http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9930419-7.html?tag=nefd.top

The recording industry filed a lawsuit on Monday alleging that Project Playlist, a company that provides an embeddable music player used at MySpace and Facebook, has violated its copyright.

According to a copy of the complaint obtained by CNET News.com, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) filed suit on behalf of nine record labels and accuses Project Playlist of making unauthorized reproductions of their music.

"Project Playlist performs and reproduces plaintiffs' valuable works (and induces and enables others to do so) without any authorization whatsoever," the RIAA said in its complaint, "without paying any compensation whatsoever."

"Defendant is well aware that the overwhelming majority of the sound recordings in its index are infringing," the RIAA continued. "The overwhelming majority of the third-party Web sites that host these recordings do so illegally."

In the lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court of the Southern district of New York, the RIAA has asked for unspecified damages.

It's unclear why none of the labels belonging to Sony BMG Music Entertainment were named as plaintiffs. The lawsuit said that some of the artists whose music was used without authorization are U2, Eminem, Elton John, The Beatles, Coldplay, and Sheryl Crow.

Representatives from Project Playlist could not be reached. On the company's Web site, Project Playlist said that it is "committed to copyright protection" and does not support illegal copying of music files.

"We make it easy for our users to create a playlist that points to a series of music files hosted on third party Web sites," Project Playlist said on its site. "We do not control those third party Web sites. We do not host music files."

Companies that allegedly facilitate the distribution of pirated content have tried to argue that because they don't host unauthorized files they don't violate copyright. That hasn't stopped the RIAA or the motion-picture industry from filing suit.

The most recent example was TorrentSpy, a popular BitTorrent tracker that closed down last month after fighting a two-year legal battle with the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA).

The lawsuit against Project Playlist was first reported by Reuters.

Discuss.
sup?
RIAA needs to die out. Thats all I need to say
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Pigs. Project Playlist didn't host any files, or let you download anything. They did nothing wrong.
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
Maybe the RIAA should know how Project Playlist works in the first place...
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

yeah, I agree
sup?
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

I get all my music from projectplaylist throught download helper in firefox... so they have a minor point, but they're still corrupt
Quote by americnidiot
I get all my music from projectplaylist throught download helper in firefox... so they have a minor point, but they're still corrupt

Project Playlist is no different than google. They only did something wrong if they hosted the files.
last.fm
Quote by darkstar2466
*head explodes*
You sir, are a god.

Quote by BBW
This song is about Little Red Riding Hood and her trials and tribulations with the Big Bad Wolf. He was a cunt who liked to bother pigs when they relaxed after work in their houses.
project playlist just displays sites that DO host the song. the people to blame are the hosts.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by Funkychicken313
Pigs. Project Playlist didn't host any files, or let you download anything. They did nothing wrong.

actually u can download songs

EDIT: nevermind you used to be able to, all you can get now is ringtones
Last edited by pureebil333 at Apr 29, 2008,
No! i like my playlist Besides if there not hosting it than they cant really do anything about it right? RIAA shouldve worked with project playlist instead of against it... ****in morons
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Quote by Pr3vieWX360
RIAA shouldve worked with project playlist instead of against it... ****in morons

how would they do that?
sup?
Does anyone have a what.cd invite? I have st music, torrent leech, torrent damage, demonoid and waffles. Send me a pm.
Quote by justinc_89
Does anyone have a what.cd invite? I have st music, torrent leech, torrent damage, demonoid and waffles. Send me a pm.

Waffles you say?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I always thought music was supposed to be HEARD, not sold

Am i mistaken?
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
The RIAA is fighting a losing battle, and they have created every single one of the millions and millions of their enemies. They should just give up.
Quote by justinc_89

I'm in!