How do i get the tone he has in this video. It's such a amazing tone and it gives me goosebumps. Basically i want the tone of that little lick before the song. Im guessing a fender amp and a Strat.

Heres the vid..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4KWCKaSJbrQ
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
i wish i knew how to capture pure awesomeness, cant help you, but john mayer is a god
get your self a fender tube amp, and use your strat and your fulldrive, youll get it. neck/middle or neck pickup. enjoy man
He uses Two-Rock amps now. Awesome tone but they come with their price tag of course (usually $3,000 to $10,000) a good clean amp will do it though. A Fender tube amp would be a good choice.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
He uses a Two Rock, does he not? Not a Fender, he's a more boutique kinda guy.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by chea_man
get your self a fender tube amp, and use your strat and your fulldrive, youll get it. neck/middle or neck pickup. enjoy man

Which amp do you think would be best. I was think a Twin Reverb on ebay or a Hot Rod Deluxe.
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
its more like a custom made Two Rock (essentially a one channel Custom Reverb). You can get the JM sig for 8k, a Custom Reverb around 3-4k.

or, just get a decent Fender combo and a tubesceamer.

edit: well i'm slow.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by zaffie8808
Which amp do you think would be best. I was think a Twin Reverb on ebay or a Hot Rod Deluxe.

The twin is a superior amp. I would go with that if you have that option.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Dude... I know i'm one of the only ones to come out and say it, but you make way too many of these threads.
A few weeks ago, you went from wanting a Mayer tone, then the next week, you wanted Jimi and RHCP, then you went to slash, and now back to mayer! I'm glad that you like to gather opinions from other people, but you've made literally dozens of these threads, and you have more than enough information to go out and try out different amps.

Just get a fender tube amp and crank it.
Your budget is 700 bucks. That's not super huge. Just get a reasonable fender amp to get Mayer's and tones like that, and just save up for another amp if you want to get Jimi and things with more overdrive when time goes by.
Besides, you have a fulldrive. You should be able to get some marshally crunch out of a fender if you just run it in front of it.

Just go out and play amps. Pick whatever amp suits YOUR tone the best, and buy it. Trying to emulate another artist's tone is futile, so go out and find yours!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
if you can afford a twin, by all means go for it. (well if you can afford a two rock, go for it haha)
but if you cant get the twin, a fender hot rod deluxe or blues deluxe will work great. i have a fender hot rod and its cleans are amazing. especially if you get the groove tubes out of the preamp.
If you want john mayer's tone for under $1000, i'd suggest that you look at a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. They're absolutely perfect for his tone, and with your Fulldrive, you'll be set on all your overdrive needs.

Dont go for the HRD. Doesnt have the tone qualities without some mods. You need a blackface style tone control (mid scoop).

Also, put 10's or 11's on your strat and learn how to pick.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
hes right, if you want to spend extra money on that amp, it would be better, but i know from experience you can get mayers tone with an HRD.
Yes, i can do the same thing on my blues junior with the Weber -- approximate. But, after playing thru a DRRI, i can see that theres so much more depth to the tone that the BJ just doesnt have. It makes it a completely different experiance.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Well, all the above amps mentioned are very good.
Just go out and see for yourself.
With your budget (it's 700 bucks is it not?), I doubt you're gonna get a two rock or anything like that.
An HRD or some kind of fender amp (or similar) with good cleans and is american voiced will get close to it with the right tubes and tweaking.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Fender Tube, Strat Neck/Mid, Vintage esq' pups....there you go.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Most of his tone comes from his attack and style. He would sound like with just about any decent tube amp cranked.

Wanna sound like Johnny does? Go practice.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by zaffie8808

Blues Deluxe would be better for JM stuff than the Hot Rod. On a budget I'd probably go with a blues Jr. The Deluxe reverb is probably best for the bedroom player if it's not out of your budget don't know what they are selling for in the states. His overdrive comes from playing on a clean channel and turning the master up so you have to play pretty loud. If you did that with a twin you would shake the windows and the hot rod just sounds muddy and isn't a very good amp IMO.

