Ive been using a strenghthening tool thats a bit like a gripmaster but looks like this (not exactly):

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/Gripper_hand_grip_strength.jpg

I have a friend that tells me that i shouldnt because it makes the muscles in my fingers on my left hand too strong and it can make it harder to hold down one string at a time or something like that.

What are the pros and cons of using a device like this? Are there any cons?

thanks
the cons are that you'll lose flexibility.
it's better to just play guitar i think.
Dude, you're not going to lose that much flexibility. The best trained athletes condition the muscles they use too. Just don't overdo it. A lot of players could use a little extra strength.

Pros - Strong Fingers
Cons - Does not strengthen ALL of the muscles you need to play, and does not build muscle memory which is more important than finger strength.
Quote by Wasted Resource

Pros - Strong Fingers
Cons - Does not strengthen ALL of the muscles you need to play, and does not build muscle memory which is more important than finger strength.

Thats it right here. Better off using that energy playing/practicing. When you cant practice, its better to limber up and recover. I do finger/wrist stretches and massages on my commute to and from work so Im nice and limber when I get home and grab the axe!
From a bodybuilding stand point: If you want to increase your grip, the best exercises for that are forearm exercises. Also non specific grip exercises include picking up anything heavy that rely on grip like dead lifts. The flexor muscles in your fingers are attached to your fore arm muscles and the use of your forearm muscle will directly result in grip strength, but it doesnt really benefit you much for playing guitar. I have a crushing grip yet i still had to develop finger strength.

Muscle memory is the most important part of any movement in the body. Its really not a matter of how strong your fingers are, but how trained they are. Only thing that will 100% prepare youre muscles for a specific movement... is the exact movement itself.
I lift weights pretty hard and it doesn't hurt my playing as long as I don't try to play just after a workout. I used Captains of Crush grippers as part of my weight training too.

If you just want to build finger strength get one of those little finger exercisers where you can individually press down fingers. There are grip caps for them too to help build string callouses. Also just practicing barre chords over and over will build lots of finger strength.
Well I had a guitar teacher a couple years ago and he lectured us on how pointless those are. Which that makes sence to me cause you dont really need some ripped fingers to press down a fret ya know? He basically told us that they are a "scam"/useless. But if they work then go right ahead, I've never used one and I can play just fine for hours upon hours (we're talking a long time here) just straight playing without getting to tired :/ Only really get tired from running around lol
(just read hunter33's message)
I personally have never touched weights in my life, I weigh around 115-120 (im 16) and I'm just fine with playing