Okay so like most people, I've been dying to get that Slash / Garry More tone.

My gear is:

Gibson Les Paul Standard '60s neck
Orange rockerverb 30 combo

I have no pedals whatsoever year .

For those who have gotten it already, can you give me any tips on how to get it? Perhaps different amp or pedals.
The Orange should give a good tone for that Slash sound, so i don't think an amp change is needed.

Maybe put some SD Alnico II pickups in the Les Paul and invest in a good wah pedal.
Well, the Jubilee is a unqiue amp. That's pretty much the secret to Slash's tone.

Only thing I can say is...Use your neck pickup for leads, maybe use a an OD pedal or a boost pedal to fatten them up some more. Roll your tone knob down a little. I think it's always better to be happy with an approximation of your favorite tones, than spend years and tons of money searching for it.
thats probably a bit much you souldnt roll off to much
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by angusslashdime
thats probably a bit much you souldnt roll off to much

exactly what i was thinking, i find having the tone at about 5-6 on the guitar sounds alot better than having the tone at 0, infact having the tone at 0 sounds nothing like slash when i play and i have a jubilee
Quote by scottish nutter
exactly what i was thinking, i find having the tone at about 5-6 on the guitar sounds alot better than having the tone at 0, infact having the tone at 0 sounds nothing like slash when i play and i have a jubilee

hahah same man good to see what are your settings what you play anyway TS i mean its going to be hard to get his tone he used lots of different guitars aswell i think i remember reading that he used a explorer on the november rain solo but yeah find somthing similar and teak it to make it your own and when you wanna sound like slash its all about the FEEL man
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

you shouldnt have to change your setup at all...

just make sure that you have your amp cranked and it'll be slash/gary moore tone city.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by JOn`
you shouldnt have to change your setup at all...

just make sure that you have your amp cranked and it'll be slash/gary moore tone city.

+1
Power tube distortion is necessary.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Bboy
Okay so like most people, I've been dying to get that Slash / Garry More tone.

My gear is:

Gibson Les Paul Standard '60s neck
Orange rockerverb 30 combo

I have no pedals whatsoever year .

For those who have gotten it already, can you give me any tips on how to get it? Perhaps different amp or pedals.

TURN IT UP! you need a significant amount of power tube overdrive to get a tone similar to slash or gary moore.

also play with their hands... as thats where a lot of tone comes from. they would still sound like them on your guitar and amp...
Thank you please.
Great tone means the tone fits the music perfectly. Most people think it has only to do with equipment. Not true. Slash's tone is nothing special or hard to get.

SOUNDING LIKE HIM, on the other hand, is near impossible, because Slash is Slash and no one is gonna have his hands.

Also keep in mind that Slash used a modded plexi on AFD, not a jube (unless you're after the UYI tone). He also was a pedal minimalist.

All you need as a wah, a good tube amp and moderate output humbuckers and that should get ya close. Some Jim Beam might help also.
Last edited by nightrain28 at Apr 30, 2008,
Quote by thellamaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsUKtl9SgUM

He has quite a few pedals. But only controls the Wah and the Talkbox, his tech does the rest of it.

Yah, but it seems everyone is after his GNR-days tone. He's changed his equipment quite a bit since then, his signal touches much more stuff.

Back in the day, it was practically straight into the amp. Just a wah and an EQ.
Quote by thellamaking
But i'm sure he mentions he's been using those amps since the Guns n Roses days.

Well yah, the amps (with the exception of the VM). I thought you're talking about his pedals?
I'm sure he would've used a EQ/boost so he could boost the mids so he could get the solos to stand out. And obviously the wah. He's been using Talkboxs since GnR too.
Quote by thellamaking
I'm sure he would've used a EQ/boost so he could boost the mids so he could get the solos to stand out. And obviously the wah. He's been using Talkboxs since GnR too.

Yah, thats about it.

So basically like I said, his tone is not hard to get. I think people look too far into the whole thing.
You really should be able to get a close tone to his anyway.

Try cranking the clean channel to the max if the dirt channel ain't doing it for you. That's a hella tasty tone on the Rocker 30s.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by stangconv
^^^Magic fingers...

Same with SRV

Yes, magic fingers are indeed neccessary. ESPECIALLY for playing SRV....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by thellamaking
The Orange should give a good tone for that Slash sound, so i don't think an amp change is needed.

Maybe put some SD Alnico II pickups in the Les Paul and invest in a good wah pedal.

i have those pickups. they wont do jack if your amp isnt voiced right for his sound.
Quote by 1337void
i have those pickups. they wont do jack if your amp isnt voiced right for his sound.

Yes but the amp he has should sound really good for his sound.
Quote by 1337void

His amp is voiced very similar to his sound....Oranges out marshall marshalls nowadays.

I think a basic set-up, low-medium output pups (alnico 2s are his choice), LP, cranked british voiced tube amp (orange suites perfectly) and neck PUP for solos, with tone rolled off abit (not too much though, turning it all the way down will not sound slash-like, it'll sound more like clapton's woman-tone)

HakEdit: he likes a fair bit of mids too, dont forget them!
It sounds to me like he uses the bridge pickup for soloing on rockin song, and uses the neck for the more chilled out stuff and other lead lines.

Tuning down 1/2 step is pretty essential too. I'm surprised that wasn't covered.

95% of his playing is done with Les Pauls. His 59 LP copies have been retired from stage use, since the luthier died. There are a few other guitars that he has been known to use.

Sounds like there's a pretty good amount of cajones, so crank that master volume.

Wah is a must

Be able to mix a really loose style with a high level of dexterity.

Be named Slash, or change your name from Saul Hudson.
Quote by thellamaking
But i'm sure he mentions he's been using those amps since the Guns n Roses days.

he was using the jubilee while he was in gnr, the slash sig didnt come out until either just before or after he left gnr, although they say the slash sig is exactly like the jubilee
Just throwing this out i DON'T want to sound like GNR or B4MV so stop saying everyone... i'm surprised no one has said that yet.

as for the thread don't like them so can't help you.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by BAoxymoron
Just throwing this out i DON'T want to sound like GNR or B4MV so stop saying everyone... i'm surprised no one has said that yet.

Wait, what?
Quote by BAoxymoron

This isn't your thread, dumbass.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
im surprised none of the members have reported you for posting this instead of going into the setting thread like always seem to happen, or is it a bit early for some of the members to be on?
i get a better slash tone with my tone knobs on 10 and my volume rolled back alittle. and i would use your bridge pickup on most of his appetite stuff execpt for scom and maybe the end of rocket queen. other than that just listen to the song, ive come to find that if the song is a mellower one he ends up using the neck, but if its an in your face my michelle song its usually the bridge
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!