I'm thinking about selling my Peavey Classic 50, my crappy Crate 4x12, and all my stomp boxes for a used Rocktron Prophesy II preamp and a midi controller but I won't have enough money left for a power amp and a cab so I'm just wondering if I can hook up the preamp to my combo amp somehow. Is that alright?
I have a Peavey Renown combo. It sounds really bad. I use a BBE 882i to make it sound better though. The only reason I like that combo is that it's 450 watts and I'm positive that with a better preamp it'll sound good. I'm just not sure if it'll work. And yeah it has an effects loop.
Preamp Out ---> Effects Loop Return will work, you're just bypassing the Peavey's preamp.
I have a old deanmarkley amp with a bad preamp. I use a stomp box run into the effects return works fine. How it sounds isnt an issue as I run it along with my tube amp. But yea it will work.
It'll work but it wont sound as best as it could do, plus you may get some issues with controlling the volume.
It'll work just fine.

Guitar -> Prophecy Input -> Prophecy Output -> Peavey's Effects Loop Return

Hook it up like that and you'll bypass the Peavey's preamp section and only utilize the poweramp. You'll control EQ's, gain, volume, etc. via the Prophecy.
Quote by Guitarmiester
It'll work just fine.

Guitar -> Prophecy Input -> Prophecy Output -> Peavey's Effects Loop Return

Hook it up like that and you'll bypass the Peavey's preamp section and only utilize the poweramp. You'll control EQ's, gain, volume, etc. via the Prophecy.

+1

you'll probably still be able to control the reverb on the peavey and presence aswell if you have that.
With his amp, it will most likely bypass reverb and presence, that's if the amp even has those features. When I used an Mod4 MkII MP1 and the Legacy's poweramp section, both the reverb and presence were bypassed.