Hi, I can do some bends fine, but I always have trouble getting a full bend.

When I had my old guitar (rented), I could force in a full bend, but after I got my new guitar, I can't seem to get it.

I'm scared of snapping the strings, cuz when I was bending the strings (that were originally on the guitar), it snapped, and I wasn't even bending a lot. Then after I changed the strings, I was stretching the E string out, then it snapped when I stretched it like 1 inch off the fretboard... Justin said it should probably be stretched to like 2 inches... The only flaw I found when I was stretching it was that I didn't have my elbow on the bridge; I only had my left fingers holding down the string near the nut. Would this be the reason for the 'snappage'?

Also, to hit full bends, I really have to force the string to bend. Do I just have to train my muscles for this? Or is it partly cuz the strings aren't 'played' enough? (I've had the guitar for like, 1.5 weeks//new strings = a few days)

So after that horrible experience with the E string snapping, I'm scared of bending.

I need some desperate help for this because the music I play has many bends, and it just sounds empty without them, or with them play badly T_T

Thanks!
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
If your using a guitar with a long scale length that could be part of the problem, you could try to break in the strings by doing alot of vibratos to loosen up the string, or it could be the string brand your using.
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
adjust the action, take it to a shop for a tune up if you dont know how. maybe switch to a thicker gaudge string for a while, learn to get the bending down on the thicker strings, then either switch back or keep them like that. strings break , it happens. what kind/gaudge are you useing? that could be the problem.
well, the neck on the Pacifica is pretty slim, really easy to get a grip on, prob not the problem :S

and i'm using D'Addario 10's, the string on it originally were 9's
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
it might also be your pocket. at one end of the string you have the nut, at the other en you have the pocket. if the edge on the pocket is sharp, it'll snap the string.

in what place have the other two strings snapped?
giggidy-gigidy-giggidy-giggidy

stage setup:
heavily modded yamaha
modded strat
fernandes- no name

carvin 100 head through marshall cab
Quote by Samai
well, the neck on the Pacifica is pretty slim, really easy to get a grip on, prob not the problem :S

and i'm using D'Addario 10's, the string on it originally were 9's

what tuning? i suggest switching to ernie ball regular slinkys, but you should also like i said, adjust the bridge, it could be too tight, oh and does it have a whammy bar? because if it does, then tighten the springs in the back, sometimes it can cause the bridge to be raise, making the tuning funky and the strings more fragile.
Side note:

Justinguitar is indeed free, but it will help keep it free if you donate a lil sum sum to his paypal account.

On topic:

If strings keep snapping when you do bends something is wrong. You cant be that strong. Have you seen Zakk Wylde play? He bends like a maniac.

Maybe one of your tuning pegs or frets has a sharp edge? Bad nut or saddle? Have somebody check it.
I started bending like 6months after starting playing
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
sgt.shaft:
-they both snapped at the pocket, both high E strings

aaron:
-regular tuning
-yes, it has a whammy bar
-but the intonations seem to be almost perfect
-well, i HAVE been messing around with the whammy bar a lot, but thats after the strings broke o_O?

Axe Murderer:
-yeah i should probably get someone to check it, but is there anyway for me to check it myself?
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Aside from a visual check or running your hand/finger over various parts on the guitar, Im not sure.

Definitly scrutinize the area where the breaks are happening though.
look on youtube for 'standard tuning' this will be a video of someone playing each string a couple of times; listen and play your guitar along and see if any of the strings are out the check how tight/loose the strings are (cross fingers)and try bending.
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
well i tested a full bend on the low E at the 12th fret and it raised the bridge by like, 0.5mm
would this be bad?

im scared to test it on the high e lol

PS: its easy for me to do a full bend on the lower strings, maybe its cuz i'll pulling it down, or maybe its just cuz its thicker strings?
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Quote by Axe Murderer
Side note:

Justinguitar is indeed free, but it will help keep it free if you donate a lil sum sum to his paypal account.

On topic:

If strings keep snapping when you do bends something is wrong. You cant be that strong. Have you seen Zakk Wylde play? He bends like a maniac.

Maybe one of your tuning pegs or frets has a sharp edge? Bad nut or saddle? Have somebody check it.

+1!

Its not the strings. I use the same strings and I've only broken a couple strings in years of playing.
Its your guitar. Check the net saddle, ect. Or have a professional look at it if you dont know what to do.

Also you can get your guitar set up so the action is right if it isn't already (but thats most likly not the problem of the breaking)

i hope that helps
Well, if you've gone from 9's to 10's there's your bending problem right there. 10's are thicker and have more tension therefore they're harder to bend.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Well, if you've gone from 9's to 10's there's your bending problem right there. 10's are thicker and have more tension therefore they're harder to bend.

from what i understand he's scared to bend b/c the string might break and cut his hand. That sh*t hurts.

I was assuming he can bend..but i may be wrong and you may be right. lol
Just persevere, and take it slowly. You'll soon shake off the fear of snapping a string, it probably only happened last time becasue the strings were old and corroded.

Next time you restring the guitar, go down to 9s to make bending and vibrato a little easier. Once your muscles can regularly cope with full bends, go back up to 10s if you wish.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
from what i understand he's scared to bend b/c the string might break and cut his hand. That sh*t hurts.

I was assuming he can bend..but i may be wrong and you may be right. lol

well i think its a bit of both lol

and u guys talked about checking the guitar and all that...
what am i checking for? just sharp edges? or are there specific things to look for?
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
wow... guess what....

2 seconds ago, i was practicing bends
i did a full bend on all the strings, and did fine, so i felt like im getting the hang of it...

then, after i did the full bend(1 tone) on the high e, it snapped.... WHAT THE ****?!!??!?!
i was bending the note on the 5th fet, bending a tone higher (7th)

i checked, and it snapped at the part where the string comes out of the hole in the guitar, not at the pocket(groove on the saddle?) like, the circular little hole where the string bends.

im planning on going to the local shop where i bought the guitar to have them check it out
this is outrageous
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Hmm, that does sound odd. i suggest you put a little dab of vaseline on the guitar's nut, and the bridge saddles, to prevent the strings catching. It may be that you're not stringing the guitar properly, or else there's a little sharp bit of metal catching the string and causing it to snap prematurely.
well im back from the guitar shop

he put on a 9 and did a 3 1/2 bend and nothign happened
then he pulled it even more and it snapped
he said this was normal

so i concluded that my strings snapped cuz it kept on rubbing on the sharp edge :P

then he checked the bridge and all that and said that it was a bit sharp on the edge
so he buffed it up and make it smooth

he also adjusted the springs in the guitar since i changed from 9's to 10's

overall a great visit

and just now i tested doing full bends on all strings
easy easy easy on all strings
then it got time to do a full bend on the high e...
dun dun dun dunnnnnnn...
it took a total of about 20mins for me to get the courage to do a full bend LOL
worked like a charm :P did a full on 5th, 12th, and 15th fret, and worked really well on all of them

thank you all for helping me with the problem! i appreciate it!!
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Last edited by Samai at May 2, 2008,