I was playing my brother's squier p-bass (affinity series....yuck) and I couldn't help but notice how high the action was. I am well aware that bass guitars have much higher action than that of an electric guitar, but I am not really sure exactly how big the difference is supposed to be. At the 12th fret on his bass the strings were about .75" off of the fretboard. Is this normal?
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
As long as it's not so low that it's buzzing all to hell, it's preference, man. Normal is just what's usual for one person. Some guys love the action way higher than suggested, others lower, and some blues guys use heavy ass gauges on standard tunings and raise the bridge a ton. Just depends on what you like best.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Mine is relatively high, then again I got new strings on it. Just lower it until there isnt any or there is little rattling. Higher is better tone-wise, but lower is better action wise obviously.

And yeah what the guy above me said^ If you do alot of slapping and such keep it lower, but if you do just regular finger picking or just picking keep it alittle higher. On the 12th fret on my bass you can almost stick a pencil in it cleanly.
I have my action extremely low (I still don't know why). My guitarist friend says he can 'surf around the neck' really easily (because it's thin too)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by nexteyenate
I was playing my brother's squier p-bass (affinity series....yuck) and I couldn't help but notice how high the action was. I am well aware that bass guitars have much higher action than that of an electric guitar, but I am not really sure exactly how big the difference is supposed to be. At the 12th fret on his bass the strings were about .75" off of the fretboard. Is this normal?

.75" is IMO almost getting to the point where it is not normal. My Ibanez has an action roundabout a centimeter, and thats pretty high for me.
if he's got it set up like that i wouldn't send him to a website for a setup. i'd send him to a store for a setup. seriously i thought i kept my dean's action high. holy crap!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu