Okay. So, I'm currently picking out a new guitar, and I think I've settled down, but you never know. But, that isn't the point. The point is, I've got a job now, so it's going to be time to splurge in not too long..So, I want you all to help me decide on a few pedals and an amp.

I play 80's rock/metal (Zeppelin, Metallica, AC/DC) and songs by Buckethead, the softer ones (Soothsayer, Whitewash, Sail On Soothsayer..etc)

For an amp..I was thinking Marshall JCM800..maybe an Orange Rocker, but that's going to cost quite a bit.

For Pedals..I was thinking maybe:

Overdrive/Tube Screamer: Maxon OD808/Ibanez TS808
Delay: No idea
Chorus: Dunno
Reverb (If not already on the amp): Yet again, no idea.

I'm going to say..a price range for all of this(Amp AND Pedals)..around $1,500..(USD)

Thanks ya'll.

Edit: If it matters, I'm currently just playing in my basement, but I might get in a band some time..never know

Double edit: Also, I live in a very small city in Missouri..so, I can't really try anything out without driving two hours away..
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Apr 29, 2008,
right

So how much do you think the amp will cost? Just trying to think of rough price estimates here.
Uhh, more or less..$1,000 I 'spose.

Also..I'm a little slow, so I just now got what your name said I've got to say, it rules. Llamas rock out loud.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
I'd say

Maxon OD808
Visual Sound H20 (Delay and Chorus)
EHX Holy Grail

Thats only rough but thats an idea.
echo parks a decent delay
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
the JCM 800 would probably be a good option

a boss delay would probably be good, either the DD3 or DD6
not a clue about reverb or chorus
Top lel.
Hmm, to be honest (not flaming, don't hurt me ) I haven't really been a big fan of Boss pedals, but their price is a plus..
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Well it depends what type of delay you want.

Analouge (like a Deluxe memory man) or Digital? (Like a DD-6)
Ah. I'd have to say, analog, by far.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
im going to say hughes and kettner 20th annerversary edition tube. nice fender clean with great drive channel. lots of gain on tap, it can achieve the tones you are looking for. its a small compact combo thats 20 watts. 20 watts is great if you ask me, you can play it at reasonable volumes at home, and at small venues its just loud enough to turn up high without drowning everyone out. i actually prefer this amp to the rocker 30, the rocker 30 gets muddy real easy if you ask me. the jcm800 may be a better choice for tone but its going to be painfully loud, big, and just impractical if you ask me. this amp runs at about 750$. the only real issue i have with the amp is the global eq, but you can buy an eq pedal to fix this. leaving you another 750 to spend on nice pedals. i would say get a line 6 dl4 for delay, an mxr10 band eq, maxon od-9 for an overdrive. the amp has a built in reverb, but you can still get an ehx holy grail. then just use leftover money on the best chorus pedal you can afford.
Alrighty, I'm listening to this amp on youtube (which I know isn't really the best site in the world) and I reallllly like the cleans..sounds really good. I think this is really close to what I'm looking for..first time I've actually heard of Hughes and Kettner..thanks man.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Ooh, hehe. I just got done watching that. Oh, and to the person suggesting the windsor..I almost got that before I got my Valveking..i'm raelly not a fan of that one.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Why get a huge amp if you're just playing in your basement? You won't be able to turn the volume past 2 or 3, and that low it'll sound pretty bad. My advice is get a small, 5-15 watt amp so you can crank it when you want great tone. I'd recommend the VJ or a Blues Junior.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Well, the Hughes is only 20w, so I'm pretty closely looking at that one.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
If you want analog delay mxr just came out with a new delay called the Carbon Copy. It has 600ms of delay and a mod setting and its $150 i think.

For reverb, i think the boss rv-5 is better than the holy grail. I have played both numerous times, and i own a boss rv-5 and it has more depth and options. You can pick one up used on ebay $100.

For the overdrive, if your decent at soldering buildyourownclone offers an overdrive pedal thats an exact replica of a vintage ts808, and they give you mods that you can do. This is about $100 bucks after shipping.
I would get an Ibanez TS9, a line 6 echo park delay, an EHX small clone chorus, and a EHX holy grail Reverb.
of the two amps you mentioned, I would get the JCM 800, because the chorus delay and reverb are going to sound best in an effects loop, and the orange rocker dosent have one.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park
Ah, the Carbon Copy sounds quite good..I really like the Deluxe Memory Man, as well But that's wayyy expensive for a pedal..
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by nezv6
I would get an Ibanez TS9...

the maxon od-9 stomps on the ibanez ts9 imo... and i agree with the poster above, the rocker 30 dosent have an fx loop for modulation and delay effects and the clean channel dosent have an eq. ill say it again the hughes and kettner is your best choice. dont let the price fool you it compares to the rocker 30 and jcm800 very well. ive played it a number of times and was close to buying it once. just keep in mind ive heard some complaints about rattling when the amp is cranked, i never first hand experienced the problem you should test out the one you try out. even though i heard this issue is easily fixed with the tightening of a few screws on the back, you can never be too careful.

since you play in a basement i think the fact that the H&K is only 20 watts is basically the seller for you. it can handle a band situation nicely too. it starts to break up really nicely on the clean channel at around 2 or 3 o clock, so cleans may be hard to achieve on stage, but playing with youre volume knob ought to do the trick. i really am a big fan of the h&k. i think you should most definently try it out.
Yeah, I'll try to look around the St. Louis area for a store that has one I can try out. I'm still looking for an OD pedal, and chorus (Don't like the small clone, at all. I might not even get a chorus.) I'm pretty sold on the Holy Grain for reverb..Still kinda looking for Delay, but right now I'm at the Carbon Copy. REALLY sold on that H&K.. Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by I Be Andyy
Yeah, I'll try to look around the St. Louis area for a store that has one I can try out. I'm still looking for an OD pedal, and chorus (Don't like the small clone, at all. I might not even get a chorus.) I'm pretty sold on the Holy Grain for reverb..Still kinda looking for Delay, but right now I'm at the Carbon Copy. REALLY sold on that H&K.. Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

again i urge you to try out the maxon od-9 its my favorite booster pedal in that price range. for delay if you want digital then you should go line 6 dl4 or a tc electronic nova delay. if you want analog you can go carbon copy or visual sound h20, its an analog delay and chorus in one pedal. some other overdrive pedals i tried and liked was the voodoo lab sparkledrive and the mi audio tubezone. the crunchbox is nice, but its a distortion.

edit- another cool pedal you might wanna try out would be the maxon sd-9. can give up to 55 db of boost! ive been wanting to try out this pedal for a while and never got around to. if you do, make sure to tell me how it is.
Last edited by mrchow at Apr 29, 2008,
Ah, yeah. I've got everything figured out, and since so many people say the OD9, I'll give that a go. I think I've got everything now..thanks ya'll..

Oooh, is there a major difference between the Maxon OD9 and the Maxon OD9 Pro Plus? Besides 50 bucks?
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA