I'm sure there's been threads on this but I'm torn. I also found something that dissuaded me from a Mexican one, this. http://www.shrublands.com/strat/
If you look at the pics, labeled 1 through 12 on the right, you can see a distinguishable difference in over all quality between the two.

But really, the difference in $s is quite a bit. And I'm also thinking of modding the Mexican, giving it gold hardware, new pups, and a new pickguard. So it seems like I should go for the Mexican, but I've heard there are reliability issues with it, people have bum necks and rough fret-edges, etc. So any personal experiences UG?
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by Nocomment
I'm sure there's been threads on this but I'm torn. I also found something that dissuaded me from a Mexican one, this. http://www.shrublands.com/strat/
If you look at the pics, labeled 1 through 12 on the right, you can see a distinguishable difference in over all quality between the two.

But really, the difference in $s is quite a bit. And I'm also thinking of modding the Mexican, giving it gold hardware, new pups, and a new pickguard. So it seems like I should go for the Mexican, but I've heard there are reliability issues with it, people have bum necks and rough fret-edges, etc. So any personal experiences UG?

The necks come from fender usa on the mexican models. The Pickups and bodies are made on site there though.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
you do realize he's comparing a 1996 MIM and a 2003 MIA, right? the 7 year difference might make a slight change...
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Haha actually I didn't realize But they've apparently upgraded since then right? I think I'll be fine with a Mexican, I just want to make sure in the long run after all the swaps it will still be worth it. As long as I don't find any flaws playing it I'll probably buy it, but seriously, has anyone had any reliability issues? Things crapping out after a couple years?
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Ive got a mexican strat. Ive had it about 6 years and never any big problems. I actually found it really reliable. I took out the stock pups and put 57/62's in em and the clean is beautiful, crunch...decent. A while back i looked into grabbing an american but I decided against it...for now. There nice but you can save some cash by cheaping out and still be really satisfied. I think ill eventually end up grabbing an american though. I dont think they make mexicans or japs with the fat "c" necks. Man....those necks feel beautifaul. If you ever see a buddy guy signature, feel that neck, then play that guitar!

Peace
Quote by icon_player_5
you do realize he's comparing a 1996 MIM and a 2003 MIA, right? the 7 year difference might make a slight change...

Great point and good observation.

Best comparison I've seen yet visually, aside from playing both.

I bought what I felt was the best value at my level/budget. The block is now bigger in the MIM and they have upgraded some of the other hardware - but I think it is fair to say that you get what you pay for. A MIA will hold value longer fur sure.

If you are going to mod tho, especially if first time, i would def go with MIM. imo

;
Mexicans rock dude.... especially if you mod them... only bad thing with mine was that the frets wore down quite quickly
Quote by Nocomment
Haha actually I didn't realize But they've apparently upgraded since then right? I think I'll be fine with a Mexican, I just want to make sure in the long run after all the swaps it will still be worth it. As long as I don't find any flaws playing it I'll probably buy it, but seriously, has anyone had any reliability issues? Things crapping out after a couple years?

I've had my Mexistrat for a year now(it was used when I bought it) and it has been amazing. Great tone, great feel, great quality, great everything! Honestly, I absolutely love it. I may end up doing some upgrades this summer(when I get some cash) but if you're looking for a good playing guitar right now(and you don't have the $$ for the American) the Mexi isn't a cheap knockoff, its a great guitar.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mexican Strats are made by Mexicans in Mexico, American Strats are made by Mexicans in America.
^nighttrain28-

Have you walked thru the Corona, USA plant to validate that or are you just repeating what someone else said?

I'm not asking to be a prick, I'm asking because I really want to know. I think the MIA/MIM comparison is more about the quality of the materials and not skin color or culture.

;
Is there any easy way to distinguish the MIA vs. MIM, say off the serial number? I bought what I was told was a MIA and never really doubted it until last night when I ran across this picture:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Fender/PR/50th-Anniversary-Strats.html

My wood is not as grainy as these so was wondering if I have inferior wood (ie, mexican.)
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
try guitardaterproject.org and fender.com in support page for serial number look up.

it could have also been a fake

someone shared this url last night which was interesting: shrublands.com/strat

i can't remember the thread title but it shouldn't be hard to find. use search bar as well.

and my strat starts off with MZ (M being Mexico) but Fender has gone thru drastic changes over the years as to how the do serial numbers which will be evident when you get to their support page for stratocasters.

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 30, 2008,
Thanks for the help about going to Fender. I looked there once but must have missed it. Mine serial is Z7xxxxxx. Turns out Z means american strats made after 2000 with the next digit indicating the year (in my case 2007 which is what I was told.)

Whew . . .
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^nighttrain28-

Have you walked thru the Corona, USA plant to validate that or are you just repeating what someone else said?

I'm not asking to be a prick, I'm asking because I really want to know. I think the MIA/MIM comparison is more about the quality of the materials and not skin color or culture.

;

I'm Mexican bro, it was a joke...i heard it before and I just thought it was funny. But to answer your question, the overall quality of construction is better in the American Strats...wood, electronics, craftsmanship, etc.
theres mexican strats?!
what the hell is goin on ?
i didnt even think mexicans could fit their sausage fingers across the jumbo fender frets?!

nah idk haha
...flamenco music is pretty complex and plus classical guitars have pretty big frets anyways....
the american strats are definitely better quality, but i just picked up a used 1996 MIM strat, plays better than any other guitar ive tried
The earlier mexi's were darn nice guitars. Seven strats and the favorite is the Anderson, But the mexi is in second place over a few americans. But I have upgraded the Mexi considerably.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd