What is your technique for doing so?

I spent hours listening and studying Mudvayne's bassist's techniques and while practicing, something clicked and I could do a fast percussive slap motion. I was mostly doing it in 8ths but for a few moments I had it down for 16ths.

The technique involved my thumb coming down to a slap as my finger comes away from the pop. Then my finger going into pop position as my thumb comes away from the string. It's hard to explain.

Does this seem familiar to anyone?
Last edited by Ki' at Apr 29, 2008,
16ths at what tempo? almost anyone with a thumb can slap 16ths at 10bpm, but at 200bpm is a whole other matter entirely
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
yeah, but I cant do straight slaps, I can only do it like that if they're coming back from pops (the pull helps me get back in faster... idk.) even if its just one pop or something, I need 1 out of every 4 to be a pop otherwise my thumb can't handle it. idk why. lol. poor technique most likely.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
as long as the pops aren't right next to eachother.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I can, but I can't do straight slaps for long. I can do them when there's two slaps then a pop or something though.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
I mean slap/pop/slap/pop/slap/pop without any hammer-on cheats (of which I could already do for months now).
I do it as a warm up exercise. Build up speed gradually, y'know?

Although, having said that, I rarely write it into basslines; because there's not much rhythmic variety in it. Cool trick for octave slaps up and down a scale tho'!
Practice and work on building speed. Maybe use a mirror or video-cam to watch your technique to see if you're moving your hand too much. Wasted movement in slapping can really slow you down.
I use each motion to prepare for the next. when you thump, you have to get your fingers out of the way a little. so instead of changing angle, start making a fist while you thump. when you pull back for the next thump, if your hand is in the right place you'll be popping and preparing for the next thump.

or at least, that's how I do it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I can do it for short amounts of time, but it's a reflex motion...kind of like a drummer doing really fast heel up double-bass.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Charlatan_001
I love how Tony Levin is just acting like playing that slap line is the easiest thing in the world - of course, it isn't too technical, but the speed and stamina is incredible.

Great bass line, but that's only at around 120bpm by my estimation (with a delay pedal, mind you), not the 160+ desired. But then again, so is Kuru...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..