I play an Epiphone Les Paul through a Fender Twin, with the tone switches on the amp all set round to '5'. The only two pedals I use are a DS1 and a tuner.

The biggest complaint my playing is getting is that the guitar sound isn't clear, that it's very nondescript and gets lost when distorted. Now, standing next to the amp, it sounds really cool, grungy but with some crunch. But if I walk away from the amp toward the other side of the room, it does indeed sound like crap!

Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of ditching the DS1, but as it's a popular pedal, I want to make sure I'm not making a noobie mistake. The sound I'm looking for is something like The Holy Bible, In Utero, Nevermind the Bollocks, Muse even.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at this thread!
Well, The only band I recognise is Muse, and their all about the fuzz thing.
Definently ditch the DS-1.
A tube amp with distortion pedal is a
Try different fuzz and overdrive pedals to get the tone your looking for.
Also I have no idea why that happens when you walk away from your amp.
Maybe its your cable making a weird effect on the signal?
I dont know.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Quote by ericgentz

Definently ditch the DS-1.
A tube amp with distortion pedal is a
Try different fuzz and overdrive pedals to get the tone your looking for.

Oh dear - honestly, I didn't know there was a diference. Why is a distortion pedal bad with a tube amp? And what's the difference between distortion and fuzz?

Quote by ericgentz

Also I have no idea why that happens when you walk away from your amp.
Maybe its your cable making a weird effect on the signal?

I think it's just that when you get out into the room (our practice space is cavernous) you get a 'truer' sense of what I'm sounding like. Which is pretty fizzy at the moment!
me personally i like a natural distortion from my amp by driving the tubes.

possibly your tone pots are dirty? or need changed/cleaned? that's a possibility.

as for the amp, im not too familiar with fender amps seeing as i'm not a big fender guy (unless it has to do with Aerosmith/the Stones/the Black Crowes) but if it has a presence knob, crank that up and it'll give you a bit of clarity.

and you're exactly right about the sound changing from different distances. i found my amp sounds very different mic'd and recorded rather than me standing next to it.

additionally, change up your EQ on the amp a bit. you say you keep it all around 5. move it around a bit and change the shape of your sound. add more mids and perhaps cut the bass a bit. just play with the EQ on your amp to try and get the sound you want
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
Quote by totenkopfSG

possibly your tone pots are dirty? or need changed/cleaned? that's a possibility.

I think it's more basic than that, and I need to get some advice on which pedal to buy. Some of the classics always sounded thin to me, but it seems that the DS1 isn't cutting it from where the audience are stood.
Last edited by Dan Rickshaw at Apr 29, 2008,
I'm still not sure what the difference is between overdrive, fuzz, and distortion, and which works best with tube amps.
You definitely need to pay more attention to how your setting your amp, just leaving the EQ's on 5 isn't that constructive.

First thing to establish is what kind of volume are you running your amp at? It's not going to sound particularly good distorted until you get some serious volume going. And the sound will change depending on where you stand - sound travels in waves you'll hear it differently dependent on whether you're stood in a trough or peak.

Having said that the DS1 isn't a particularly good choice of pedal for you, try a Proco Rat. I personally don't think an OD is the way to go on this one, it's not going to give you the gritty sounds you're looking for. A fuzz could be the way to go but I reckon the Rat is about right. An EQ pedal never goes amiss either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ericgentzA
tube amp with distortion pedal is a

Not true. Its a matter of dialing it in properly on both the amp and the pedal. You'll learn that no pedal is truly disposable. Plus, tone is subjective. Tons of people use distortion pedals with tube amps.
Last edited by nightrain28 at Apr 30, 2008,
I'm definitely struggling though - I'm a pretty good player but I'm definitely ignorant when it comes to gear!

I'm looking for a kickass big rock sound that will sound great in a small to medium sized venue - what I'm getting instead is something that sounds awesome a feet from the amp but turns fizzy further back.

I'll try pushing the presence up - other than the Rat, can anyone recommend any other pedals? Or clarify the difference between overdrive, fuzz etc? (puts dunce hat on).
Well, I'd say you definitely bought the wrong amp. The Twin is huge and clean sounding, and is renowned for its possibly best-of cleans, but it's not much of a distorting amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.