Page 1 of 3
other life. aliens i guess. cus we were looking at the size of the universe in science. nd surely there must be some. anyone agree?
Oh wow i've never thought of that.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by Canne

Neither

Quote by lceman13
You have nice hair!

The probablility of there being other life forms in the universe seems ridiculously high.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I think I thought about it when I listened to Blink 182 around 5 years ago and used to listen to that song 'Aliens Exist' but.... Not since. Lol.

There's probably something out there. Just waaaaay out there.
Quote by Ichimaru
The probablility of there being other life forms in the universe seems ridiculously high.
It's actually pretty much incalculable. given the size of the known universe, probably incalculably high.
in a misguided attempt to sort of define the size of the universe......i can't. it's ****ing big. and yea we are an arrogant race. we'll eventually kill, eat and overproduce(****) until we all die. what sort of sentient being contributes to it;s own death so much?
Quote by hardcoredout
in a misguided attempt to sort of define the size of the universe......i can't. it's ****ing big. and yea we are an arrogant race. we'll eventually kill, eat and overproduce(****) until we all die. what sort of sentient being contributes to it;s own death so much?

Sooo... that's what you learned in science class today? good job...
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by hardcoredout
These ones obviously
i bet that the aliens are probably microscopic. that'd b cool if we found some life, we could learn about our evolution
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
Actually, Scientists have discovered an earth like planet only 50 lightyears away. However this planet is almost as frigid as Pluto. Another earth like planet has been deteced about 20.5 lightyears away which has the average surface temperature of 32 to 104 Fahrenheit. And Frozen water has been detected on Mars.
All we know as humans is that we don't know much. Taking this into consideration, there could well be other life forms billions of light years away from us, but we can't see them and maybe never will...
Quote by Canne

Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Guys, aliens exist trust me. This one time I was in my bedroom and my grandpa pointed a torch at my window when i was sleeping I didnt know who it was so I looked outside and no one was there.

But on a srious note. This site has a lot of interesting information/articles on those controversial type topics.
Quote by hardcoredout
other life. aliens i guess. cus we were looking at the size of the universe in science. nd surely there must be some. anyone agree?

Thats silly.
OMG THERES A GIANT STACK OF HAY, THERE MUST BE A NEEDLE IN IT.
Quote by JoshCrawford
Thats silly.

He's not saying there must be, he's saying there could be.

How do you know that there is no needle? Have you looked?

No.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by JoshCrawford
Thats silly.

Lol, if the stack of hay was as big to a needle as the universe is to earth then there probably would be a needle somewhere in it.
Quote by JoshCrawford
Thats silly.

There are lots of things to be brought to this discussion.

What you should bring is silence.

If you can't see the difference between what TS is saying and what you said, you probably need to go back to school.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
^

Pure gold, my good man!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by majonior
u mean ice. if its frozen water its called ICE. not water. ICE

hahahaha
Quote by WaterPour
Lol, if the stack of hay was as big to a needle as the universe is to earth then there probably would be a needle somewhere in it.

Why? Why does there have to be? theres no correlation between Size and life being in it. Its a total fluke Life is on this planet, even more a fluke that its intelligent.

There are lots of things to be brought to this discussion.

What you should bring is silence.

If you can't see the difference between what TS is saying and what you said, you probably need to go back to school.

Just because the likelyhood of aliens existing is nothing?

I believe that its more ignorant to believe Aliens exist on the fact the Universe is very big. The haystack analogie was tongue in cheek, but its true, just because theres one needle in a haystack doesnt mean theres two. As theres no reason for the needle to be there in the 1st place.
Yes I believe that some sort of life form besides us, be it microscopic or otherwise, exists in the universe.

I am not however, enthusiastic about alien visits, future technology they possess or things that came came from an episode of the X-files.
HI GUYS!
The best way to communicate with a distant world is with radio, which of course travels at the speed of light. Lets say for instance that Proxima Centauri, the closest star, had a planet orbiting it that had intelligent life. Lets say they are humanoid-like beings, like us. But, they haven't discovered the technology of radio yet. We haven't had it that long when you think about it. They could be looking up at the night sky, sitting in their horse-drawn buggies, wondering if there is other life out there. Advanced civilizations in a sense, but, no radio yet. Or, lets say they just got radio yesterday, it would still be 4 1/4 years before we hear from them, and another 4 1/4 years before they get an answer back from us. Hopefully the guy here answering them won't say: LOL, Wut?
Quote by JoshCrawford
Why? Why does there have to be? theres no correlation between Size and life being in it. Its a total fluke Life is on this planet, even more a fluke that its intelligent.

Just because the likelyhood of aliens existing is nothing?

I believe that its more ignorant to believe Aliens exist on the fact the Universe is very big. The haystack analogie was tongue in cheek, but its true, just because theres one needle in a haystack doesnt mean theres two. As theres no reason for the needle to be there in the 1st place.
The chances the conditions that exist on this planet which allowed life to take place on this planet are infinite.

The universe in infinite.

The chances that the exact same conditions that exist on Earth existing somewhere else are infinite.

Thus life on other planets is infinitely possible.
Quote by hardcoredout
Bill Watterson, you know, the guy who draws the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, said: "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
I believe there is more than likely life out there somewhere... but we'll never encounter it. The nearest galaxy is thousands of light years away, so even if we could travel at the speed of light (which we can't - impossible) it'd take thousands of years.
Quote by freedoms_stain
The chances the conditions that exist on this planet which allowed life to take place on this planet are infinite.

