Hey guys, I'm thinkin about getting a Taylor 110. The thing is, I can get one used for $300, or I can save up and get a new 110e, which is acoustic/electric. Is the electric part even worth it? I want to record with the guitar, but wouldn't a mic be better than plugging directly in to an interface anyway? Thanks
For $300 its a pretty good deal but if you go new you're better off looking at an all-solid guitar. I prefer mic'd acoustic over plugged in anyday so I would say just an acoustic but thats just me.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I own a Taylor 410ce, and its kind of a love/hate relationship. I love how it sounds, but I hate the Taylor neck shape. I am also not impressed at all with the expression system, but IDK if the 110 series uses the expression system. All in all, its the most expensive piece of gear I own, but the one I play the least.

Also, if you decide to go used, I would highly suggest you play the guitar first. Acoustics tend to suffer a little more from "wear and tear" .
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
if you can get a taylor 110 pre 2007 with the ebony fretboard and bridge jump on it. i love my 110 it is not a 11E but i put my own pickup in it and am quite pleased with the tone of the guitar. k&k under bridge transducer and k&k preamp 200 dollars. Bob Colosi sadldle 50 dollars. my guitar plays better than some far above its price 599 to expensive 300 plus upgrades perfect!

sorry im drunk as hell and rambling but i own the guitar and have real day to day experience with it you will be pleased. jump on that bad boy!
Taylor's aren't known for their low end guitars. You're better off looking for something else.
Quote by Zelp
Taylor's aren't known for their low end guitars. You're better off looking for something else.

that's true, but he isnt paying anything near full price if he buys it, so it might be worth the price if the guitar is in good condition.
Quote by captivate
that's true, but he isnt paying anything near full price if he buys it, so it might be worth the price if the guitar is in good condition.

I agree, Taylor's are usually really expensive, if he's just wanting a good solid quality guitar, I'd say go for it, even though i prefer acoustic/electric over miked...
i think a Taylor 110 is a great guitar if you can get one for $300 and it is in good shape! i don't think they are worth the price when brand new (~$600)... but for $300, it's going to be as good or better than anything else you can get for that amount of money.

in short, if you have played it and like it... i think it would be a good buy.

Quote by anita prs bad
if you can get a taylor 110 pre 2007 with the ebony fretboard and bridge jump on it.

does the new 100 series not have an ebony fretboard and bridge? even the big baby taylor has an ebony fretboard and bridge. that's one of the few little appointments that taylor's cheaper guitars have that other guitars in the price range won't have. i know the older 100 series had ebony... but i don't remember about the new ones.

EDIT: checked the taylor website... you're right. the new ones have indian rosewood fretboard and bridge. that's shady. the big baby still has ebony!
I just bought it, it sounds great. I'm not sure when it was made though, any way to find out?

Edit: Serial number is 20071218822, so I guess this isn't Pre-2007
Last edited by !!Dope Man!! at Apr 30, 2008,
thank you, definitely a good buy. i have an ibanez aw 500, got that for $75 (yea, i try to find good deals ) and this just sounds so much... smoother and richer
welcome to the club buddy. As far as fretboard and bridge rosewood isnt bad at all. i just like the tighter denser grain of ebony for wear but at that price you got a killer guitar. and dont feel bad about it being a lower end taylor it is a durable well made guitar and should last you a lifetime. congrats now just find your strings (i use dr on mine and love it) and jam away its so much more fun to practice on a good guitar enjoy!
congrats on the new guitar! pictures!?

and for strings... you really just kinda have to try them out to decide what you like. i play d'addario exp 13s. you gotta decide what you like though. just as a general recommendation... i wouldn't go lower than 12s in gauge though.
Quote by jimtaka
i think a Taylor 110 is a great guitar if you can get one for $300 and it is in good shape! i don't think they are worth the price when brand new (~$600)... but for $300, it's going to be as good or better than anything else you can get for that amount of money.
$600 new? I got mine for $350 new, including the case. :\
Quote by Flying Couch
$600 new? I got mine for $350 new, including the case. :\

you got a good deal then. i saw them going for $600 or so new as well up here in toronto.
yeah i agree i got mine in near mint condition for 400 dollars and felt like i was getting a steal congrats on that.
Quote by !!Dope Man!!
how do you guys care for this guitar? what kind of polish/fretboard stuff?

polish isnt really that necessary. as for fretboard stuff, just go buy some fretboard cleaning solution and use it like once every few string changes.
i wouldn't use any polish on the body of the guitar either. if you want to you can get a microfiber cloth to wipe the body down with though.

honestly i usually just use a wash cloth and a tad bit of warm water on my guitars to clean the body when i change the strings. you don't want to use a ton of water, just make the cloth damp and then go back over the body with a dry cloth afterwards to dry it.

for the fretboard, i do like to use a lemon oil product about once a year. here's an example:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Fretboard-65-Ultimate-Lemon-Oil?sku=425264
Quote by jimtaka
i wouldn't use any polish on the body of the guitar either. if you want to you can get a microfiber cloth to wipe the body down with though.

honestly i usually just use a wash cloth and a tad bit of warm water on my guitars to clean the body when i change the strings. you don't want to use a ton of water, just make the cloth damp and then go back over the body with a dry cloth afterwards to dry it.
This is what I do as well.