hi there.

Before I start doing the Keeley mod as described here http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/DS1/keeleyds1.htm I have a few questions.

1. Do these caps and resistances have polarity? If so, I can just read them out with a multimeter right?

2. I almost took the Ds1 apart a few days ago but noticed I couldnt take it out cos there was still something stuck; the battery cables go through the inside to the battery compartment. What would be a good way to desolder the things I need to desolder to get it out without permanently damaging it?

thanks alot
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
if i remember correctly, resistors dont matter for polarity, and capacitors have a Base, Emitter and Collector, you should be able to tell the difference or look at a diagram on the internet to explain the symbol on it to you

EDIT: im wrong about caps

if you have a soldering iron (im presuming you do) buy a desoldering gun and heat up the solder on the wires with the iron, prime the gun and then release it, it will suck all the solder off the wires and release them
hope that helps!
Last edited by ncfc at Apr 30, 2008,
Resistors and some caps aren't polarised - if you're using electrolytics (you shouldn't for the mod) they generally have the positive and negative lead marked.
From memory, you can lift the switch up and the battery lead will slide out through the hole that's left. You will have to desolder the switch though - it's a pretty hardy little sucker so you probably won't damage it even if you desolder quite slowly.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I hear people talking about the 'switch' in the battery compartment. This refers to the on/off switch. (Thats more stating my own thoughts for myself than a question).

Im really a big noob at this kind of stuff, so Ill be asking for your help alot.

really appreciate your help guys THANKS!
Gear
Marshall jcm900
ok so I did alot of work on this thing today. I probably ****ed it up really bad but Im still not done so I cant test it other than that I plugged it in earlier and the led still worked which is to be expected but at least I didnt completely wreck THAT part so if all else goes bad, Ive got a 9 volt powered guitar cable requiring night stand mini LED lamp?

have another question tho.

what does the box symbolise?
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Last edited by Walternativo at Apr 30, 2008,
I'm not familiar with the mod, but I had a look at the site and it says
Undsolder D4 on the right hand side (this is the side with the black stripe on the diode)
and send that wire to the middle lug of the switch.

So I would say it is a diode.
figured that was it. Thanks.
Gear
Marshall jcm900
I absolutely fudging destroyed it. Dont try this **** if you dont know what youre doing.

The led wont work anymore. When I try to use it and step on the on off switch, it makes a slight pop in the signal. Any ideas?
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Last edited by Walternativo at May 1, 2008,
^The status LED won't work? Did you replace the piece of plastic between the bottom of the PCB and the bottom plate of the pedal? Is anything touching that shouldn't be? Did you reconnect everything properly? Pics of the guts would help us if you've already determined something obvious isn't the problem.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...