Whenever you play a song with a difficult solo, how do you pick apart the solo when you're just starting to learn it?
i try to keep it simple and just learn one lick at a time, otherwise you get way ahead of yourself and frustrated. it can be overwhelming to try to learn it all at once, so just go lick by lick, whether you are learning it by ear or by tab.... also, its kinda important to listen to the song as you are trying to learn it, I know it sounds obvious but a lot of people don't do it
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
I actually noticed how I did it the other day when learning Stream of Consciousness by Dream Theater. Here's how I do it, so I'll show you.

The tremolo picking on the 17th fret is easy enough, so I don't include that. Anyways, notice how the triplets line up within the first red brackets? It's all on one string, too. I did it like that for sheer convenience. Convenience is the idea, basically. The green brackets following it are done in a similar fashion. Then I practice linking the two together. Then I do the next red bracket section etc etc. For the most part, I go by the bar.

An invaluable tip is to COUNT OUT LOUD WITH THE METRONOME. As you can see, in the second red brackets, the song is in 6/8 with triplet 16th notes. Each set of triplet 16ths is equal to one eighth note. 6/8 tells us there's six eighth notes that make up this bar. I count this as one-trip-let two-trip-let three-trip-let four-trip-let five-trip-let six-trip-let. Notice in the last bracket it has 4 notes at the end that are just plain 16th notes. In this case, I'll count it as one-trip-let two-trip-let three-trip-let four-and five-and. Very important stuff there.

Hope that helps. Just remember to break it up in a way that's easy to practice for you. This is what works for me.
Most solos have natural breaks in them, if you listen closely enough it should separate out naturally....sections tend to end on longer vibratoed or bent notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
download audacity(free). highlight the solo, use the change tempo option to slow it down, learn it at a comfortable speed, speed it up slowly till its up to tempo.
I had asked this a couple days ago as well. When attempting to learn a solo it can be overwhelming. I got really good advice from several members saying to do like 15 notes a night, perfecting those 15. Also, do you a metronome and count out loud as mentioned above, it really does help.

Good Luck

Quote by tdopz
download audacity(free). highlight the solo, use the change tempo option to slow it down, learn it at a comfortable speed, speed it up slowly till its up to tempo.

This is a really really good idea, never thought of that
Quote by Will_Minus
Columbine sounds like a cool name.

If you want controversy, call your band Seung-Hui Cho & The Tech Students.

Member of Les Paul Liberators
Click here if you have a Les Paul