I have finally saved up enough money to purchase a Gibson Les Paul Standard. I have $2000 after months of saving. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on me just buying a les paul vs building one via warmoth.

If I was to buy a standard I can't really customize it the way I want, and I have to spend another $200 on pickups. I wanted to get the guitar in trans blue, but that color has been discontinued.

If I build it through warmoth, it will only cost about $1650 to get all the parts for the les paul, and i can get it to look exactly the way I want, and have the parts I want. The bad thing is when I put it together I could mess it up, and I don't know if the quality will equal a les paul standard.
Im mainly concerned with the the quality that would come out of me making one the way I want vs just buying one. Its cheaper and its gonna be my own special guitar, exactly the way I want, but will it sound as good?

Another thing is the warmoth would be a bolt-on, vs the Gibson set-neck. However, pretty much all my research has caused me to come to the conclusion that a bolt-on's sustain at least equal a set-neck.

I have no experience with guitar building, so this would be my first build, but Im fairly confident that i could put a guitar together.

Thoughts?
Last edited by sstaller at Apr 29, 2008,
i would go with the warmoth.. who else would be able to say they built their own guitar?? i say its a go for the building.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
... who else would be able to say they built their own guitar??

I can think of a few people...

I agree though, build it and make it your own, don't settle if you're spending $2,000.
hell, if youre spending 2 g's on building a guitar you can actually buy, lets see...

10" bandsaw
router and router table attachment
belt sander
oscillating spindle sander
drill press
stewmac fretting kit
stewmac nut making kit
all hardware
all woods
glues
inlays
dremel and dremel router attachment
all important bits
build your own electric guitar by melvin hiscock
and everything else and still save yourself a couple hundred bucks... building rocks... i say go for it!

Before you go and say "well i have no experience" look at my build. I've got no prior guitar building training or any major woodworking skill and i've come a long way with my scratch build. I learned everything from websites, books and trial and error...

a warmoth body is nice, but the prices are insane and for what you get you can buy an entire wood shop worth of equipment and make your own from scratch that will rival the quality and you have the satisfaction (and the awful resale value - warmoth would be the same though) of building it splinter by splinter... the experience, to me, is priceless. my build is based on the warmoth LPS style body
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Apr 30, 2008,
or hell even if you bought already finished products from them and put it together it would still be unique if not one of a kind...

If your like me, in college, small room, and next to none wood cutting skill if i was going to 'build' my own guitar it would be from finished products from warmoth. Although if i had the time and developed the skill to build everything from scratch I would love to. I marvel at some of the work people are able to do on these forums.

But basically its up to you. I love customizing my gear. Installing new pickups, rewiring my guitar and adding a black ice mod (2 diodes in reverse parallel that adds a bit of distortion). I even burned an image into my guitar although a lot of people here thought it was ****ty, the uniqueness and knowing that I myself did something to my guitar that meant a lot and I love it.

If thats what you really want I would say go for it. If you really wanted with that extra money you wouldnt spend buy some really really cheap parts. I.E a bolt on body and neck or whatever else you might want. And practice assembling them on a POS guitar made out of some crappy wood.

But like I said if you have that desire of uniqueness and making or assembling something with your own two hands, I say go for it.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^ in that vein, you can get one of those cheezy les paul kits for like 200 bucks and practice on that first. but it's basically like a warmoth... body and neck are made, electronics are all quick connector type and all you have to do is sand it and paint it... or leave it plain... it comes grain sealed already...

I think it's made by Saga

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Warmoth can build it can't they? I thought they did.
You choose the spec and they put it together, Or do all the woodworking bit and you do the electrics or what not.
If not warmoth, there's other places that will build one, see if there are any custom workshops near you, or there will be places on the web for custom guitars. Warmoths not your only option, because it is VERY expensive.
I vote building over buying, i doubt i'll buy another guitar again, unless i plan to mod it heavily. Nothing on the market suits what i want anyway, which i presume is your problem,
Why whack out $2000 on a guitar which you won't be entirely happy with, All while your playing it, you'll be thinking about what you could of had.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
hell, if youre spending 2 g's on building a guitar you can actually buy, lets see...

10" bandsaw
router and router table attachment
belt sander
oscillating spindle sander
drill press
stewmac fretting kit
stewmac nut making kit
all hardware
all woods
glues
inlays
dremel and dremel router attachment
all important bits
build your own electric guitar by melvin hiscock
and everything else and still save yourself a couple hundred bucks... building rocks... i say go for it!

