Ok, if this sounds stupid, feel free to say. Also, if you've heard of anything similar, please speak up.

I've got a basic competence with wiring, not much though, and was contemplating building my own effects, maybe a booster or a fuzz face clone. The only problem was I couldn't see how i could easily/cheaply build a casing. Then I had the idea of placing the circuit board in the guitars electronics cavity, using a push/pull pot for the switch.

Could it work, sound cool?
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Its been done many a time before.
Matt Belamy, prime example.
Also, check out the banshee guitar on you tube. Its more midi based but same idea.
You can buy enclosures from www.pedalpartsplus.com
There are other places too, but ppp is really nice and cheap, and offer finishing and custom drilling.

Of course, it's possible to build a circuit into your guitar. Matt Bellamy of Muse has a Fuzz Factory in one of his guitars and a Kaoss Pad in a couple others. Frank Zappa had a guitar with a Green Ringer in it. There are lots of other examples too. Personally, I wouldn't want to do that with any of my guitars, but if you do, it's definitely possible.
im thinking of having a fuzz factory kill switch reverb and phaser built into my guitar im slowly getting there, im also going to replace the neck pickup with a sustainer
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
im thinking of having a fuzz factory kill switch reverb and phaser built into my guitar im slowly getting there, im also going to replace the neck pickup with a sustainer

That would take some work! All i'm thinking of is some really basic stuff.

Also, thanks to kyrreca for the link
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
if you need some help or ideas, give Mansons an e-mail. They're a guitar shop in Exeter in the UK, and they build Matt Bellamy's guitars (as someone else said, prime example of in-guitar effects ).

I've always fancied putting one or two effects into a guitar, I think I may try and get a sustainer in my guitar in the future. They're amazing!
Quote by aether3089
if you need some help or ideas, give Mansons an e-mail. They're a guitar shop in Exeter in the UK, and they build Matt Bellamy's guitars (as someone else said, prime example of in-guitar effects ).

I've always fancied putting one or two effects into a guitar, I think I may try and get a sustainer in my guitar in the future. They're amazing!

I've tried that. they never email back about that stuff.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
I've tried that. they never email back about that stuff.

Naaa, they're very uptight unless you go down and see them, if you go to the shop and Hugh is in, he's happy to help, but never replies to emails. You can't even order a guitar from emailing them, have to go down and personally see them.
Quote by TomR
Naaa, they're very uptight unless you go down and see them, if you go to the shop and Hugh is in, he's happy to help, but never replies to emails. You can't even order a guitar from emailing them, have to go down and personally see them.

Yeah I imagine Manson gets bombarded with e-mails from kids. "Hello, I have £300, I can haz Mat Ballamie guitarz?" If you're serious about getting a Manson, make a visit, or at least a phone call.
Quote by rancidryan

I'm getting a sustainer (humbucker model) put in my LP with a floyd rose.
I did start a thread about it but got to lazy on doing it and gave it to a pro to do, haha.

I'm also getting a P90 put in the Mid position and having it with an On/Off Switch.
I'm also getting a cheap set of small pedals like Danelectro FAB's to wire in all over the place with some mini-toggles.
Will be a great guitar once it's finished.

That said, guitars with even the slightest amount of originality are great.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
im literally doing that right now but ive found a problem. Even though its a small circuit you will almost certainly have to rout some of your guitar. There was simply not enough room in my strat or my sg for the fuzz face circuit. Anyone experience different?
Mhmmm, it's do-able.

My 1979 gibson RD has built in Expansion and Compression... If they could do it back in the 70, they can do it now... unless ofcause you're ozzy ozborne
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
You have an RD Artist? :O

Sir, I officially envy you.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by blackmambana
im literally doing that right now but ive found a problem. Even though its a small circuit you will almost certainly have to rout some of your guitar. There was simply not enough room in my strat or my sg for the fuzz face circuit. Anyone experience different?

Damn, thats basically the same choice that I have...

Surely it would be possible to hold the circuit in the cavity that holds the strats tremolo strings? But that would require drilling a hole to reach the output jack.

Another problem would be the need for some kind of extra pots to adjust the fuzz, and i really want to keep the guitar stock looking.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
You need extra pots (well at least one!) unless you dont want a variable fuzz but there really isnt much room for that at all in the scratch plate. Yes i looked at the trem cavity as well but if you think about it it will probably cause more problems as mounting it may be an issue and drilling a hole to reach the output jack will be a pain in the arse.
Unless you are planning to constantly turn the pots on the fuzz face, I don't really see the point in building it into a guitar anyway. Matt Bellamy's effects (Fuzz Probe and Kaoss Pad) have proximity sensors that he can manipulate with his hand, so it makes sense to have them in the guitar. A regular fuzz face isn't really suited for that kinda thing, so you might as well put it in an enclosure so you can use it with other guitars as well. Built-in effects are a cool idea, but often it's more of a gimmick than something useful.
How much would it cost to stick in :
A. A killswitch
B. A sustainer pickup
C. A fuzz factory OR Kaoss Pad?

I'm using a Yamaha Pacifica.. so maybe I'm dreaming... but it'd be nice to know prices and what needs to be done.
Aaah, sorry mate. Just thought this was one of those really active forums where the old posts like... don't get views/replys.

Should I make my own post for this?

Apologies for who ever's post I stole... just thought these things were kinda linked

Sorry again
Quote by The Gore Child
How much would it cost to stick in :
A. A killswitch
B. A sustainer pickup
C. A fuzz factory OR Kaoss Pad?

I'm using a Yamaha Pacifica.. so maybe I'm dreaming... but it'd be nice to know prices and what needs to be done.

A. no more than $5
B. How ever much a sustainer pickup costs
C. ALOT - FFs are about $230 AUD, and kaoss pad is extremely difficult to do, unless you pay attention to what your doing and go by phil's tutorial (google kaoss pad mod)