In addition to the fender (or fender style) amp on the clean chanel with the master volume way up. You also need the right pickups. Your neck should be heavy build formvar with 42awg wire wound to around 6.2K. This is what he is using for the intro. That is what gives him that scooped chimy sound without sounding thin. Formvar has a very smooth loose low end which makes it warm, and a very strong cutting high end which gives you the cut and clarity. There are parts of that song where he also switches to the middle pickup. I think this pickup uses 43awg but it would sound better if it were 42awg, fender just didn't want to have to worry about fitting all the windings onto the coil. So anyway, the middle pickup is wound to about 6.4K (Give or take) and uses formvar wire again. Formvar wire is a very VERY important part of JM's tone.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by SRVStrat808
If you want john mayer's tone for under $1000, i'd suggest that you look at a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. They're absolutely perfect for his tone, and with your Fulldrive, you'll be set on all your overdrive needs.

Dont go for the HRD. Doesnt have the tone qualities without some mods. You need a blackface style tone control (mid scoop).

Also, put 10's or 11's on your strat and learn how to pick.

i'm not sure, i struggled getting a good Mayer tone the whole 7 months i hade a DRRI. I mean, i could get pretty close with songs like Slow Dancing in a Burning Room and Belief, but that was about it.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
i'm not sure, i struggled getting a good Mayer tone the whole 7 months i hade a DRRI. I mean, i could get pretty close with songs like Slow Dancing in a Burning Room and Belief, but that was about it.

The DR is pretty much the only BF Fender I don't like.
Quote by mr_hankey
The DR is pretty much the only BF Fender I don't like.

+1
I wasn't a fan either.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Dude... I know i'm one of the only ones to come out and say it, but you make way too many of these threads.
A few weeks ago, you went from wanting a Mayer tone, then the next week, you wanted Jimi and RHCP, then you went to slash, and now back to mayer! I'm glad that you like to gather opinions from other people, but you've made literally dozens of these threads, and you have more than enough information to go out and try out different amps.

Just get a fender tube amp and crank it.
Your budget is 700 bucks. That's not super huge. Just get a reasonable fender amp to get Mayer's and tones like that, and just save up for another amp if you want to get Jimi and things with more overdrive when time goes by.
Besides, you have a fulldrive. You should be able to get some marshally crunch out of a fender if you just run it in front of it.

Just go out and play amps. Pick whatever amp suits YOUR tone the best, and buy it. Trying to emulate another artist's tone is futile, so go out and find yours!

+1 on all of this.

Get your browser on craigslist and find a quality Fender amp. For $700 you can get just about any decent Fender depending on where you live if you look long enough.
Example
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/661942750.html
And
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/654099074.html

But more importantly, please go try some of these. On an average day we see 3 to 4 or your threads asking basically the same question. All due respect.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Your neck should be heavy build formvar with 42awg wire wound to around 6.2K. This is what he is using for the intro. That is what gives him that scooped chimy sound without sounding thin. Formvar has a very smooth loose low end which makes it warm, and a very strong cutting high end which gives you the cut and clarity. There are parts of that song where he also switches to the middle pickup. I think this pickup uses 43awg but it would sound better if it were 42awg, fender just didn't want to have to worry about fitting all the windings onto the coil. So anyway, the middle pickup is wound to about 6.4K (Give or take) and uses formvar wire again. Formvar wire is a very VERY important part of JM's tone.

The new Eric Johnson?
Quote by mr_hankey
The new Eric Johnson?

Nope, that'd be me.

Lol.
But yeah, I do agree that formvar pickups are pretty important for getting a JM-esque tone.
I can nail his tone pretty easily with my strat (formvar pickups, slightly overwound), into my CBB. But, when I played my friend's MIM strat (with stock pickups), it sounded nothing like JM. It was more of a crunch, so to speak.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
+1
I wasn't a fan either.
-1. im a fan.

