Since my palette of metal is somewhat limited, (2 weeks worth in itunes) name an artist and an album of thiers that you consider to be thier best. Any suggestions welcome except satanic metal. Metalcore is appreciated too!
Quote by ESP_Shreder
Since my palette of metal is somewhat limited, (2 weeks worth in itunes) name an artist and an album of thiers that you consider to be thier best. Any suggestions welcome except satanic metal. Metalcore is appreciated too!

thread closed
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Recommendation thread. If you don't get past the satanic gimmicks you'll definitely limit yourself in terms of good metal, and no metalcore in the metal forum.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by ESP_Shreder

Except "Satanic" metal? Eh, 2 weeks worth on itunes is right.

How about, 2 years before posting here?

I'll name a couple bands.

Metallica
Behemoth
Arch Enemy
Children of Bodom
Quo Vadis

Etc. Etc.
Okay, Akercocke...

Wait, because of that no satanic metal limitation, you miss out on one of metal's finest

R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
these are a few of my favorites. some more heavy than others but all are definitely metal in some respect

colony and come clarity by in flames are really good albums
angel of retribution by judas priest
avenged sevenfold's last album is really good
messengers by august burns red
1919 eternal by black label society
the poison by bullet for my vallentine
ascendancy by trivium
the way of the fist by five finger death punch
confession by ill nino
sacrament by lamb of god
comalies by lacuna coil
ace of spades by motorhead
the end of all things to come by mudvayne
monkey business by skid row
alien love secrets by steve vai
the absence, all that remains, anthrax, arch enemy, at the gates, between the buried and me, black dahlia murder, black sabbath, born of osiris, cannibal corpse, carcass, children of bodom, cryptopsy. dark funeral, death, decapitated, deicide, destroyer 666, dethklok, devildriver, dimmu borgir, divine heresy, dragon force, dream evil, dream theater, dying fetus, ensiferum, entombed, evergrey, evile, the faceless, fear factory, firewind, god forbid, haste the day, hate eternal, thehanted, heaven shall burn, himsa, the human abstract, hypocrisy, iced earth, in flames, into eternity, iron maiden, job for a cowboy, killswitch engage, lamb of god, machine head, megadeth, mercenary, mercyful fate, meshuggah, mercyful fate, metallica, morbid angel, napalm death, necrophagist, nevermore, nightrage, nightwish, nile, obituary, opeth, outworld, pantera, protest the hero, sentenced, sahdows fall, slayer, strapping young lad, suffocation, symphony x, testament, trivium, unearth, winds of plague and wintersun

there, that should do you for a bit. i got more if u want
Quote by vjferrara
these are a few of my favorites. some more heavy than others but all are definitely metal in some respect

colony and come clarity by in flames are really good albums
angel of retribution by judas priest
avenged sevenfold's last album is really good
messengers by august burns red
1919 eternal by black label society
the poison by bullet for my vallentine
ascendancy by trivium
the way of the fist by five finger death punch
confession by ill nino
sacrament by lamb of god
comalies by lacuna coil
ace of spades by motorhead Might fall under hardcore, not bad, just not the right forum.
the end of all things to come by mudvayne UBER NO!!!
monkey business by skid row
alien love secrets by steve vai

Metal forum, do not discuss the bands that are in bold. Call me an elitist all you want, I'm just trying to help you not get flamed by the more seasoned members.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
a mix of rec thread and hardcore forum.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Metal forum, do not discuss the bands that are in bold. Call me an elitist all you want, I'm just trying to help you not get flamed by the more seasoned members.

yeah, i figured i might get flamed by some people but i just wanted to give an overview of all styles of metal - however non-metal they seem to be by some but still metal to most
Quote by The Virtuoso

lol, you think Motorhead is hardcore? YOU are the one that deserves to be flamed.
motorhead is metal, no hardcore elements really it's either metal or hard rock, but anyway, this thread is pointless for reasons stated above. it doesnt matter how many people think it's metal, if the mods don't then (on UG) it's not.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by vjferrara
yeah, i figured i might get flamed by some people but i just wanted to give an overview of all styles of metal - however non-metal they seem to be by some but still metal to most

Yeah, it's all right, it's just a lot of people flame like crazy at the mention of a metalcore band, I am among them, but I am trying to change my ways to be nicer and guide people instead of being like, "LOL UR TEH FAILORZ 4 CALING TRIVIUM THRASH!!!1!!1!!11"
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by Gregray88
lol, you think Motorhead is hardcore? YOU are the one that deserves to be flamed.

could be considered early hardcore my friend. just remember, kiss was considered "metal" in their day. some people consider guns n roses to have been metal when they first came out. just because there are no blast beats or cookie monster screaming, that doesn't mean its not metal
Quote by The Virtuoso
Yeah, it's all right, it's just a lot of people flame like crazy at the mention of a metalcore band, I am among them, but I am trying to change my ways to be nicer and guide people instead of being like, "LOL UR TEH FAILORZ 4 CALING TRIVIUM THRASH!!!1!!1!!11"

very true, but, at some point in time any of the bands i listed were/are considered metal in some respect. however, what is metal to some is not metal to others... so is life
Quote by Gregray88

Which is exactly why I said MIGHT, if you had actually read instead of just looking for an excuse to flame someone you would have noticed. I will admit that I don't what Motorhead would fall under, because I haven't heard that much of them, so excuse me for mislabeling a band.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by vjferrara
could be considered early hardcore my friend. just remember, kiss was considered "metal" in their day. some people consider guns n roses to have been metal when they first came out. just because there are no blast beats or cookie monster screaming, that doesn't mean its not metal

Motorhead is heavy metal. Easily. Definently not hardcore.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Which is exactly why I said MIGHT, if you had actually read instead of just looking for an excuse to flame someone you would have noticed. I will admit that I don't what Motorhead would fall under, because I haven't heard that much of them, so excuse me for mislabeling a band.

