So I've always dreamed of getting a cheap guitar like a Squier Affinity or SX Strat copy and upgrading the parts to make it better. I've always been afraid of touching any of my own that I've spent more on (My Fender HSS Strat, Epiphone Explorer would be the only ones I could POSSIBLY touch). I've been afraid of ruining tehm. But just today, sitting here at home with a stiff neck, barely able to move, scouring the net, I've been rethinking that whole thing. Rather than spend the 100 on the new canvas to upgrade, why NOT do it on one of my main guitars? I mean they're already good, so they could be really good with new parts...

Anyway, it's basically just reassurance for me. How many of you have customized/done things to your main/loved/expensive guitars? How'd it turn out? Would you reccomend I do that then get one of the cheap ones and doing it??

Thanks.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
ya sure man go for it, i stuck a pair of emgs in my ibanez rgt and it sounds great, just make try and avoid cutting in to the wood of the guitar in the mods, other than that man go all out, the worst that can happen is that you dont like the new part in which case you can just swap in the old one.
Dont do it to a Squire if you have a better guitar. , you can't fix crap. it's just crap. Upgrade the epi or the fender
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Dude. All you have to do is put an LSR nut on the strat. put locking tuners and install some Guitar fetish PUPS. BAM! Kick arse guitar for less than 200$ in mods. Also putting a good set of strings like elixers helps.
Well, I upgraded my SSS strat- Graphtech nut + Lace sensors + Bridge tone mod (reaaly easy and cool mod) and it turned out absoulutely fine. My guitar is all the better for it and I would reccomend modding your guitar to suit you
Quote by LuisWahWah
Dude. All you have to do is put an LSR nut on the strat. put locking tuners and install some Guitar fetish PUPS. BAM! Kick arse guitar for less than 200$ in mods. Also putting a good set of strings like elixers helps.

Why would you put GFS's on a fender? its going backwards. Everyody raves about GFS pups, but they're good FOR THE PRICE, they're not awsome pickups in themselves. With my experiences anyway.

Anyway.
I'd do the Strat personally. What was said above, new nut, locking tuners, maybe upgrade the saddles. Pickups to suit your playing style more, (eg. heavy, overdriven, cleans etc) Could do some fancy wiring. Stick in a killswitch.
As long as you don't do any routing or drilling, everything is reversible so not much chance of ruining it.