Quote by CorduroyEW
In addition to the fender (or fender style) amp on the clean chanel with the master volume way up. You also need the right pickups. Your neck should be heavy build formvar with 42awg wire wound to around 6.2K. This is what he is using for the intro. That is what gives him that scooped chimy sound without sounding thin. Formvar has a very smooth loose low end which makes it warm, and a very strong cutting high end which gives you the cut and clarity. There are parts of that song where he also switches to the middle pickup. I think this pickup uses 43awg but it would sound better if it were 42awg, fender just didn't want to have to worry about fitting all the windings onto the coil. So anyway, the middle pickup is wound to about 6.4K (Give or take) and uses formvar wire again. Formvar wire is a very VERY important part of JM's tone.
english please. u know, the american english.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
-1. im a fan.

english please. u know, the american english.

I mean, I thought it was a good amp. But, I just liked other stuff better.

And, I haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Maybe I just wasn't looking close enough, but it's good to have you back.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
bump
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
how much does john use his keeley katana?? And also would the keeley compressor help w/ his tone?
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
I can nail his tone through my Twin. I use a fair amount of reverb and the Modded SD-1 (or a borrowed ZenDrive) with the gain set really low so that I get a slight overdrive and voila! Instant JM3 tone.

Keep in mind that his Big Dipper pickups have scooped mids.
Yeah. If you can't find big dipper pickups, some overwound formvar single coils will do the trick.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^JM's pickups are hand wound. The big dippers are wound on a machine with the wires almost perfectly side by side which causes them to not really sound much like the pickups JM really uses. Hand wound, over wound, formvar single coils FTW.

Quote by colin617
Keep in mind that his Big Dipper pickups have scooped mids.

Thats because of the formvar wire although his bridge pickup doesn't really have scooped mids, instead it's kinda nasal and top heavy. He only uses it for the odd solo when he really needs to cut and it works great for that but generally people hate that pickup.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by zaffie8808
how much does john use his keeley katana?? And also would the keeley compressor help w/ his tone?

Could you guys help me with these two questions. That would be great!!
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
Nailing Mayer's main tone is quite easy: push a Zendrive through a slightly cranked Fender Twin.

He is using Two Rock amps for his live playing, but he also has one of the largest collections of original Dumble amps in the world and it's widely believed that he records with his Dumbles (for reference sake, Two Rock bases their amps on the Dumble design).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by CorduroyEW
Hand wound, over wound, formvar single coils FTW.

Indeed, 100% FTW!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kendall
Nailing Mayer's main tone is quite easy: push a Zendrive through a slightly cranked Fender Twin.

He is using Two Rock amps for his live playing, but he also has one of the largest collections of original Dumble amps in the world and it's widely believed that he records with his Dumbles (for reference sake, Two Rock bases their amps on the Dumble design).

Live, he mostly uses Vibroverbs, Two Rocks, and Dumbles. His clean tone is pretty easy to get: it's the classic blackface tone. His OD tone is a mix of cranked Vibroverb, OD pedals, and Dumble OD channel.
whats a Zendrive?
im pretty sure that Mayer GENERALLY uses his tubescreamers (he has some original ones, some new ones, and some modded ones) for most of his OD pedal needs.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Nope, that'd be me.

Lol.
But yeah, I do agree that formvar pickups are pretty important for getting a JM-esque tone.
I can nail his tone pretty easily with my strat (formvar pickups, slightly overwound), into my CBB. But, when I played my friend's MIM strat (with stock pickups), it sounded nothing like JM. It was more of a crunch, so to speak.

I don't get how formvar wire would make such a big difference. Its just the type of wire that goes around the bobbins. I think resistance and magnet material such as Alnico II, or V would play a much bigger factor into shaping tone than formvar wire. Heck, Hendrix used plastic enamel wire in his pickups and look at his tone.
^They just do.
Ask CorduroyEW what different kinds of wire do.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator