Now i am extremly crap when it comes to this i have no knowledge so please try not to be rude. Ok now i am looking to record very soonish, i am hoping to use some programs and what not mix it all together you know all that shiz. But i have no idea about microphones and recording. Now i have some questions i hope you guys can answer.

What microphones do you use?

How do you use it? (does it plug straight into the comp, do you need to line out from an amp)

How much did it cost?

Thank you for all your help.

has no signature.
you can buy programmes and such for this but they are expesive, i'd personaly recomend keeping your money and buying a digital multi track recorder with a built in drum machine, theyre an invaluable piece of kit for recording full songs and keeping sound banks of riffs and ideas.
hope this was of any help.. though i doubt it.
ive recorded with stuff at school and we have used Shure 57's for the instruments, eg guitars and some drums, maybe a shure 58 on the drums as well.

as for pluging into the comp, we used an mbox, i think it was called, basically a two port input that then connected to the computer.

for price wise, the mics were a couple of hundred and the mbox was 800 i think.

we also used a program called protools, its a pretty good program for recording it cames with the mbox so you dont need to buy it seperatly.

and for the bass/keyboard, you may need a D.I, direct input, so from the bass amp, into the D.I and then to the mbox, or keyboard into D.I into mbox.

thats all i can think of for now.
Well I would advise two things to begin with. 1: Go to some music College or something around your area and do an Audio course that preferrably focuses on recording.
2: Ask all your friends who do it as well.

Now, I'm assuming you're looking at just a home studio setup, which I do know a little bit about. I want to build one myself in the next year hopefully, and I know some stuff already.

Ok. Pro Tools and Cubase are the two most common recording programs for the home user and even for some small studios. Basically, whatever you record will end up in a track in your recording program. You can then apply effects to the track, basic things such as compression, volume fade ins and outs, eq, reverb, or even crazy stuff like delay, phasers, flangers, all the 'effects' effects, not the ones you use to make it sound better.

Now, for recording, yes you use a microphone. The two most common microphones used are the SM57 and the SM58. The 58 is normally used for vocals, and the 57 for instruments, but you can swap them around. From my understanding a large part of recording is messing around to see what sounds good.

Then, from the mic, you run into an Nbox, like the other guy said. I think it's Nbox, not Mbox, but I'm not sure. Either way, that's what I'll call it.
Now, you have one or two mic inputs on your Nbox, an auxilliary send, and an input to the computer. The computer input is usually USB I think, but I'm not quite sure. The auxilliary send is basically so you can plug headphones in and have a drum track or something going while you record the guitar.

For drums I'd recommend just using a drum machine or midi drums or something if you're just recording stuff on your own. If you want to do a band, then it gets trickier. I know that you wouldn't use a 57 or 58 on a kick drum, because the sheer amount of sound and bass can either damage the mics or the pre-amp, I'm not sure which. 57 is fine for pretty much all the other drums - snare, toms, floor tom, ect ect. For the mics you would normally use a high-hat mic and two overhead mics to pick up the rest of the cymbals. For the kick drum you'd use something like an AKG1 I think, although I'm not really sure there. Google search, see what you find.

Bass and keyboard, direct injection is your friend. Get a DI box, or the Nbox might have a DI input on it, I'm not sure. You'll have to ask someone else on that.

So anyway, that's about all I know. Hope I helped!
sig goes here
Wow that was extremly helpful thank you very much. I guess i will do a bit more research on that i'm guessing it will come to a fair ammount of money am i right?

has no signature.
Recordign with a desktop is the best way IMO.
you can use free software to record and edit but you will always need some type of interface to get fair sounding audio into the PC.

You can spend anywhere from $150 - $100,000+ in a studio. You just have to look it all up and figure out what you need first.

Read though Tweaks Guide linked in my sig.

-------

For my rig I run a Yamaha MG mixer into an m-audio 2496 PCI interface card. Its not great but works better than the stock card. I'm actually looking to upgrade to a portable setup like a Yamaha digital mixer and Alesis HD24 recorder. A setup like this will allow me to record in the field when I do movies for school and such.
Essentially Skater901 made some decent points, but it is an MBox, not NBox lol. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it as such for you. Many people pay the extra dollar for an MBox to use Pro Tools, but I wouldn't recommend a beginner to use that software. Hard to use IMO, especially when you are starting out.

What are you hoping to record?

Recording will set you back a decent amount of money, if you want a decent set up and some good recordings. How much would you have available to spend ?
There is poetry in despair.
Recording will set you back a decent amount of money, if you want a decent set up and some good recordings.

**spam links removed**
I'm not trying to discourage you, but it will come across as such. I just need you to know what you're getting into. Recording is a real slippery slope.

You know how when you first started playing guitar, you said, "I'd be happy with a $200 beginner guitar"? Of course, you start with an acoustic, and then you want an electric, and then you need an amp, so you get a nice little practice amp. Then you want some pedals, and then you want a bigger amp, and then you find out that there's another pedal that's really awesome that you want and it will replace two of the pedals you got on the first go-round, and....

Recording is the same way. Fasten your seatbelt and start saving your nickels. Get ready for a wicked learning curve. Either that, or get off the train while you still can.

That, and you'll spend so much time learning your new "studio instrument", and that time will need to come from somewhere. Where will you find the time? For me, it was at the expense of improving my guitar chops. What will it be for you?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
gotta love the 2 year old bump from a spam bot...
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp