Whats up everybody, I just started playing guitar yesterday by the help of a friend and I am trying a few songs but everything seems to be too hard

Is there some kind of practice thing I can do to in order to make this easier, or is going straight into songs and playing as much as possible the best thing to do?

Either way, can someone give me some very easy songs to play?

I am attempting come as you are by Nirvana's intro right now, and I almost have it down(i know its really short)

I attempted Knights of the Island Counter by David Melillo but I screwed up terribly there, as well as with Dammit by blink 182.

I cant seem to play any other strings except for 6 and 5(the two that are closest to my face)...

Any very easy tabs or some advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would go on About.com, and start with their beginner lessons. I personally think they cover alot, and with maybe one or two a week, you should be able to get a good, solid base to start with. If i were you, when you learn songs, dont try to play them at their actual speed to start with. Take it slow, and gradually build up to the songs speed.
im considering going to get a few lessons to help me "build a base" like you said

I have no money so im still considering it though lol..ARE lessons really that helpful? are they worth the price(25 per lesson, 5 lessons for a 100)

Do you suggest going to get lessons? i dont see what they could possibly do besides teach me songs and I have all the tabs ill need on this site...
IRON MAN!
SMOKE ON THE WATER!
Any punk song known to man.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Apr 29, 2008,
Quote by Lickitysplit
im considering going to get a few lessons to help me "build a base" like you said

I have no money so im still considering it though lol..ARE lessons really that helpful? are they worth the price(25 per lesson, 5 lessons for a 100)

Do you suggest going to get lessons? i dont see what they could possibly do besides teach me songs and I have all the tabs ill need on this site...

Depends on the lesson type. I'm taking a beginner's course via my university (and because of that very cheap) that teaches me alot of stuff I already picked off the internet, but every now and then I get tips that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. About sitting position, how best to hold the neck etc. Also, I don't think anything beats a face to face interaction with your teacher, both with a guitar. Beats looking at tabs that don't really 'teach' you anything.
Quote by Lickitysplit

Lessons are helpful, and I would definitely take them if I only had the money for it Sure, tabs and UG is great, but like someone above me wrote, nothing compares with face-to-face interaction. A teacher will see your mistakes, and he'll tell you how you can correct them - UltimateGuitar can't do that for you, neither can any tab. If you are good for the money, I'll suggest that you at least try a lesson or two.
Last edited by Anlino at Apr 30, 2008,