Lol, mislabelling is an understatement. But i dont rly care lol.
Whatever, I'm not going to argue, so thread starter just go the recommendation thread at the top of the page and someone will help you out. I'm going to go practice.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
Whatever, I'm not going to argue, so thread starter just go the recommendation thread at the top of the page and someone will help you out. I'm going to go practice.

hence the name "virtuoso" lol!! - yes, i actually did laugh out loud at the funniness of his statement
hey man i asked for about the same thing a little while ago in the chat thread. ive had it in a notepad file to remind me. heres some suggestions someone made to me with just a few alterations by me:
Thrash Metal:

Try:
Sodom
Megadeth
Anthrax

Stay Away From (anti-christian sometimes):
Slayer
Vader
Kreator

Brutal Death Metal:

Try:
Kronos
Bloodbath
Nile
Melektaus
Decapitated
Hate Eternal
Anchorhead (more budist than christian, it's all about Star Wars)

Stay Away From:
Behemoth

Melodic Death Metal:

Try:
Wintersun
Children of Bodom
Dark Tranquility
Ensiferum
Amon Amarth
In Flames
Buried Dreams
Dark Flood
Arch Enemy
The Absence
The Duskfall
Arsis
Dawn of Tears
Mors Principium Est
Norther
Quo Vadis
Shadows Fall (old stuff)
Amorphis (old stuff)
Dethklok
Kalmah
Vintersorg (MDM will work as their genre)
Eternal Tears of Sorrow

Stay Away From:
God Dethroned
Technical Death Metal:

Try:
Meshuggah
Necrophagist
Gojira

Doom Metal:
*do not know which to stay away from yet
Solitude Aeturnus
Scald
Solstice
Forsaken
Serenity
While Heaven Wept
Mirror of Deception
Well of Souls
Warning
Doomsword

Note: Even though u didn't ask for these genres they might halp:

Folk Metal:
Ensiferum
Eluvietie
Tyr
Finntroll
Korpiklaani

idk what genre but give opeth a listen if you havent already.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Apr 29, 2008,
Thrash:
Testament
Metallica (old stuff)
Slayer
Kreator
Sodom

Death metal:
Morbid Angel
Malevolent Creation
Behemoth (The new stuff is the only stuff worth noting anyway)
Obituary
Autopsy
Death
Cynic
Atheist
Bloodbath
Cannibal Corpse

Black Metal:
Bishop of Hexen
Emperor
Melechesh
Vesperian Sorrow
Mirrorthrone
Immortal
Enslaved
Bathory
Borknagar
Arcturus
Chthonic
Dissection
Wolves in the Throne Room
Dragonlord

Melodic Death:
Satariel
Insomnium
In Flames (old stuff is the only good stuff.)
Mors Principium Est
At the Gates (start at Slaughter of the Soul, work back)
Amon Amarth
Omnium Gatherum
Kalmah
Dark Tranquillity
Mercenary
Quo Vadis
Scar Symmetry
Wintersun
Nightrage
Hypocrisy (later stuff, like Virus and The Arrival)

Power Metal:
Manticora
Helloween
Blind Guardian
Pharaoh
Symphony X
Galneryus

Progressive metal?
Opeth (Progressive death, and AMAZING)
Meshuggah (Progressive death, completely different from anything out there)
Pain of Salvation
Devin Townsend Band
Strapping Young Lad

Heavy metal:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath...

Folk:
Tyr
Ensiferum
Eluveitie
Korpiklaani
Turisas

By requesting no 'satanic' stuff, you're basically cutting off a lot of the really good stuff.

Anti-Christian lyrical themes dont mean a band doesnt make great music.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Apr 29, 2008,
edit on the anti-satanic stuff.... Nothing like Mayhem.

Some really good suggestions though so far. Thanks!
Quote by ESP_Shreder

Try some Mayhem.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Okay, Akercocke...

Wait, because of that no satanic metal limitation, you miss out on one of metal's finest

Exactly. I listen to some satanic metal, but I don't agree with the message of the bands lyrics. If you really just got into metal, avoid metalcore, most of it's horrible except for a small portion of mathcore.

Suggestion for good bands to start with:
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeth
Dio
Judas Priest
Dream Theater

From there, find what genres you like the most and so on. When you find out genres of metal you really like, it'll become easier to find bands that suite your taste. Personally, I'm a big fan of Power,Thrash,Progressive, and some Melodic Death.
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by ESP_Shreder

Deicide?
Marduk?
Behemoth?
Hate?
Vital Remains?
Quote by ESP_Shreder

In that case:

AKERCOCKE!

And

Opeth
Vader
Bathory
Death
Carcass
Behemoth
Nile
Necrophagist (if you like tech death)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Say no to limiting yourself . Don't let the satanic metal messages get in the way. With that said, Go download some Aeon.
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.