hi
have just got a 5 string fretless Harper and it had roundwound strings and i was wondering if flatwound strings would be better on my fretless and not wear the fretboard as much and what ones you think would be best. i play mostly pop/rock with a bit of blues and some motown.
thanks
bill
Last edited by bill reed at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by bill reed
hi
have just got a 5 string fretless Harper and it had roundwound strings and i was wondering if flatwound strings would be better on my fretless and not wear the frets as much and what ones you think would be best. i play mostly pop/rock with a bit of blues and some motown.
thanks
bill

does it have frets or not? or am i misreading this?
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Roundwounds and flats have different sounds. If you apoxy the fretboard, roundwound wear is not a big concern. I love the sound of Roundwounds on a fretless--it gives that mwah a singing quality.

When I play jazz on my fretless (predominately), I tend to use flatwounds, so its not as bright and gives more of a jazz sound. I've also used flats on my Pbass to get closer to that old school R & B vibe.
Half-wounds (or Ground-wounds) are a third option. Brighter sounding than flats, but less wear than rounds.
Also, keeping the wood on the neck in good shape can reduce the wear from round wounds. Dry wood flakes away more from playing.