I usually play with a pick so im a bit of a noob in this area.

Anyway, firstly, whenever i strum something, i have my thumb and 1st finger together as if im holding a pick - is this ok? I personally don't like it much, but hoping it will become more comfortable as time progresses.

Another problem ive encoutered is picking notes on the same string. I was playing a bass strum song and after some strums i had to play 4 notes on the 5th string followed by 3 on the 5th... am i meant to simply downpick them using the fleshy part of my thumb or is that incorrect?
Try the classical/acoustic forum. They'll have a better explanation than anyone here.
well the thing is playing with your fingers, not so much your nails

i anchor my hand with my 3rd & pinky wrapped on the bridge, down pick with thumb and up with 1&2

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
when i strum while fingerpicking i curl my fingers up and strike the strings with the top(broadside) of all 4 fingernails. some people use their fingers for the treble strings and thumb for the bass. i've also seen people use the "airpick" too. whatever works, sounds good and dont hurt you or your gear is ok. look around and see what styles you like.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik