Hey guys im looking for a new distortion/OD i have a marshall jcm900 amp and i love the OD on it however, i am wanting something that can deliver more clean distortion if you like, think, tom morello style distortion, asin, its heavy as **** but cleaner than a marshall (dare i say, less marshally?)-hope that makes sense.

Atm pedal wise i have an MT2 (****e i know, not used for years), some old DOD thrashmaster and a badmonkey, which just makes horrific noises when going through the marshall, could be my tubes but i generally dont like it anyway.

So i reckon my budget could be about £80-£100 (im gonna sell some pedals).

Suggest away!

Btw if your wondering what pedals i will sell, its basically the 3 above (of which two arent that good) and a marshall regenarator. Maybe my whammy too, but thats another matter.

cheers

tobz
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
BOSS:
DS-2, DS-1

EHX:
Metal Muff, Big Muff Pi (more of a Fuzz)

those are the best I know of. Maybe mod a pedal?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
i havent the patience or expertise but i shall take the other options into consideration

cheers
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Inferno11
Boss MT-12

+1
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Maybe think about a boost pedal, and use the clean channel on your amp. It will deliver a more powerful natural overdrive. Or if you are willing to shell out the cash a fulltone OCD.

BTW, the MT-2 is a P.O.S.

You can a good quality tube marshall, dont wreck that amazing sound with some crappy digital metal distortion
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by Kai07
BOSS:
DS-2, DS-1

EHX:
Metal Muff, Big Muff Pi (more of a Fuzz)

those are the best I know of. Maybe mod a pedal?

I dissagree. He's really looking for an OD.

TS, try something simple like a TS9. It's what your BM is molded after, but it sounds like your BM is dying, or you have a microphonic preamp tube.
This is the thing, i dont really like the badmonkey as its not a tube sound im after, i have a tube sound from my amp, i want a cleaner OD, not so tubey.

I have an MT-2 and it sucks balls. lol
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
it gonna be tough to get a JCM 800 sound (Tom morello) out of a JCM 900. they are such different amps. maybe you could make a trade??
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
hahahahaha

no man, the 900 is perfect for me, i love it. BUT i just want a slightly diff sound out of it, i used morello as an example as i was listening to rage at the time lol

BUT i want an un-tubey sound

just looked at the boss md-2 (mega distortion) looks and sounds great, what do you think?

also looked at the EHX graphic fuzz but its too pricey really and i have an EQ
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
This might be a off the wall suggestion, but I was kind of looking for something like you want too.

Now, I use a GT-8, but I am pretty sure some dis/od pedals do the same thing. If you can find a dis/od pedal that allows you to blend your amp into the pedal. I use this option with the dis/od pedals in my GT-8. It's called direct level. I will use my amps clean channel and adjust the dist pedal's, level and gain, then adjust the direct level of the pedal, and when I am done I can hear my amps clean channel in the distortion. When it is adjusted right it gives you a real clean, tight distortion. You can hear all the notes of a chord when played.
Quote by tobythechimp
hahahahaha

no man, the 900 is perfect for me, i love it. BUT i just want a slightly diff sound out of it, i used morello as an example as i was listening to rage at the time lol

BUT i want an un-tubey sound

just looked at the boss md-2 (mega distortion) looks and sounds great, what do you think?

also looked at the EHX graphic fuzz but its too pricey really and i have an EQ

Morello gets that huge sound out of his amp by running an EQ pedal in his effects loop with all the bands even except the volume, which is all the way up. Might be worth a look.
ninja23 that intruiges me, any idea what its called?
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
You are looking for a solid-state sound out of a tube amp?

Rather than pedals, maybe some therapy might be a better option.

I'm just messing, I don't know what you are looking for but I think I read it wrong, I cant imagine you are truly itching for SS tone.

no not SS tone, but, im not phrasing this right. Ok you know a marshall sound cranked, well its not really distortion as much as its dirty overdrive, and i love that sound, but i wat i also would like is a really manipulative cleaner distortion that i can **** around with. Its late, maybe when i phrase this query properly people will understand.
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
A Visual Sound Double Trouble perhaps?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by tobythechimp
ninja23 that intruiges me, any idea what its called?

I'm sorry, I just looked through 4 pages of OD/DST pedals and couldn't find any. I know I have seen them before. It is almost like running through 2 amps at once. I think your guitar signal gets split, the one signal passes right through the pedal as if it was off, and goes to your amp while the other signal goes into the pedal for the DST/OD effect. Then you adjust both of the levels to blend them together.

How much are you looking to spent? You can prob get a GT-8 for around $200-$250 used. I love my Marshall amp too, but this board offers so much, I can't be without one. When set up right I would say it is 95% transparent in your chain. Effects are real good. Plenty of good distortions, and the programmable options will blow your mind.

Its nice to have a thick distortion and still be able to hear every note in a chord. I will keep looking, but maybe someone else knows what I am talking about. All I know is it's called Direct Level in my GT-8. Sorry I can't help more. I never got into single pedals. I love my GT-8. I am still amazed at the sounds I can get out of it.