How do you learn the major scale inside and out? There are so many, and have many different positions as well. I was looking at www.all-guitar-chords.com, in the scales to learn all the major scales, but I think its gonna take me forever to get this all down. One of my friends told me its easyer then I think, he says that I just need to know the notes on my fretboard and the WWHWWWH pattern. I know the pattern but I haven't got all the notes down. So if I memorize the notes I can play all the major scales on the fretboard using the WWHWWWH pattern? I am just a little bit confused but if this is true I think its starting to actually click in.
Yeah, basically what he said, except memories the notes rather than intervals maybe. Remember the interval pattern TTSTTTS (Tone & Semitone) but in the end if you can just name the notes off by heart it'd be much better.
yes, if you know your notes and the appropriate intervals between notes, WWHWWWH is the major scale in any key. E.G. C-D-EF-G-A-BC, the dashes show whole, where there's no dashes, that's a half
E.G.2
A-B-C#D-E-F#-G#A
A major, each fret is a half step but always remember that there is only one half step between B and C and the same between E and F, all the others are whole steps
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
----------------------------
------------------2--4--5-
-------2--3--5------------
3--5-----------------------

Here's the G major scale, just move up and down the neck to transpose.
Quote by Regression
Yeah, basically what he said, except memories the notes rather than intervals maybe. Remember the interval pattern TTSTTTS (Tone & Semitone) but in the end if you can just name the notes off by heart it'd be much better.

How do I memorize all the shapes of the major scale? I only know one shape.
Quote by ValoRhoads
yes, if you know your notes and the appropriate intervals between notes, WWHWWWH is the major scale in any key. E.G. C-D-EF-G-A-BC, the dashes show whole, where there's no dashes, that's a half
E.G.2
A-B-C#D-E-F#-G#A
A major, each fret is a half step but always remember that there is only one half step between B and C and the same between E and F, all the others are whole steps

Okay well A-B-C#D-E-F#-G#A confuses me now. Isnt that WWWHWWWH???

EDIT: Oh nvm I figured it out.
Last edited by Kash1333 at Apr 29, 2008,
just practice it a lot. back in october when my teacher gave me 12 scales to learn i was like oh my god i could barely remember 1 how will i remember 12 and because of practicing i learned them all. just now i'm truly unlocking those scales, figuring out melody's and ways to connect them.
Quote by Kash1333
How do I memorize all the shapes of the major scale? I only know one shape.

Well, you find a book or web page or post that has the positions and .... memorize
them! It's not all that much work.

There's 2 "typical" organizations for the finger positions. One is based on the CAGED
system. That has 5 finger positions. The other is three note per string system. That
has 7 positions. So, 1 way you memorize 5 things, the other way 7 things. Not
all that much!

Of course, that's just the beginning of actually learning the scale. Once you actually
memorized those positions, I'd suggest starting on memorizing/learning other
organizations of the scale within the finger positions. You have to learn it from
a lot of "different angles" before you can really start seeing just the entire fretboard
and not just positions.

That's why I'd recommend the three note per string system. It might seem like
more upfront memorization, but in the long run it will save you lots and lots of
further memorization because of it's regular nature.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
just practice it a lot. back in october when my teacher gave me 12 scales to learn i was like oh my god i could barely remember 1 how will i remember 12 and because of practicing i learned them all. just now i'm truly unlocking those scales, figuring out melody's and ways to connect them.

Well I dont know all the major scale shapes, so how do I figure them all out? I only know the way that pwrmax said.
Quote by edg
Well, you find a book or web page or post that has the positions and .... memorize
them! It's not all that much work.

There's 2 "typical" organizations for the finger positions. One is based on the CAGED
system. That has 5 finger positions. The other is three note per string system. That
has 7 positions. So, 1 way you memorize 5 things, the other way 7 things. Not
all that much!

Of course, that's just the beginning of actually learning the scale. Once you actually
memorized those positions, I'd suggest starting on memorizing/learning other
organizations of the scale within the finger positions. You have to learn it from
a lot of "different angles" before you can really start seeing just the entire fretboard
and not just positions.

That's why I'd recommend the three note per string system. It might seem like
more upfront memorization, but in the long run it will save you lots and lots of
further memorization because of it's regular nature.

Well how many positions are there?
Try taping the interval on each stings.
Whatever string you tap..that's the Key it's going to be.
Have your picking hand tap it at the 12 fret.
Then H/P with your fretboard hand of the other notes.

This will help you see it on single string or horizantal movement.

like this...taping the G stings.lol

12--0----12--2----12--4----12--5----12--7----12--9----12--11

Same as Prwmax
Towards the nut , one octive higher in G.
Learn it in both ways

------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------11-12-
-------------------------------12---14----------
----------------12---14-15------------------------
----------15----------------------------------------

When starting on the A string

the pattern just shift slighty becuase of the B string.
you know... the B note is on the 4th fret of the G string.. (Tuning..remember?)

