So today for my birthday I got a Epi Valve Jr. The head came in a box, but the speaker was the floor model. I take it downstairs to try it out. I plug it in and turn everything on, and no sound comes out. I figure, ok, it just needs to warm up. So I wait a little bit, still nothing happens. I try a bunch of different stuff, running the head through my old amp (which produces sound) and running the old amp through my speaker (which produces NO sound). So I've narrowed the problem down to MY SPEAKER ISN'T WORKING, HOW DO I FIX IT? Or can I fix it at all?
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
Odds are,the speaker is fine and something is wrong with the wiring. Either the speaker cable or the actual speaker wire is loose/not wired correctly.

It could be the speaker but I would check the wiring first.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by stigma15
Odds are,the speaker is fine and something is wrong with the wiring. Either the speaker cable or the actual speaker wire is loose/not wired correctly.

It could be the speaker but I would check the wiring first.

mmhmm...well the thing is the speaker was working fine in the store, and it didn't get jostled around on the car ride or anything...soooo i don't know what to think...?
And if the Devil is 6,

first of all dont run the head until you have it all worked out, or u'll ruin it.

secondly, are you using a speaker cable and connecting the head to the correct ohm'd input on the cab?

third, can you open the cab and look to see that the wires are connected and secured to the input that you are plugging into.

keep in mind that unless you were plugging th head into a speaker, you should not plug it into an amp combo to check it.
also, im not sure if your old amp has a speaker ext out, but running a line out from an old amp to a cab wont wirk either.

just saying in case, that's how you tested, to narrow down the problem in those ways.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
first of all dont run the head until you have it all worked out, or u'll ruin it.

secondly, are you using a speaker cable and connecting the head to the correct ohm'd input on the cab?

third, can you open the cab and look to see that the wires are connected and secured to the input that you are plugging into.

keep in mind that unless you were plugging th head into a speaker, you should not plug it into an amp combo to check it.
also, im not sure if your old amp has a speaker ext out, but running a line out from an old amp to a cab wont wirk either.

just saying in case, that's how you tested, to narrow down the problem in those ways.

...that's exactly what I did...****.

I THINK I have a speaker cable, my dad says the guy at the store gave him "the cable he needs".

and what does it mean to "run the head?"

[/noob]
And if the Devil is 6,

ok first off slow down. or you'll RUIN the head. fry it. dont turn it on unless it's properly connected to a speaker.

so. stop plugging it into things.

look on the cable. see if it's a speaker cable. look at the carboard that came with it.

also, open the cab. make sure the two wires run from the speaker to the input jack.
get a flashlight and make sure.

make sure you match ohms,

and when you had the head on, did it light up?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Here is a good way to check your speaker. Get a battery. 9volt works great for this. Get a cable for the speaker (it can be a guitar cable, or speaker cable, it doesn't matter). Plug one end into the speaker. If you speaker cab has a grillcloth over it that makes it so you can't see it, then take the cloth off so you can see the speaker move. Now take the other end of your cable and touch the tip to one terminal and the sleeve to the other. When you do this the speaker should move either forward or backward. When you take the cable away from the battery it'll go back. If there is no visible movement your speaker is blown or the voice coil dropped.

Remember, when you do this test to only keep it connected to the battery for a couple seconds. Not only does it drain the battery very quickly, but it can overheat the coil in the speaker.

After you do this you will know for sure whether or not it's your speaker. I'd put my money on the tubes or a fuse being bad but with the given information we cant really know. Do what Jenny is telling you and you will end up where you need to be.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Here is a good way to check your speaker. Get a battery. 9volt works great for this. Get a cable for the speaker (it can be a guitar cable, or speaker cable, it doesn't matter). Plug one end into the speaker. If you speaker cab has a grillcloth over it that makes it so you can't see it, then take the cloth off so you can see the speaker move. Now take the other end of your cable and touch the tip to one terminal and the sleeve to the other. When you do this the speaker should move either forward or backward. When you take the cable away from the battery it'll go back. If there is no visible movement your speaker is blown or the voice coil dropped.

Remember, when you do this test to only keep it connected to the battery for a couple seconds. Not only does it drain the battery very quickly, but it can overheat the coil in the speaker.

After you do this you will know for sure whether or not it's your speaker. I'd put my money on the tubes or a fuse being bad but with the given information we cant really know. Do what Jenny is telling you and you will end up where you need to be.

I never knew that, it's a good idea but TS i wouldn't reccomend it for one reason, if you remove or tamper with any part of the amp or speaker your warranty will be void in which case you'll be screwed and have to pay for any repairs yourself.

Just check that you have the speaker plugged into the right output (i'm sure there are 3 different ohmage options like on the combo)

Also make sure you're using speaker cable rather than guitar cable (although even if you are using guitar cable it should still work but you're likely to start a fire!!)

Oh and don't EVER switch on the head if it's not connected to a speaker, that's a sure way to break it!!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
I never knew that, it's a good idea but TS i wouldn't reccomend it for one reason, if you remove or tamper with any part of the amp or speaker your warranty will be void in which case you'll be screwed and have to pay for any repairs yourself.

It's not going to void the warranty. They have no way of knowing if you took off the back of a sealed cab or if you took off the grill (on cabs that have a removable grill. Obviously if the grill isn't removable then you will leave it on). The test it's self wont void anything either. You plug a cable into the speaker just as you normaly would. No "tampering" involved in that.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by theking182
So today for my birthday I got a Epi Valve Jr. The head came in a box, but the speaker was the floor model. I take it downstairs to try it out. I plug it in and turn everything on, and no sound comes out. I figure, ok, it just needs to warm up. So I wait a little bit, still nothing happens. I try a bunch of different stuff, running the head through my old amp (which produces sound) and running the old amp through my speaker (which produces NO sound). So I've narrowed the problem down to MY SPEAKER ISN'T WORKING, HOW DO I FIX IT? Or can I fix it at all?

its brand new. take it right back. doesnt matter that it was a floor model. its still supposed to work.
Thank you please.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's not going to void the warranty. They have no way of knowing if you took off the back of a sealed cab ...

make sure you dont damage the black paint on the screw heads. even undoing them once generally makes it fairly obvious you have tampered... then you have wrecked any chance of swapping it. just take it back to the store and swap it. FTW!
Thank you please.
come on guys you could use a regular instrument cable to connect a cranked marshall to a speaker cab. that isnt a problem. their impedances arent high enough for there to dissipate enough power in them to fry them.
^ well, no you shouldnt.

and no one was saying it was going to be the problem per say. i was just asking if he was using a speaker cable. i really dont know what he was using, or how he had it plugged in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by 1337void
come on guys you could use a regular instrument cable to connect a cranked marshall to a speaker cab. that isnt a problem. their impedances arent high enough for there to dissipate enough power in them to fry them.

I think the problem is mostly that instrument cables aren't supposed to be handling so much power, so they might fry which leaves with an amp running without speakers, which is bad. Also, the impedance is higher (not sure about this), and thus there's more strain on the transformers and tubes and whatnot, which might cause them to go out prematurely.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.