A little story for all you bass players...
Today I was at Tafe (or kinda like college for you americans) and i was talking to my friend who plays guitar. He was talking about this guy he knew and a conversation they had and his friends said something like this: "****ing bass players, they're everywhere, and not very good.. I swear theres heaps of them, because its easy.."
He kept saying it was easy anyway. So anyways, this is how the conversation went
Me: "Hahaha, this guys a fucking idiot, doesnt know what hes talking about"
Friend: "Yeah, its just what he said, he just doesnt like bass players.."
Me: "I bet hes a guitarist haha"
Friend "Nah, I dont think he playes guitar."
Me: "Oh.. Well hes just a fucking moron then"

Man, some people... And I know, you will say, its natural, get used to it, people just dont like us etc.. But man, some people are just really arrogant, and narrow minded these days..

Another scenario, my girlfriends brother, who is 13 btw, said HES friend says "Bass is for pussies" and also something like "It takes no skill to play bass"
I said "Tell your friend that hes a dick with ears"

What is with all the bassist hate? Dont people just play music anymore? Is there a war going on?
It takes balls to play bass. And more hand strength to play bass than electric guitar..

I am having a bitch and moan I know, but I just wanted to get that out, it pisses me off, and I wonder how people who have played for years and have lots of experiance feel.
Well, I agree and disagree with you on that. You do have to acknowledge that a good majority of bassists out there pick up bass because there are less notes to remember and hardly any chords. That's just the way it is because people in this generation want instant gratification and just want to make some noise.

That being said, playing bass <b>well</b> is a totally different story. There are those bassists that I really respect who actually try at their instruments, and don't just play the root in 8th notes the entire song. I respect the bassists who actually try, and feel that they get thrown into the category of "lazy bassists" too much.

So that's what I have to say about the situation.
In all reality, you can't compare two instruments difficulties. Because, if an instrument is easier than others, than more people will get good at it, and the standard of what is good is raises up.
Bass is the instrument you need most in ANY kind of music...
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
i chose to play bass in my band rather than guitar for 2 reasons, matt freeman and les claypool.
among others they showed me that bass is more than just to back up the guitar and give a thicker sound.
show the haters those 2 bassists and ask them if its still so easy.
Quote by 13brx7
where do you go to tafe? :|

What do you mean?
Its in wollongong near where i live..
Like a mix of school and uni...
my brother plays bass and ive been playing guitar for only a year and i totally appreciate how hard bass is. i think bass is cooler than guitar but i dont think my girly little hands could mange the massive fretboard lol.

i think bass players are really under appreciated because there is alot of easy basslines out there and too many people that are stuck up and cant accept that bass and guitar are pretty much equal in difficulty (depending on what you play)
My bassist friend went to watch the drummer in his band do some performance thing for uni, and he said most of the bassists were quite average, and I think it would be true that the bassists would be less proficient. Not so many people pick it up who are serious about practice for example.

But I wouldn't say guitar or bass are easier than each other, bass is easier to get recognition for in my opinion. If you can slap then alot of people seem to think your god, but to get very proficient it's no different to guitar. I think it's just due to the lack of good bassists that most people think it's easy to play bass, and the simplicity of most basslines.

I'd say the main reason for the lack of bassists serious about practice is you don't get the ones who want to show off how fast they can play, simply because bassists don't seem to get the same ammount of recognition in a band.
Quote by I_Am_Primus
What do you mean?
Its in wollongong near where i live..
Like a mix of school and uni...

i thought we might be doing tafe together thats all, i'm in newcastle
You know what I think?? I think

1) There is a place for your blogs and this isn't it. We have seen so many threads about how people have stories about and I'm frankly tired of it.

2) Your comebacks are very, very uninspired and unintelligent. You should hone your wit. I mean, "He's a dick with ears"? What does that even mean?
Honestly the people in my TAFE Music course worry about more important things then people who are too narrow minded to appreciate every instrument
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
This really belongs in the Pit.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You know what I think?? I think

1) There is a place for your blogs and this isn't it. We have seen so many threads about how people have stories about and I'm frankly tired of it.

2) Your comebacks are very, very uninspired and unintelligent. You should hone your wit. I mean, "He's a dick with ears"? What does that even mean?

You know what the mod thinks? The mod thinks that this thread is being closed and yes, this not the place to wring out your psychological laundry.

Repost out on your profile or the pit as suggested.