The Root starting on the A string. When playing towards the Bridge will remain
the same. When playing towards the nut..you just shift everything on the B string
1 fret.

In C
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------12--13----------------
--------------------------12--14---------------------------
------------12--14-15-------------------------------------
-----15----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Ordinary at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by Kash1333
Well how many positions are there?

If you don't try to organize the fretboard in some way, there's infinite "positions".
Would you want to try and memorize that all at once!?

So, the best way to start is probably pick ONE organization and learn it well. I gave
you a choice of two common organizations. One has 7 positions, the other has 5.
Pick the one you want to start with and learn it. Either one is probably not more
than a weeks worth of memorization effort at 1 hr/day.
Alright I am so frustrated and confused right now, I know this shape for the all the keys,

but I don't know other shapes to play the major scales.
Quote by edg
If you don't try to organize the fretboard in some way, there's infinite "positions".
Would you want to try and memorize that all at once!?

So, the best way to start is probably pick ONE organization and learn it well. I gave
you a choice of two common organizations. One has 7 positions, the other has 5.
Pick the one you want to start with and learn it. Either one is probably not more
than a weeks worth of memorization effort at 1 hr/day.

Well I don't know the 7 position or 5 position one.
Okay so is this a good idea? Should I pick s major scale say C Major scale and learn all the different ways to play it on the fretbaord? Then move on to another, etc.
Learn everything in the key of C first. This will be your refernce piont to everything
else. All of the white keys on the piano. Generally all other instruments are tuned
to the key of C.
The 1/2 step are between E/F (3,4).....and B/C (7/8)

well if you shuffle the pattern dowm to the 5th Fret..you'll be in the Key of A.
The count starts from the 5th fret now.
You hit the same notes if you tap the A strings.
A is now the ROOT.

That's it...i wish it was more complicated than that...but it's not.lmao
Once you figure out one, you automatically know the relative scale. It's ALMOST as simple as that. And I mean. Lets say you're learing C Major, ok, you've got it, now learn G major, it's just starting on the G and instead of an F, an F#, once you learn a few it will become much easier, trust me. You'll devise your own little system of recognizing them.
Quote by one vision
Once you figure out one, you automatically know the relative scale. It's ALMOST as simple as that. And I mean. Lets say you're learing C Major, ok, you've got it, now learn G major, it's just starting on the G and instead of an F, an F#, once you learn a few it will become much easier, trust me. You'll devise your own little system of recognizing them.

The only thing is then I need to figure out all the different ways to play the scale because I only know the one pwrmax said. Does anyone know a site or something I can find them all at?
Last edited by Kash1333 at Apr 29, 2008,
yeah pretty much... just like moving the power chord around.
There's more...but it might confuse you.

well... there's that backwards and the single string that I tab.

It bascailly repeats itself over and over again.

The other stuff will come in time and you're basailly just stringing
patterns together. and you recognize the arppegios of the chords
on different frets and strings.

Okay..remember how i said the pattern shift at the B string.

In C maj pentatonic ...this will help you see the box. (2 octive)

--------- 5--------8------
----------5--------8------
-2-------5-----7----------
-2-------5-----------------
----3----5-----------------
-----------------------------

C Ionian as you know it as Cmaj...so I'm not going to tab it

C lydian.
-----------------
-----------------
--2----4--5----
--2----4--5----
---3-------5---
-----------------

C mixolydian
--------------------
-------------------
-2--3-----5------
-2--3-----5------
-----3-----5-----
-------------------

okay now the pentatonic using the 5th fret as a sort of hook piont

--------3------5-----------8--
--------3------5-----------8--
-----2---------5------7-------
-----2---------5------7-------
--------3------5------7-------
--------3------5----------8---
Quote by Kash1333
The only thing is then I need to figure out all the different ways to play the scale because I only know the one pwrmax said. Does anyone know a site or something I can find them all at?

learn the notes on the fretboard, then learn the pattern of intervals for the major scale ie

WWHWWWH

then just work with the scale, choose a key then pick a root note anywhere and work out which notes follow on using the pattern of intervals and find the different places they occur, when you get to an octave just start the pattern again.

It's actually very easy to do, it just takes a while for it all to sink in.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'll tell you what I did. I learned all the positions as exercises and knew them so well that I was able to visualize each one individually. Then I learned all of the standard 5 string sweep arpeggios in the key. After that I combined the "Ionian, Dorian and Phrygian" positions. From there on I used the arpeggios to switch between shapes. Until I could transition from all of those shapes well enough. Also knowing the notes on the fretboard help from getting across the fretboard, if you know you have to hit a C and see it somewhere far away, you hit it and then you end up in a different position to solo in.
Quote by steven seagull
learn the notes on the fretboard, then learn the pattern of intervals for the major scale ie

WWHWWWH

then just work with the scale, choose a key then pick a root note anywhere and work out which notes follow on using the pattern of intervals and find the different places they occur, when you get to an octave just start the pattern again.

