I've realized that when I pick individual notes on the guitar, I always rest my right hand pinky on the pickguard (not when I'm strumming chords though), I guess because it adds stability or something. Does anyone else do this, and is there any reason I should stop?
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
I do it when I'm using a pick. It's perfectly fine. But, when you are finger picking and you do that, that's a big no-no.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
It means you're a closet homosexual afraid to come to terms with it for fear of letting down your parents.

or not. I do it too.
thats pretty much the only thing the right pinky is good for.

wait, why is firefox saying pinky is misspelled? and now it says firefox is. add that to the dictionary, fools!
I have no opinion on this matter.
i think a lot of people do it, i do
in my guitar class my teacher (classical guitarist) grades down for posting the pinky or w/e on the pickgaurd
i think whatever works for you is best
I'm Like an Altoid...small, white, and curiously strong
i dont do that. if im playin on the higher strings i rest my wrist on the low e string. if im playin on any thing lower than the d string, its the top part of the body.
My reflection
Dirty mirror
There's no connection
To myself
I'm your lover
I'm your zero
Im the face in your dreams of glass
Quote by Zugunruhe

wait, why is firefox saying pinky is misspelled? and now it says firefox is. add that to the dictionary, fools!

yes that bothered me too, but I didn't realize about firefox. Of course I only replied to you to see if it was true or not.
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
Quote by Zugunruhe

In the FireFox dictionary, "FireFox," and "firefox" are misspelled, but "Pokemon" is accepted.

And I heard from a few friends that you shouldn't do that, it slows down your picking.

I said "go to hell" and did it anyway.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Zugunruhe

you learn to play with it. 5 string finger picking wins.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
there is like a massive thread on whether it is better to rest your picking hand on the guitar or leave it floating above the bridge. You should search for this thread
i rest my hand on the bridge but not touching the sttrings. or use my pinky as a stand..is that ok?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by KetchupLad14
I did that once when I was first starting, and my guitar teacher told me the pickguard would shatter in my face if I kept doing it.

I stopped doing it.
\

I almost wanna sig that.
My reflection
Dirty mirror
There's no connection
To myself
I'm your lover
I'm your zero
I use my penis for stability.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's called anchoring and it's perfectly fine. It's an idiosyncratic tendency for many guitar players.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
It's called anchoring and it's perfectly fine. It's an idiosyncratic tendency for many guitar players.

I like to pretend I'm a whaler too. Captain Bubblerfists.
Quote by KetchupLad14
I did that once when I was first starting, and my guitar teacher told me the pickguard would shatter in my face if I kept doing it.

I stopped doing it.

ok. what the hell...

sigged.
My reflection
Dirty mirror
There's no connection
To myself
I'm your lover
I'm your zero
its not a good thing to do. you need to develop stability in your right arm.
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
I've noticed that I am always palm muting my low D when I play sitting down, no matter what string I'm playing unless I'm strumming chords.

EDIT: Btw, I play in drop d.
Signature temporarily empty
I don't have a pinky on my right hand, so this isn't a problem for me. However, I do find a lot, especially before I've warmed up (and sometimes after) that when I go to pick a string if I'm not doing it a certain way, I actually won't have enough force to pick it, the pick just stops at the string like it hit a brick wall. Does this happen to normal people as well, or I am just fucked?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I use my penis for stability.

i can play with my penis. (dethklok ftw)
My ex guitar teacher (Classically Trained) never did and I picked up all my habits from him. Why do you need it for stability? I don't see why you need it... (I use all my fingers when fingerpicking though so maybe that's why I don't, and I only rest my hand on something when picking if i'm doing palmmutes...)
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Apr 30, 2008,
its not totaly bad but it slows your picking down im trying to brek the habbit now its so fukin gay how long it takes to get used to something like that