So i have a Peavey Classic 30. Im looking to get a pedal to push my amp into metal/shred territory. By metal, I mean like 80's stuff. Old Metallica, Generic Hair Metal, Iron Maiden, Testament, Judas Priest, etc etc. Shred, more of a jason becker, yngwie type of tone. Which Overdrive would suit me?

My Local GC doesn't allow us to try their pedals with amps i want, so thats out of question. Also, Please don't tell me to get a new amp. I am going to be playing in my school jazz band, and i wouldn't want to sue their amps for gigs as the cleans aren't very good. And i just bought this amp about a month ago. So don't say "LOLORROROROR CLASSIC 30 NO GUDZ FOR TEH BR00T4LZZ. GETZ 4 NU EMP!!11!"
I appreciate it if you don't say that.

Anyways, thanks in advance.
dude the classic 30 is a pretty decent amp i was thinking about gettin one myself, have you tried the metal mufff pedal its the best pedal for metal ive ever had
squier starter amp
squier bullet strat
epiphone les paul custom elitist with duncans
blackheart handsome devil
peavey vyper

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Try a DOD 250 preamp/overdrive (get it modded to the old grey specs if at all possible). Layered over the lead channel on my peavey classic 50, I got a very passable Yngwie tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I like the Ibanez TS9. Or one of my OD's.

But really, there is a reason that TS9's and the like are all over millions of killer rock albums.
^And obviously the classic tubescreamer too. That'll work.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Of course.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
A CrunchBox would do well on it's own, and would probably have the perfect characteristics of used as a boost.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^ im really looking for more of a OverDrive/Boost than an distortion. Distionrtion plus the amp pregain = mess. About the DOD 250. can it handle thrash? and is there a website explaining the mod? Also, which would be better? A fulltone OCD(I heard it wasnt actually as good as the hype), the modded DOD or a tubescreamer modded to TS808?
Quote by shtiming
So i have a Peavey Classic 30. Im looking to get a pedal to push my amp into metal/shred territory. By metal, I mean like 80's stuff. Old Metallica, Generic Hair Metal, Iron Maiden, Testament, Judas Priest, etc etc. Shred, more of a jason becker, yngwie type of tone. Which Overdrive would suit me?

My Local GC doesn't allow us to try their pedals with amps i want, so thats out of question. Also, Please don't tell me to get a new amp. I am going to be playing in my school jazz band, and i wouldn't want to sue their amps for gigs as the cleans aren't very good. And i just bought this amp about a month ago. So don't say "LOLORROROROR CLASSIC 30 NO GUDZ FOR TEH BR00T4LZZ. GETZ 4 NU EMP!!11!"
I appreciate it if you don't say that.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

They don't let you try the stuff out?

Find another store if at all possible. My local GC let's me bring stuff in if I really want to try something (like my own guitar or amp, although if they already have one, it's not an issue). At least they have a 30day trial period though. Might want to consider that if there are no other stores you can try.

Check out the Jekyll & Hyde by Visual Sound if they have one. It's like two pedals in one with an overdrive (decent TS808 clone), and a distortion side. You can hit each separately or both at the same time. In conjunction with all the available controls, it's a pretty versatile little box.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by shtiming
^ im really looking for more of a OverDrive/Boost than an distortion. Distionrtion plus the amp pregain = mess. About the DOD 250. can it handle thrash? and is there a website explaining the mod? Also, which would be better? A fulltone OCD(I heard it wasnt actually as good as the hype), the modded DOD or a tubescreamer modded to TS808?

I have the OCD which works great as a clean boost or a standalone overdrive (which I'm using with a C30). The only problem I have with it is that it is not a pedal you can set up for an overdriven sound on your clean channel and use that same sound to push your drive channel, though in their defense I think it was designed more to be a standalone OD. Some pedals layer really well with a lot of things no matter how they're set, while the OCD is kinda picky. That's probably the negative you've heard about that pedal because other than that I think it's great.

I have no experience with the DOD, but it sounds like a tubescreamer type OD or a clean boost (MXR Micro Amp, EHX LPB-1, etc.) might be what you're looking for. Find a shop where you can try out the pedals you might want with a C30, Guitar Center is pretty lame most of the time.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...