i've spent the last 2 hours filing out the 2 horns and contouring them as you can see from the pictures
i'd really like to contour the neck heel too. the arcing line in the first pic is probably where i'm gonna start it.
gonna borrow a power drill from my father and i'll probably get a sanding attachment so i can do a little more of an arch-top thing.

Question about installing a Floyd. i had installed a floyd long ago, but i did it slightly off center to the fretboard. so i filled in those original pivot-post holes. and i was wondering how to properly center these holes. i drew straight lines from the sides of the neck as you can see in the middle picture. i figure i'll line up the high E and low E saddles with those lines and then measure the pivot-post notches on the tremolo's base plate are. does this sound right?

i'm gonna have the local guitar tech fix the headstock. so i'll probably be updating this post with more pictures and questions

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)
Last edited by sethp at May 4, 2008,
i cant offer anything helpful... but i can say it looks like an awesome project and you haveto post pics when you finish
im not real experienced with this, but i would say if you just drew 2 straight lines from the neck and measured to the center of them you could put it there.

EDIT: oh it looks kick ass by the way
i like the way it looks so much more, now that i've carved away a lot of the inside of the horns
problem will be is trying to hold myself back. especially when i get that power drill
hahahahaha

i'm also probably gonna fill in the single-coil route, and then re-route it for a double-coil
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about the FR, but I don't think it will be necessary to fill your singlecoil route for a humbucker, you should just be able to expand the route - unless you're moving the position.
Looks good so far.
got a block of wood and made some cut outs to fill in the tremolo route and the single coil route

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

still waiting for the neck to come back from the shop. gotta do a little sculpting on the cut outs. the bicycle seat works really well as a neck rest when working on a guitar
maybe i'll go with the floyd in this guitar, but my other guitar's got a floyd so i want something that looks a little different. but i'll have to do some routing if that's the case
and i'm not done sculpting the horns or the body either
Last edited by sethp at May 4, 2008,
when i saw that headstock i cringed.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
when i saw that headstock i cringed.

my local guitar tech rebuilt a headstock, literally from splinters.
this neck actually came from a dkmg i bought off ebay for $175. yes, the ebay auction advertised it as such. so i bought a new neck for about $150 off of ebay.
so i'm probably gonna sand off the laminate and re-paint it
first i tried some stuff called Plastic Wood, but i didn't like it. seemed too dry and flakey and wouldn't seal in the block of wood.

(Invalid img)

then i mixed up some saw dust and elmers. layed down a bed of the stuff on the bottom of the route. dropped the block in, and then squished some more elmers/saw dust in the gaps

(Invalid img)

gonna let this set and then sand down. i plan to route out a humbucker cavity anyway. and i'm now leaning more towards just using my left-over Jackson Floyd-copy instead of trying to fill in that entire tremolo cavity. plus, i wanted to use a tune-o-matic bridge, and recently found out they only work with angled necks, and i don't want to deal with angling the neck pocket.
on top of that, i'm gonna have to route out more space in the neck pocket to bring the 12th fret closer to the bridge to even up the string scale lenght
Last edited by sethp at May 5, 2008,
what s the point in filling in the single coil cavity, couldnt you just have enlarged to to accommodate a humbucker????
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
he doesnt want it/use it
you can get a reccesed tom from warmouth and you wont need a neck angle
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Poor Jackson, were did you get it from ?
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Im a little confused you show a FR but are going to fill in the trem cavity in the back.