Alright, well I plan on getting a cheap tube amp (peavey valveking 112), and I was wondering do I need a OD pedal to get high-gain (not that high, but as high as vai/satch style gain) sounds out of the valveking, or is on built-in boost enough? If i do need a pedal, which ones would you recommend? I'm looking at a Bad Monkey or OD-1 if i need one.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Last edited by The Hummingbird at Apr 29, 2008,
I know that Vai uses the DS-1 from boss to push his tubes a little harder
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
^ Vai uses Modded DS-1s, not stock.

For a OD pedal i suggest a tubescreamer esque pedal like a Ibanez TS808 or Maxon OD9. They're very popular to push amps into more metal territory.

If you're on a budget, the Bad Monkey is a very good value pedal.
were you able to try the amp out in a music store?
If yes, then you can surely try out a bunch of different OD pedal with your amp.
I myself settled on the BBE Green Screamer Very good for $100.
Make sure you link several up in a row so you can turn one on and off at will and switch to another OD pedal. Worked for me.
Bad Monkey for me.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Well i did play a valveking at guitar center with a cheap ibanez rg there. I'm not too sure if they'd like it that i brought my own guitar in to test it. With the pedals, they have a small wall of all their pedals chained, so I can't take one down to try it with the valveking.
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
If they give a crap that you bring in your own guitar, then walk the **** out and never come back. As for the pedals on the walls, they are bound to have them in stock somewhere behind the register. If you show interest in buying one (for real) they should let you play them on whatever amp you feel like. Be the boss. Tell them what you want, get him to suggest something so that he doesn't feel left out.

Have the hook them all up and jam, experiment. Most importantly is that you act like you are dead set on making a purchase that day, that way they can't get pissy about how long you play for. If you want too make the purchase that day, sweet.

Don't rush the purchase of an OD pedal. Plus, make sure you cover all styles of music you like playing with your favorite OD pedal. That should cover everything.

Good luck and don't take **** from anyone. You are the one shelling out hard earned cash for their product. Make them work for it
It'll depend on which GC you go to, but the one I went to had no problem with me bringing in my own gear.

I went to one here in New York City with my TT and C-1+ and asked to try out some cabs. The employee I talked to was more than happy enough to set me up in the "quiet" room with cabs, cables, and even a TS9, because I told him that I forgot mine at home. Awesome stuff.

As for the original post, definitely shoot for a Bad Monkey if you're on a budget.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick

As for the original post, definitely shoot for a Bad Monkey if you're on a budget.

Screw that. shoot for it period.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
So I guess Bad Monkeys are really good for overdriving a tube amp? And they're really cheap too, so thats a +
Does anyone know a reliable AC adapter (i'd like a link) for that pedal, as I've read some crap reviews about the digitech one.

And that pedal will work well with the Peavey, as I like the tones going straight from guitar -> amp.

Also, should the bad monkey go in the fx loop or nah?
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
.... putting an OD in the effects loop.....

lol.

just go ahead and put it in front.
Quote by HxCori<3
Not sure about the AC adapter issue, but yes, that should work great with your Peavey. Don't throw it in the FX loop - keep it between your guitar and the input.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by ParryPerson
.... putting an OD in the effects loop.....

lol.

just go ahead and put it in front.

haha i'm sorry. i only have a basic solidstate amp right now that has nothing except an unusable overdrive channel (and of course, the normal, nothing special clean channel)
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Last edited by The Hummingbird at Apr 29, 2008,
One more question for you guys out there, since the valveking has two inputs, once hooked up to an OD Pedal (probably the Bad Monkey), which input would I want to use?
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
It's a high-gain and a low-gain input, right? Throw it in front of your high-gain input.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
It's a high-gain and a low-gain input, right? Throw it in front of your high-gain input.

And lets say I had a delay/chorus/etc pedals, would I want to chain that in front of the OD pedal, behind, or in the efx loop?
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Not sure about chorus, but delay is usually in the FX loop.
Axe-FX Standard
Hmm... Wait, I can get high gain sounds (like, able to tap on the high E?) using this as a boost (no gain) into the peavey at acceptable volumes, right?

Cause I just watched this video on someone who played the bad monkey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNJUB-tkQY
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R