My grandma brought home a very old Gibson Acoustic 3/4 or half size guitar. It has no label and I wanted to know if it is any good. It sounds alright for a small size and for not have been restrung for the last 10 years. The only numbers or anything I can see are on the back. It is hard to make out but the numbers look like 51656 though it could be 51856. Googled it and nothing came up.

Here are some pictures of it to see if anyone has any possible idea of what it could be/could be worth. My family estimates it around 50 years old.

Last edited by ssick92 at Apr 29, 2008,
sry, i dont have a clue man, lol. i have a piece-o-crap guitar my cousin gave me when i first started playing, and it doesnt really tell you what it is either. lol. i'll look out for it though.....
probably worth a little bit. my guess would be just a basic gibson. try googling all of gibsons old acoustic models and comparing them.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
It looks like it was made in 1962. However, I have no idea what kind of model it is.

source: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

From same site:

I think it might be this:

1958 LG-0 introduction specs:
14 1/8" wide Mahogany top, mahogany back and sides, straight ladder bracing, black bridge pins, screw-on black pickguard, tortoise binding on top and back, 3 on-a-plate tuners, rectangle rosewood bridge, rosewood fingerboard, 20 frets total, 3-on-a-plate tuners, natural finish. Bridge pad was spruce, which unfortunately would wear out from the string's ball-ends.
In 1962 plastic bridge used. $85 list price.
In 1963 an injection molded styrene pickguard was used.
In 1966 rosewood bridge with adjustable saddle was used.
In 1968 spruce top on some models.
In 1974 discontinued.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
It looks like it was made in 1962. However, I have no idea what kind of model it is.

source: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

From same site:

I think it might be this:

1958 LG-0 introduction specs:
14 1/8" wide Mahogany top, mahogany back and sides, straight ladder bracing, black bridge pins, screw-on black pickguard, tortoise binding on top and back, 3 on-a-plate tuners, rectangle rosewood bridge, rosewood fingerboard, 20 frets total, 3-on-a-plate tuners, natural finish. Bridge pad was spruce, which unfortunately would wear out from the string's ball-ends.
In 1962 plastic bridge used. $85 list price.
In 1963 an injection molded styrene pickguard was used.
In 1966 rosewood bridge with adjustable saddle was used.
In 1968 spruce top on some models.
In 1974 discontinued.

wow, you are the man. Judging from that, im guessing a 1962 LG-0?
Last edited by ssick92 at Apr 29, 2008,
check your bridge and saddle would be the best way to tell. if bridge is wood then its probably the 66 model.
Quote by dgenthe
check your bridge and saddle would be the best way to tell. if bridge is wood then its probably the 66 model.

Its not a 66. It does not have an adjustable saddle...unless it was removed at some point.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
Its not a 66. It does not have an adjustable saddle...unless it was removed at some point.

nothing has ever been removed or added to it.

42441 to 61180 1962

that is the serial range for 1962 gibson acoustics. The bridge is wood. So it must have been a very early 62 because most of the 62 versions have plastic bridges.
Gibson is prety good with seriel numbers and picture, I have emailed several of numbers to them and they email back within a day.