Page 1 of 2
In a previous thread I mentioned the Act but now is your chance to show your support for the decriminalization of marijuana in America!

If you're in America and want marijuana to be decriminalized show your support HERE!

That website gives you the opportunity to contact your U.S. House Representative and show your support for the Act.

Now is your chance to do something worthwhile, don't screw it up.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
My question is... if you live in South Africa why do you give a crap about American politics?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
i'm from the UK, i want it decriminalised here damnit!

oh and hi, JD, long time no irc
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by nebiru
My question is... if you live in South Africa why do you give a crap about American politics?

You're right, I should only care about what happens where I live. I shouldn't even worry about what happens outside me house!

Because I want to see justice done. I also want to see America's influence help marijuana become decriminalized elsewhere.

Quote by esther_mouse

If America decriminalises it perhaps UK will copy America as usual. Everyone should support this Act!

Also, don't make me feel guilty
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by esther_mouse

UK just follows America, if America decrimilalised it then we'd probably follow soonish.
Quote by smb
I wouldn't want it legalised, because I wouldn't want it taxed.

good point, if they legalise it, they'll tax it and that'll jack the price up even more. ergo it's better for the consumer if it stays as an illegal substance
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by filthandfury
UK just follows America, if America decrimilalised it then we'd probably follow soonish.

You mean like with execution and stuff?
Quote by filthandfury

Just like we have the same laws here on guns and the death penalty?
What Issue Area should I select? I was thinking judiciary because the official act says "Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults" What do you think?
Quote by GuitarManNick
why the **** just america?!?
legalize it every ****ing where!

No. Don't legalize it. Decriminalize it.

Decriminalization and legalization are two completely different things.

People every day are jailed for up to life for dealings with the harmless herb, marijuana. Legalization of marijuana would mean:

a) The government could tax the hell out of it.
b) Drug dealers would no longer have a job.
c) True, the government could create really awesome bud, but they already do that with medicinal. No need to support capitalism with legalization.

However, decriminalization would mean:

a) Drug dealers still have a job- however, if they're caught, they wouldn't even have to think about worrying about going to court. They would just get a ticket, much like speeding.
b) Our jails would be much more empty.
c) No money for the government- great.
I don't have any nifty things to stick here, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Pancake Bunny
Quote by skater dan0
good point, if they legalise it, they'll tax it and that'll jack the price up even more. ergo it's better for the consumer if it stays as an illegal substance

Actually it would be cheaper. The reason it is so expensive is because it is so risky to grow and import and sell illegally. If you remove those costs even with taxation it would be a lot cheaper.
Quote by JamesDouglas

If America decriminalises it perhaps UK will copy America as usual. Everyone should support this Act!

Yep, that's why the legal drinking age in the UK is 3 years lower than that in the US.

It won't get passed, not whilst the God-fearing and anti-drug mentality of the US remains in power.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by Badreligionrock
Yep, that's why the legal drinking age in the UK is 3 years lower than that in the US.

It won't get passed, not whilst the God-fearing and anti-drug mentality of the US remains in power.

No, it wont get passed without people showing that they WANT it passed. Now people have the chance to formally do so.
The government here is just greedy as hell. Thats why they haven't legalized it yet. If they could figure out a way to sell it and tax the **** out of it then I bet it would have been legalized years ago. Since everyone already knows how to grow it or get it under their noses they don't know what to do.

Just look at moonshiners. Drinking is legal but moonshine is illegal simply because they aren't getting their dollar.
Quote by nebiru
The government here is just greedy as hell. Thats why they haven't legalized it yet. If they could figure out a way to sell it and tax the **** out of it then I bet it would have been legalized years ago. Since everyone already knows how to grow it or get it under their noses they don't know what to do.

Just look at moonshiners. Drinking is legal but moonshine is illegal simply because they aren't getting their dollar.

Dude, focus on not getting arrested for smoking a joint instead of being a cheap bastard.
Quote by JamesDouglas
Dude, focus on not getting arrested for smoking a joint instead of being a cheap bastard.

