Should've used the search bar... but I'm lazy. If this has been asked, close this thread.

How long do you spend writing/editing/fine-tuning a piece? How do you know when to just completely scrap an idea?

I recently spent like 2 weeks trying to write a piece based on a couple of ideas I had, and in the end it turned out terribly anyway.

Most of my pieces are written in like 30 minutes tops. Some below 15.

And how do you know when to stop fixing stuff up?

I just want to gather some other perspectives.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by Snowblind 911
Should've used the search bar... but I'm lazy. If this has been asked, close this thread.

How long do you spend writing/editing/fine-tuning a piece? How do you know when to just completely scrap an idea?

I recently spent like 2 weeks trying to write a piece based on a couple of ideas I had, and in the end it turned out terribly anyway.

Most of my pieces are written in like 30 minutes tops. Some below 15.

And how do you know when to stop fixing stuff up?

I just want to gather some other perspectives.

Depends, some I write in 30 min. Some I write one part one day, another another day, and peice it together, could take as long as 3 months (my last one did)
Don't ever MAKE yourself finish a song.
Ususally anywehre form 15 min-45 min.
They're not grade A songs but they're pretty dman good for my age(13).
But guitarfreak777 is completely right. If you make yourself finish a song it will be horrible.
Also if you rush making it...it's gonna be pretty bad too.
I write like a song a month..sometimes two... but i once tried to rush it and i hated it.
So never rush it.
"You've got to dance like nobody else is watching.
Dream like you will live forever.
Live like you're going to die tomorrow,
and love like it is never gonna hurt."
-- James Dean (1931-1955)

Quote by JakeTheDuck
This man has the right idea.

^
oh yeahhh
There is no time limit in song writing. Just write as you get inspiration. One time i wrote one verse to a song and didn't think of anything else until about 5 weeks later. That is not lie. Sometimes, ideas just hit you and you write a song in no time. Other times, it could take forever. Since it's already been said i will visit it briefly: never force yourself to finnish a song. It will make it horrible. Take as long as you need to make it the best you can. As for when to finnish fixing it, NEVER finnish fixing it. There's always something better you can do with a song. Lyrics or otherwise. That's why songs live are always different than on the cd. You never stop revising a song.
as long as it takes to get it done. And not just finished, but perfected. Could take 10 minutes, could take 10 weeks. Whatever works.
Yeah I'll write like a bunch in one night and then spend a few days editing and revising.

I don't really have a usual time for each piece though. Varies.
The time it takes, I suppose... Though I'll never consider anything to be "finished", just polished to a grade where I am pleased with it. Creative works can really never be finished, IMO...
can range from three minutes to three years. usually my best pieces are when i have had huge inspiration and so write like a lunatic for about ten minutes, then do little to no editing. i find you lose your honesty, if you revise too much.
I usually wait for inspiration and then sit and write it all no matter how long. Some of my pieces have been 3/4 hour stints, then I edit the following day. I always lose the mood and mindset if I leave a piece and come back to it, however I have done that a few times.

Then again my more 'accessable' pieces are usually written in under an hour, mainly due to the golf in wordplay/structure etc...
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
I've never taken more than 30 minutes. I sit down when I have an idea (usually a single line to build a piece around) and then I just write. I never revise before posting... I find I tend to take out my tone if I edit because I want it to be perfect and imperfection is what makes tone.

As far as scrapping it... I tend to not do that, because I want people to show me what is bad in my writing so I can fix it. I think there is only one thing I've written where I went, "too bad... not showing anyone."
Well, i've had pieces that took an hour or 2 to finish. But i also recently finished a poem that took 18 months of on/off work to finish. There really is no limit. Sometimes you just won't be able to finish something at the time, and will ignore it for months and months until you finally get an idea.
i agree with steve on this one. its hard for me to leave a piece and then come back to it. the mood/voice is usually noticeably different when i do that. so i usually just sit and write until the piece is finished, however long that takes. or until i decide i hate it, rip it up into tiny little pieces, and then individually burn each piece until there's nothing left. that's a little extreme, perhaps, but it makes me feel better. mostly...
when birds flap their wings do the make believe they're really arms?
well, it depends much on how 'inspired' you are to write music...(and how distracted you are)

I usually write songs in one sitting. I have a difficult time in reviving that 'mood' back.

It takes me about 15-45 minutes to write songs that people appreciate.

When I spend more than 30 minutes with only 2-4 lines on paper, I scrap it ....and growl....hehehe...

...raaaaar....
i write then of course i go back and spell check but tops i think it has taken me was 45 minutes...if it takes longer i forget about the idea or it sucks...
GRUNDY0!

Quote by JeanMi36
I bet some stoners in the pokeman world are smoking Oddish.

Quote by doggy_hat
I mean seriously. You could buy a half ounce of coke, and two good hookers for the price of becoming a level 50 elf warrior.
i would imagine i have all the time in the world to write a song. make it count. think about what your lyrics are actually meaning. is it what you want it to be? is it something that can bedetermined by the person listening? does it get your point across? ask yourself these kinds of questions then say hloy **** i have an idea then write away. the main thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME
if the voices in my head would give me a break every once in a while, well... i just might go fucking insane.
a thing to add to my above statement:
if you have a song written and you have a band and then your vocalist learns your song after it's learned don't change it more than once or twice it gets rediculous after the second time and really aggrivating...(personal experience^^^)
GRUNDY0!

Quote by JeanMi36
I bet some stoners in the pokeman world are smoking Oddish.

Quote by doggy_hat
I mean seriously. You could buy a half ounce of coke, and two good hookers for the price of becoming a level 50 elf warrior.