Im thinking about installing a pre-amp on my bass. What's the difference between a 2-band and a 3-band? Would I need to get extra pots (meaning more holes drilled in my bass) or anything like that?

Is Aguilar any good? Thanks, guys.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
2 band is usually just bass and high eq , 3 band has mids to. the amount of pots depends on what one u get. my mates 2 band has 4 pots.
Oh. Thanks. How much difference does a pre amp make anyway? Im a complete noob when It comes to this.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
It controlls the sound depending on what preamp you get.I would like a 4 band eq since i get really into the details and want to make it just right.The less number the eq the less controll you have over your sound.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
A preamp is exactly what it says, it's a preamplifier, just like the one you have in your amp. It's got EQ and you usually take either a hi and low pot or a hi, mid and low pot and put them in your bass. They control the range of frequencies they state. To me, a 3 band preamp is wicked, however I see no need for a 2 band as mids are the thing I most tweak. If you have a Fender bass, you shoudl REALLY look into getting a John East preamp for two reasons. One it's a direct fit for a standard Fender. And two, it comes prewired and you don't have to worry. Aguilar's are basically a bunch of wires in a box.
I recommend the east preamps too. They are excellent for all applications and esspecially fender jazz basses. Aguilar makes good preamps but they are much more difficult to install and may require drilling more holes. In general a 3 band eq is going to require 5 holes: bass mid hi volume and blend. I prefer a 3 band but many people don't requirenthat much tone control. what kind of bass do u have?
I have a musicman copy, so you can tell that Im going for the musicman active tone.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
if you have a musicman copy then I would go for an aguilar active 3 band eq. Nordstrand makes some awesome pickups for musicman style basses... the two combined would give you amazing tone and versitility. Be sure to have the preamp you choose installed by a tech, because grounding and soldering can be tricky if youve never been taught how to do it properly.
One way of cutting down on the 'mission control' look sometimes sported by BCR customs, Alembics, etc., is to use stacked pots.

That way (usually) the range/sweep control is on the collar lower down, and the boost/cut is the knob on top. Take this EMG kit as an example...

You have regular treble and bass at one place, and the all-important sweepable mid-control at another. All you need is your regular volume control, and with a degree of luck, the PCB will hide under your scratchplate somewhere. Presumably your MM already has a battery compartment, so that's sorted.

You could also try Bartolini, they've a huge range of modular electronics.
Remember you don't necessarily need to get more holes drilled if you use stacked pots to save on space.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have an East Pro and its fantastic. Can make even the worst amps sound reasonably decent as you have so much more control over your sound
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Question:

If you *have* treble/mid/bass dials on your amp, why would you need them on the bass as well? Do they give a better sound being tweaked on the bass, or a different one? Would you tweak both your amp and bass or one or the other?
Speed. You can tweak without having to go back to your amp, meaning it's possible to change tones mid-song. Also, preamps might not have the same placements as amps. My preamp for example has 30Hz, 650Hz, and 5.1kHz and my amp has none of those frequencies.
Also, using EQ before and after distortion can totally change the character of the distortion, and I'm sure it's the same for many other effects.
Im putting in a Seymour Dunky this week, glad to here that Aguilar would work. A store that's selling the pre-amp gives installation free apparently.

Is it worth sacrificing my series/parallel switch in favour of a pot for the pre-amp?
Cuz I don't wanna pay more for woodwork. Damn this all's confusing.

[EDIT] 3 band means you get treble, mid and bass right? So 3 pots only?
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Last edited by shotbythepope at Apr 30, 2008,
[EDIT] 3 band means you get treble, mid and bass right? So 3 pots only?

it could be a 2 pot only if you can get a stacked pot. Usually is bass/treble on the stacked pot and you get a mid knob all alone, anyway creepingjesus73 as more on that issue

Is it worth sacrificing my series/parallel switch in favour of a pot for the pre-amp? Cuz I don't wanna pay more for woodwork. Damn this all's confusing.

Depends on the use you make of it. If it's just a two way switch you could check for push/pull volume knob. Anyway check if they can install you the stacked knob creepingjesus73 and i mentionned.