hey everyone... I've been playing about 2 years now and I like older metal (death, obituary, morbid angel, metallica, megadeth, testament, slayer, black sabbath, iron maiden, judas priest, etc.)

I can't "shred" really. I can do decent solos with the pentatonic scale, minor scale, and some different modes, but I've never really been able to solo over death metal. Any tips for atonal solos? I have no idea where to begin or how to practice that. I can't shred (I'm too slow) and I have no whammy bar on my guitar. Help me lol
just start with scales you do know and then add in chromatic or outside notes here and there. And if you want to be able to shred that just takes a crap load of practice.
who says that the most notes in the least amount of time means good music? whole notes are there for a reason. Break from the norm. Sure, it's helpful to play fast sometimes, but the melody can be so much more rewarding
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
personally i prefer heavy-as-**** power-chord riffs, like those meshuggah plays. but yea. harmonic minor scale, learn to tremolo pick. basically, drink a fre energy drinks and just shake your arm really fast with the tip of the pick just barely hitting the string.

and use open-string notes a lot.
Quote by (-metaladdict-)
personally i prefer heavy-as-**** power-chord riffs, like those meshuggah plays. but yea. harmonic minor scale, learn to tremolo pick. basically, drink a fre energy drinks and just shake your arm really fast with the tip of the pick just barely hitting the string.

and use open-string notes a lot.

Umm, please don't just "shake your arm really fast"... use your wrist. Unless you want horrible technique and a messed up arm.
tremolo picking is when you send your arm into spasms at the elbow but keep the wrist stiff. or maybe thats called soemthing else but im pretty sure thats what tremolo picking is. and how would that mess up your arm...
ah that would be called **** house technique, not tremolo picking...

sweeps are great but i guess no shred means no sweeps...

playing harmonic minor stuff sounds good as though
Member of the 'Guitarist Born in 1991' club