Page 1 of 2
theres an open mic fund raiser on this weekend and im after a song to play.

here are the requirements im lookin at:

1. easy to learn, im a pretty solid guitarist but i only have 3 days to learn something working around uni, so it needs to be fairly straight forward

2. keeps the crowd interested, my first thought was just to play the guitar part for down to mexico or bark at the moon or something but the verses would be boring

3. Is awesome, i was thinking about a shreddy sorta 4 seasons or something like that but i pretty much have no time.

4. Sounds good with only a guitar, thats right, no access to a band, backing track or anything which kind of sucks. can be electric or acoustic though, preferably electric.

now remember, this is all to help feed starving children so help me pick a song!
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by rocknrollstar
Rat Salad

/fails in life.

that kinda fails requirement 2, and requirement 4 which im about to add...

EDIT:
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Why does it have to be an instrumental?

It would be more impressive if you sing as well, given that you have only 3 days to learn.
next time i see you i'll show you my singing skills and then you'll know their nothing to be impressed by. im not that bad but i have never practiced playing and singing at the same time and its not gonna come together in 2 days thats for sure
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by cocacolabottle
Orion is fairly easy without the solos.

yeah that and the call of ktulu were both options i was looking at but both dont fare too well on the 4th requirement unfortunately, might get away with orion though.

EDIT:
Quote by dangorironhide
'Heartbeats' by José Gonzalez

It'd sound good as an instrumental

that would sound really good, but my finger picking skills arent up to par for that
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Why does it have to be an instrumental?

It would be more impressive if you sing as well, given that you have only 3 days to learn.

+1
Unless you're Steve Freaking Vai or something, Shredding guitar alone does not hold a crowds attention.
But singing and playing, perhaps something by Social Distortion or Stiff Little Fingers, on an acoustic will hold their attention.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
+1
Unless you're Steve Freaking Vai or something, Shredding guitar alone does not hold a crowds attention.
But singing and playing, perhaps something by Social Distortion or Stiff Little Fingers, on an acoustic will hold their attention.

yeah i completely agree with you but i kind of explained the guitar and singing thing a bit earlier on.

ive thought about doing a bit of a solo compilation thing as well, try and work a few different ones together but that might be hard to make sound good if im changin keys all over the place.
play the freebird solo

edit: Eruption
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Last edited by HuckIt at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by Sabu
Something by The Ventures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tmoqeJNmU > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8__EwAT8VM

just had a new idea, play some excerpts from hallowed be thy name and the trooper with the solos from both combined, maybe add some number of the beast for the ultimate iron maiden extravaganza.
Quote by trsc

that would be cool if i was any good at finger picking and if i had a second guitarist
John Cage - 2:13 (or whatever it's called...)

Easiest song ever.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

some Santana instrumental guitar awesomeness obviously
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Easiest song ever.

x1,000

It's 4:33
improvise some blues?? or jazz... then kick in with some more distorted improv... thats wat i'd do anyways..

bring a talk box or wah wah or w/e if u have aby.. that'll impress em
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Easiest song ever.

Way to throw out a totally random number.
Try Midnight by Joe Satriani.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Ball and Biscuit-White Stripes

I like the vocals and guitar.

Hysteria - Muse

If you can pull of the Bass part and singing at the same tIme.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
doomsday for the deceiver by flotsam and jetsam
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
try after midnight by jj cale
its actually quite easy to learn, and works on its own, without singing
Quote by ~Danny~
Must if they break for me, better sounds come from the way you play more-so than the strings.

Quote by ~Danny~
>hen I said 'must', i meant just.

Quote by ~Danny~
I think we've realised I can't type by now...
Ok, no singing then. The best I can think of is Midnight by Joe Satriani. It may look a little daunting to attempt but it's really not that bad and makes you look like you're a freaking god to the untrained eye! It's 4 finger taping using 2 hands and there's only 2 main shapes and a few variations of the shapes. I learned it in an afternoon a few years ago. If you have 3 days you should be able to get it down pretty good and this one will hold an audience because it looks so impressive. Give that a look!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Just play and sing When the Man Comes Around or Hurt or some other Cash song. People love Johnny Cash.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
Tequila - The Champs

xD
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Helical - John Frusciante

Or Prostitution Song, by the same artist
Quote by filthandfury
I only do that on MSN, and I get many complaints about it.

F&F will have cyber sex with you on MSN. He's a bit handsy though.

I have become..... METACARPI!!!!

I wish

Joeymaxx
I missed off the 'al' bit from the word instrumental when I read it.... learning an instrument for an open mic would be considerably harder

Do you like opeth? They have lots of instrumentals.
Go with "Always With Me, Always With You" or "Super Colossal" both by Joe Satriani. The themes and choruses in Super Colossal are very easy but sound awesome, and the solo is not hard at all, it's easy to play fast, but it sounds so freaking epic. AWMAWY has an awesome long ass solo in it. Pretty easy.
Good luck!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I missed off the 'al' bit from the word instrumental when I read it.... learning an instrument for an open mic would be considerably harder

Do you like opeth? They have lots of instrumentals.

That's exactly what I thought. Had I not read the posts, I would've said "recorder" or some sh*t.

Anyway, lenny by SRV is good without a band and is relatively easy.
Quote by Sozes Flying V
Helical - John Frusciante

Or Prostitution Song, by the same artist

Hmm, or Murderers if he has a drum machine and a looper.
Quote by ValoRhoads
Ok, no singing then. The best I can think of is Midnight by Joe Satriani. It may look a little daunting to attempt but it's really not that bad and makes you look like you're a freaking god to the untrained eye! It's 4 finger taping using 2 hands and there's only 2 main shapes and a few variations of the shapes. I learned it in an afternoon a few years ago. If you have 3 days you should be able to get it down pretty good and this one will hold an audience because it looks so impressive. Give that a look!

i like it, a little short though but i can use it with something else i reckon.

Quote by robbo1223
Go with "Always With Me, Always With You" or "Super Colossal" both by Joe Satriani. The themes and choruses in Super Colossal are very easy but sound awesome, and the solo is not hard at all, it's easy to play fast, but it sounds so freaking epic. AWMAWY has an awesome long ass solo in it. Pretty easy.
Good luck!

if i can track down a backing track for either of them and work out how i can actually get it played one of them will do nicely, cheers
Quote by josh999x
Try some standup this might go down well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HyS94O2h0

that is incredible, if i had the effects and a tab or something id do it for sure
Page 1 of 2