No, I'm just saying. That's why it will never get passed.
i hope that if america does decriminalise weed, the UK will follow suit, mainly because the stuff we get over here is total crap. if it's decriminalised, we might start seeing some better quality weed
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
i hope that if america does decriminalise weed, the UK will follow suit, mainly because the stuff we get over here is total crap. if it's decriminalised, we might start seeing some better quality weed

Maybe, I have signed lots of these things. We have people that stand outside of stores here with things you fill out and they send them off to senators and ****. Hasn't done anything so far. I'm sure people do that all over.
Quote by Horlicks
You mean like with execution and stuff?

Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Quote by SchitzoJoe

However, decriminalization would mean:

a) Drug dealers still have a job- however, if they're caught, they wouldn't even have to think about worrying about going to court. They would just get a ticket, much like speeding.
b) Our jails would be much more empty.
c) No money for the government- great.

It would still be illegal to buy, sell, or grow. So drug dealers would still be in deep shit if they were caught. The law is only protecting people who, for instance, get pulled over for speeding and the cops find a small amount of weed in the car. And I can see people still getting busted for stuff like intent to sell. I really don't think this law is going to change that much.

Edit:
Quote by JamesDouglas
No, it wont get passed without people showing that they WANT it passed. Now people have the chance to formally do so.

It's still for the most part, socially unaccepted. It's not like it's the first time a bill like this has been passed through Congress.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Last edited by thefuzz454 at Apr 29, 2008,
uh, sorry to break it to you, but this law will never pass.

marijuana decriminalization is not the majority opinion in america. mostly nonvoting stoners want it, not politically active older people. this is the main support base for politicians, not to mention the AARP and all the various christian organizations. as such, no politician is going to support it, and be "that guy who wanted to put illegal drugs back on the streets and in the hands of our children". it doesnt matter the merit of the issue, its political suicide, so it will never pass until a critical mass is reached. and thats probably not coming anytime soon.
I have no opinion on this matter.
In the UK possession is not an arrestable offence - so in that sense it's decriminalised here and has been so for a few years.
Legalizing the canninbus plant doesnt neccisarily mean the goverment can tax it. They can't tax what you grow yourself. They can only tax sales of it. Just get some high grade seeds and plant them. I *cough* have heard this isnt really that hard.
Personally I want things to stay the way they are... And before ye start yes i have smoked weed before and i still do on occasion

If weed was to be decriminalized or legalized in society it would obviosly lead to the drug being more widespread across the country and it would also make its way into the film industry. Instead of all the stars smoking cigarettes all the time joints would become much more common and drugs in general would play a bigger role in the mainstream film industry(not including the ones that focus on the drug dealer getting caught etc )

Invariably over a long period of time this will lead to society as a whole having a much more lax attitude to drugs. This means that as well as the millions of teenagers that smoke ciggarettes there will also be much more smoking joints. And while ciggarettes are certainly bad for your health, long term drug abuse by young teenagers will lead to difficulty in concentration bringing about trouble in school, more crime being committed when someone is "high" and to a lesser extent higher levels of obesity resulting from "the munchies"

Maybe i'm just scaremongering.... but thats what i can see happening......
Don't legalize it, you fools!

The government will do what it does with tobacco.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by rickyy
Don't legalize it, you fools!

The government will do what it does with tobacco.
ill laugh my ass of when people start complaining about second hand smoke, and calling for it to get banned in public like cigarettes. all the hating on cigarettes goes towards hating on pot, and by then cigarettes will be an illegal substance.

Quote by Zugunruhe
uh, sorry to break it to you, but this law will never pass.

marijuana decriminalization is not the majority opinion in america. mostly nonvoting stoners want it, not politically active older people. this is the main support base for politicians, not to mention the AARP and all the various christian organizations. as such, no politician is going to support it, and be "that guy who wanted to put illegal drugs back on the streets and in the hands of our children". it doesnt matter the merit of the issue, its political suicide, so it will never pass until a critical mass is reached. and thats probably not coming anytime soon.

Sorry to break it to you these "politically active old people" were at woodstock before these young "stoners" were born. 50 60 and 70 year olds smoke just as much as 20 year olds and teans you need to wake up. And i voted every year i was old enough so put away your sterotyping buddy and start thinking about facts. Many polititains have already supported this without having career damage and perhaps they've had just the opposite. It sounds like you agree about it being legalized as good thing but you obviously have no idea who is smoking pot. And not every stoner is your typical movie and tv cliche lazy ass.
Quote by Zugunruhe
ill laugh my ass of when people start complaining about second hand smoke, and calling for it to get banned in public like cigarettes. all the hating on cigarettes goes towards hating on pot, and by then cigarettes will be an illegal substance.

I smoke cigarettes

Damn capitalism and what it does best..make a quick buck while exploiting others
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by Zugunruhe

You wont be allowed to smoke in public. Moron.
if they did and sold it for 10$ a gram, the government would make a killing, and drug dealers would have to get jobs if thats all they sold.
Quote by smb
I wouldn't want it legalised, because I wouldn't want it taxed.

It will be MUCH cheaper to produce and sell if it becomes legal.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Sorry to break it to you these "politically active old people" were at woodstock before these young "stoners" were born. 50 60 and 70 year olds smoke just as much as 20 year olds and teans you need to wake up. And i voted every year i was old enough so put away your sterotyping buddy and start thinking about facts. Many polititains have already supported this without having career damage and perhaps they've had just the opposite. It sounds like you agree about it being legalized as good thing but you obviously have no idea who is smoking pot. And not every stoner is your typical movie and tv cliche lazy ass.
im sure the AARP will be on board with legalizing drugs. theyre so progressive.

and even if old people did smoke just as much as teens, it would be medical, and they dont need it legalized if they can get it from a doctor. id love to see a reliable statistic for this, by the way. not that i think you completely mad it up off the top of your head, of course.

and young people do vote less than old people. thats a basic fact of elections.

and the people who support it are from progressive districts. you arent going to get congressmen and senators in the red states or the bible belt supporting it. they have to look good to their constituency, and most republicans dont believe in drug legalization. and even if it got through both the house and the senate, which it wouldnt, it could would still have to get past the president. and you better believe theyre watching out for their image with every vote.
^yes jimmy neutron said in his post about crimes being commited while high. If he means weed hes either joking or horribly informed. Anyone who is interested in this issue should familiarize themselves with the history of how it came to be illegal and also the history of the US goverments propganda campaigns. Also read about how the war on drugs was lobbied for and funded(not totally of course Uncle Sam spent on it too) by alcohol and tobacco companies who want a captive market and didnt want to loose sales to recreational marijauna smokers who would rather do this than drink or smoke tobacco. Im not going to say all the details i know and try to start arguements just saying if u care about this issue on way or another do your own detective work and you might be surprized what you find.
Already legal here , long live the Netherlands..

Ahem, on another note, the Dutch troops support you!

Quote by Zugunruhe
im sure the AARP will be on board with legalizing drugs. theyre so progressive.

and even if old people did smoke just as much as teens, it would be medical, and they dont need it legalized if they can get it from a doctor. id love to see a reliable statistic for this, by the way. not that i think you completely mad it up off the top of your head, of course.

and young people do vote less than old people. thats a basic fact of elections.

and the people who support it are from progressive districts. you arent going to get congressmen and senators in the red states or the bible belt supporting it. they have to look good to their constituency, and most republicans dont believe in drug legalization. and even if it got through both the house and the senate, which it wouldnt, it could would still have to get past the president. and you better believe theyre watching out for their image with every vote.

I never said aarp guys are going to legalize it and these statisics you want me to present you which are based on arrests wouldnt be an accurate way to find out how many older people smoke would it? Do you think cops will search elderly people that reacreationly use pot as much as 20 year olds. The answer is no because of sterotypes believed by people like you. They dont suspect "politically active older people" for 1 and for 2 "politically active older people" arent dumb "stoner" teens driving around with a lit bowl for all to see and smell. So unfoutunatly i have no statistics for you but i respect your opinions.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Apr 29, 2008,
Page 1 of 2