Ok so I use this chord in a riff (Gm7)

What scale can I use to fit it? Would i just use the G harmonic minor scale and lower the 7ths? And what would that be called?

If it is wrong please suggest better scales to use

thanks
Last edited by Nielsyboy at Apr 29, 2008,
^ depends on whether or not the key is actually G minor. if the key is actually G minor you would use that scale.
Quote by z4twenny
^ depends on whether or not the key is actually G minor. if the key is actually G minor you would use that scale.

Stupid question but ...

Would a Gm7 fit in the key of G minor??? It seems weird since the 7 is lowered a half step
Quote by branny1982
just note, G natural minor, not G harmonic minor.

minor - r 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

harmonic minor - r 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

Yes.

G natural minor scale: G A Bb C D Eb F
G harmonic minor scale: G A Bb C D Eb F#

It would be odd to use G harmonic minor over Gm7; that chord contains an F, not an F#.
its probably been answered but i couldnt be bothered to check and i want to sound smart. you will be better off playing the natural minor, as that has the minor 7th of the chord in it, rather than harmonic which is the same but with a major 7th so it wouldnt fit.
As diabeetus-avatar guy was saying, that's only the normal course of action if you're in the key of G minor. It Gm7 is just a chord in your progression but the progression is something like Gm7 C7 F, you wouldn't be in G minor at all and it would be inappropriate to play G minor at all.

Assuming you're in G minor, yes, over that particular chord G natural minor would probably sound better. MAYBE use the raised seventh as a chromatic tone between the minor seventh and root.
Quote by Nielsyboy
Ok so I use this chord in a riff (Gm7)

What scale can I use to fit it? Would i just use the G harmonic minor scale and lower the 7ths? And what would that be called?

If it is wrong please suggest better scales to use

thanks

You can use G harmonic minor over G min7 if you like. If you're adament on using that scale then, to make the chord sound more at home I would raise the seventh like this:

e--3--
b--3--
g--3--
d--4--
a--5--
e--3--

This a G min/maj 7 chord which will sound more jazzy I guess. The only problem is that this chord is really only used in minor chord progessions. So if your preceeding chords are minor then its ok.
Quote by mdc
The only problem is that this chord is really only used in minor chord progessions. So if your preceeding chords are minor then its ok.
The whole point of the harmonic minor scale is for 2 reasons: Firstly, leading tones (M7) sound awesome and secondly to go from a minor chord to a dominant fifth chord. The harmonic minor, imo, only sounds that good when its played over a i to V7 chord.
I also like the idea of playing the chord from the second and fifth degrees respectively of the harmonic minor. So in A harmonic minor for example, play Bmin7b5 then E7 (ALT if you prefer, maybe with #9). Both these chords have tension in them which would create a strong resolve.