send you all gear if i could.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011