Before you go and say "well i have no experience" look at my build. I've got no prior guitar building training or any major woodworking skill and i've come a long way with my scratch build. I learned everything from websites, books and trial and error...

a warmoth body is nice, but the prices are insane and for what you get you can buy an entire wood shop worth of equipment and make your own from scratch that will rival the quality and you have the satisfaction (and the awful resale value - warmoth would be the same though) of building it splinter by splinter... the experience, to me, is priceless. my build is based on the warmoth LPS style body

+1

Spending £1000 ($2000) on a guitar that comes out of a factory is just crazy.

For half the amount, you could build your own to the same specifications.

For 3/4 to the same amount, you could get a luthier to make the PERFECT guitar for you - no aftermarket customising, or having to settle for a single element.
warmoth cuts/paints the bodies and makes the necks but you have to buy the back plates, screws, pickups, bridge, knobs etc and assemble it all... when I started my build I had considered a warmoth but then realized I could get a Saga kit for 200 as opposed to $1500 for a warmoth and then after looking at projectguitar.com I said "i can build a body no sweat" and planned to buy a neck... but then realized that a neck is only a couple pieces of wood glued together and a truss rod (basically) and said "well, if i can make one I can repair one" and decided that the learning experience under my belt was worth much more to me than purchasing a neck... I'm all for building one man... but spend your money on equipment and invest in yourself rather than blow your money paying someone elses mortgage

Lots of very good advices!

I agree that with Warmoth, you'll have to pay some insane amount to get it built ... the Bang for the $$$ isn't there.

Buying your own gear to build from scratch is very attractive, for those more serious about building guitars and woodworking in general.

Those $200 kits may be good for some as long as their expectations aren't too high. I'd say it'll be more fun to buy Strat- or Tele- or Ibanez-style parts and assemble and finish. This gets you past set necks and angled headstocks.

There are so many bargains on evilBay or Craigslist that will tide you over the modding bug, a better introduction than building from scratch; at least, for most people.

If Humbuckers are absolute requirements, you can still buy Mahogany or Basswood bodies. There are so many options and factors to consider. If unsure of your skills, start with easier first.

Build dude.

Chances are, even though you're spending $2000 on this guitar, after owning it for a couple months you're probably gonna start finding little things about it you cant stand. Why? Because they are made with consistency. Usually you can avoid those things fairly well when you build, because you're building to fit you, not everybody.

Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
I currently own 3 Warmoth guitars and I can honestly say I will never buy another solid body guitar off the wall. The quality of the parts and finishing is second to none. You pick out everything on the guitar and get exactly what you want. From the neck contour to fret board radias to frets size and material, choices of woods. It is never ending. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus and a pair od Bare Knuckle Mules in it that I use alsmost only for slide now. It just doesn't play anywhere near as nice as my Warmoths.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
like everyone said, go for it on building your own. if you dont have the time/money/space to make it from scratch, then go ahead and buy warmoth, but i have had a blast so far building one of my own, and cannot recommend it highly enough. just do what you think you want most.
IMHO, saga kits are a good way to teach you how to build. but without the willingness to address certain issues, you may not really achieve anything spectacular in quality.

my strat body and neck were very nice in most aspect* after I removed some of the filler off the top by sanding it. If I were going to have gone a solid color I would have cleaned it and sprayed primer. I also had to use my dremel on the pickguard at the neck pocket to get the pickguard to fit correctly when the neck was on. the electronics were immediately lifeless and dull. I've heard plenty of cheap pickups that I actually like the sound of, but these just sucked.

After setup, I realized, that for the money I paid ($100) I basically got a neck with frets installed, and a body.

problems:

NECK - tuner mounting screw holes misaligned, nut buzzed and made a racket, tuners don't hold from even low level bending.
PICKGUARD - too small in the neck pocket area, screw mounting holes on body misaligned. Electronics not worth the effort.
BODY - *small person's handprint in black dirt UNDER the SEALER (say, %25 opacity)

After counting the cost of replacing the non-optimum functioning components I realized, I'd rather save that towards a new guitar. Besides, this guitar has been through many 'drafts' lol of painting and sanding experiments.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Last edited by jedilley at Apr 30, 2008,
^ those are great to practice your pete townsend impersonation