It's actually very easy to do, it just takes a while for it all to sink in.

I know the WWHWWWH/TTSTTTS pattern but I get confused when working with the scale, I wanna know all the different ways to play them. I only know how to find the major scale of any key with this pattern.

So basicly I should just say for example play in the key of C, find any root note of it and make up a different pattern without doing it like how I did in what I showed you I knew?

Sorry if I am not figuring this out fast enough guys but I seem to be very confused and I am trying my best to figure it out.
Quote by Kash1333

Sorry if I am not figuring this out fast enough guys but I seem to be very confused and I am trying my best to figure it out.

LOL. You DO know how to do a net search, don't you? I figure you must if know
how to post on a forum ....

I'll give you the seven 3 note per string patterns for G major. If you want the five
"CAGED guitar positions" ... seek and ye shall find.

BTW, any key is always the same set of patterns. They just "start" on different
frets

G Diatonic Major

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o | | | |  3<--- 3rd fret G Major
| | o o | |  4
o o o o o o  5
o o o o o o  7
| | | | o o  8

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o o o | | 5
o o o o o o 7
o | | | o o 8
| o o o | | 9
| | | | o o 10
| | | | | |

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o o o | | 7
o | | | o o 8
| o o o | | 9
o o o | o o 10
| | | o | | 11
| | | | o o 12
| | | | | |

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o | | | | | 8
| o o o | | 9
o o o | o o 10
| | | o | | 11
o o o o o o 12
| | | | o | 13
| | | | | o 14

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o o | | | 10
| | | o | | 11
o o o o o o 12
| | | | o | 13
o o o o | o 14
| | | | o o 15
| | | | | |

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o o o | | 12
| | | | o | 13
o o o o | o 14
o o | | o o 15
| | o o | | 16
| | | | o o 17
| | | | | |

E A G D B E
| | | | | |
o o o o | | 14 
o o | | o o 15
| | o o | | 16
o o o o o o 17
| | | | o o 19
| | | | | |

Quote by Kash1333
I know the WWHWWWH/TTSTTTS pattern but I get confused when working with the scale, I wanna know all the different ways to play them. I only know how to find the major scale of any key with this pattern.

So basicly I should just say for example play in the key of C, find any root note of it and make up a different pattern without doing it like how I did in what I showed you I knew?

That's just it, you won't figure it out "fast", you need to spend some time studying and working with it. It's bound to be confusing at first, that's the whole point of studying something, to make sense of it. It's not like a tab where you just look at it for a while and can play it. With a scale there's not really anything to play, you instead need to learn how the scale works and how to use it.

If you know the WWHWWWH pattern and know the notes on the fretboard then you can work this stuff out. You're not really going to get any benefit from somebody spoonfeeding you the end results, it's like somebody giving you the answers to maths questions without telling you the working.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That's just it, you won't figure it out "fast", you need to spend some time studying and working with it. It's bound to be confusing at first, that's the whole point of studying something, to make sense of it. It's not like a tab where you just look at it for a while and can play it. With a scale there's not really anything to play, you instead need to learn how the scale works and how to use it.

If you know the WWHWWWH pattern and know the notes on the fretboard then you can work this stuff out. You're not really going to get any benefit from somebody spoonfeeding you the end results, it's like somebody giving you the answers to maths questions without telling you the working.

Well I thank you very much for your help once again and to everyone else who has helped me out. I'll try to get this stuff down.

Thing is I am kinda rushing myself because my friends are like really good at guitar and they have only been play for a couple years and they can shred and everything. I just don't know how they learn so fast, but I am not sure how much theory they know either.
Thing is I am kinda rushing myself because my friends are like really good at guitar and they have only been play for a couple years and they can shred and everything. I just don't know how they learn so fast, but I am not sure how much theory they know either
Motivation is good, but it's not a competition. You don't have to prove anything to anyone
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by pwrmax

Here's the G major scale, just move up and down the neck to transpose.

WRONG!!

you need to learn every position, i'm gonna find the CAGED system and post it for you.

EDIT: Never mind, it wont upload
Last edited by lt hopkins at May 1, 2008,
WRONG!!
How is what he posted not the G major scale?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by lt hopkins
WRONG!!

you need to learn every position, i'm gonna find the CAGED system and post it for you.

EDIT: Never mind, it wont upload

Actually what he said is CORRECT !
Quote by Ænimus Prime
How is what he posted not the G major scale?
It is certainly a way to play the G major scale, but to call it the G major scale is wrong.

I would call it "a fingering for a one-octave G major scale."