As you can tell i'm a beginner at the guitar. (little less than a month) and i'm working on the basics. I can do the pentatonic scale for G minor, but all i'm getting out of it is a finger exercise. I dont know what its teaching...so can anyone explain what scales teach in general or can someone lead me to a GOOD basic music theory website that will explain everything in detail?
This site, search for "Theory" under the lessons tab on the very top of this website.
OK, there's TONS of theory websites. I don't know them off hand, but ask at a local music shop, and I guarantee that you will get more sites than you want.

Ok, here's a VERY basic and VERY rough rundown.

We'll take the major scale (you havn't learned it, suffice it to say one exists, and it's the one that chords are built from in general)
The major scale, just like your pentatonic scale, has a set of notes running up the neck. These notes, are labeled in a certain way depending on the key that you are playing in.

Lets say the scale goes C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C.
These notes would be the Root, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and Root respectively.

you use these degrees (the 1st, 2nd, etc numbers) to build chords. Some chords are used extremely often, and therefore given certain names. For example, a MAJOR chord is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th degree put together, so we could call it a 1, 3 , 5 chord, but noone ever does that, because major is easier, and (if you investigate more into this, it makes more sense).

REMEMBER, all the degrees used to identify a chord, like a C7, are referring to the MAJOR scale of that note. For that chord, you would play C major, and then add the 7th note of the C major scale. You wouldn't add the 7th of the Pentatonic scale, that's just not how the system works.

PEOPLE SPEND YEARS TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS. TAKE THE TIME!!!! If possible, ask your guitar teacher (if you have one, trust me, it's harder without, but can be done with patience) about the MODES of the MAJOR SCALE. These will help you to understand the connection there, if you bother to learn EVERYTHING YOU CAN about them, not just lazy ass your way through learning the positions. Use all of your resources, and do work for yourself, don't rely on people spoonfeeding you the information.

Good luck

EDIT: awwwdammit, I should have told him about the searchbar. oh well.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Yeah, basically learn the notes on the fretboard and the major scale.

Nice little mini-lesson strat.
thanks for the feedback. I currently do not have an instructor, he doesn't have any openings til the middle of May but I heard he's really good. I'm starting when he has an opening.

and surprisingly, I actually understood 70% of the info you gave me strat. it actually helped me some.
Cool, glad to help, just remember that that is very simplified, so don't get discouraged if those websites sound more complicated. Sometimes a few words take hours to conquer. If you ask me some stuff, like either email or a message on here I don't know really how that works very much, but I'd be glad to help you as much as I can
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by Jeremy Clark
thanks for the feedback. I currently do not have an instructor, he doesn't have any openings til the middle of May but I heard he's really good. I'm starting when he has an opening.

and surprisingly, I actually understood 70% of the info you gave me strat. it actually helped me some.

Read the Crusade articles in the Columns sectiion, they're exactly what you're looking for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by strat212
REMEMBER, all the degrees used to identify a chord, like a C7, are referring to the MAJOR scale of that note. For that chord, you would play C major, and then add the 7th note of the C major scale. You wouldn't add the 7th of the Pentatonic scale, that's just not how the system works.

Nope, adding the 7th degree of the C major scale (B) gives you a Cmaj7. You'd have to add a b7 to get a C7 because it's built C E G Bb.