The universe in infinite.

The chances that the exact same conditions that exist on Earth existing somewhere else are infinite.

Thus life on other planets is infinitely possible.

And where do you get this information? How do you 100% know that is the case?
The Universe is ever expanding, it doesnt mean its infinite, there is an end but that boundary is being constantly pushed (and we will never reach it ).

The chances of another earth like world are infinite, but so are the chances of there not being one in an infinite universe.

I'm not saying Aliens do not exist. What I'm saying is that it is foolish to think they do just because of the size of the universe.

Also, you cannot replicate the same conditions infinitely that created life on Earth. the same minerals/elements that came together to create life on this planet must have been perfect. The universe is random and may never replicate that same formula again.
Quote by JoshCrawford
The Universe is ever expanding, it doesnt mean its infinite, there is an end but that boundary is being constantly pushed (and we will never reach it ).

The chances of another earth like world are infinite, but so are the chances of there not being one in an infinite universe.

I'm not saying Aliens do not exist. What I'm saying is that it is foolish to think they do just because of the size of the universe.

Also, you cannot replicate the same conditions infinitely that created life on Earth. the same minerals/elements that came together to create life on this planet must have been perfect. The universe is random and may never replicate that same formula again.
It's not foolish at all. Unless you can show me the ends of the universe and that they've stopped expanding then I'll stand by infinite for now. All it is is a theoretical assumption you can't disprove on available evidence

Life as we know it only requires a few basic elements, and an atmosphere that can allow liquid water. And that's only if we predict life on other planets would develop the same way as ours.
Quote by Wigert
Actually, Scientists have discovered an earth like planet only 50 lightyears away. However this planet is almost as frigid as Pluto. Another earth like planet has been deteced about 20.5 lightyears away which has the average surface temperature of 32 to 104 Fahrenheit. And Frozen water has been detected on Mars.

ONLY 50 light years?
you do know what a light year is right? 50 light years is a very long way and NASAs best shuttle would never make it
I mosh continuosly
Quote by JoshCrawford

A common misconception, the universe is not expanding as such, it is rather stretching. There are however, a few bits of evidence that point to the universe being infinite in space, but it is however constrained to be finite in time. Since the rate of the 'expansion' of the universe is accelerating, this points to a significant amount of negative curvature over cosmological distances, which in turn is presumed to indicate infinite spatial dimension.

Quote by JoshCrawford

Inifinte really isn't a good word to use here. Given the rate at which extra solar planets are being detected, and the numbers being found only a few times more massive than the earth (roughly the lower limit at the moment with certain methods) our understanding of probabilites of earth like planets forming has been dramatically altered. It is now accepted that there are probably quite a few planets in the so called 'sweet spot' within a kiloparsec or so, tho many of them will not have the same structure as the earth.

Quote by JoshCrawford

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion either, without some kind of logical step. But the fact remains that in an infinite universe, where every possible event has a finite probability, all possible events must occur at some point in space time. And the development of 'alien' life is certainly possible, as proved by our very existance.

Quote by JoshCrawford

The very fact that the universe has a significant random element is what makes many people believe that other life may exist. There is certainly plenty of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, sodium, iron, phosphorus, and all the other elements essential to life, out there in the rest of the universe. Only takes one of the potentially infinite number of earth like planets out there to have the right conditions at the right time for it to have developed life.
[quote="'[ LiAm "]']ONLY 50 light years?
you do know what a light year is right? 50 light years is a very long way and NASAs best shuttle would never make it

May seem like a long way to you, but i'm used to talking in distances thousands of times bigger than that, and i haven't even finished my degree yet.

EDIT: oops, sorry about the double post there...
Quote by Mad_BOB
May seem like a long way to you, but i'm used to talking in distances thousands of times bigger than that, and i haven't even finished my degree yet.

EDIT: oops, sorry about the double post there...

i know, so have i and im in year ten. it is mind boggling stuff, yet hes saying as if its just over there, 50 light years is a long way in terms of the solar system. its amazing they know that much as it is, weve barely got manned shuttles passed mars.
I mosh continuosly
Quote by Mad_BOB
A common misconception, the universe is not expanding as such, it is rather stretching. There are however, a few bits of evidence that point to the universe being infinite in space, but it is however constrained to be finite in time. Since the rate of the 'expansion' of the universe is accelerating, this points to a significant amount of negative curvature over cosmological distances, which in turn is presumed to indicate infinite spatial dimension.

Inifinte really isn't a good word to use here. Given the rate at which extra solar planets are being detected, and the numbers being found only a few times more massive than the earth (roughly the lower limit at the moment with certain methods) our understanding of probabilites of earth like planets forming has been dramatically altered. It is now accepted that there are probably quite a few planets in the so called 'sweet spot' within a kiloparsec or so, tho many of them will not have the same structure as the earth.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion either, without some kind of logical step. But the fact remains that in an infinite universe, where every possible event has a finite probability, all possible events must occur at some point in space time. And the development of 'alien' life is certainly possible, as proved by our very existance.

The very fact that the universe has a significant random element is what makes many people believe that other life may exist. There is certainly plenty of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, sodium, iron, phosphorus, and all the other elements essential to life, out there in the rest of the universe. Only takes one of the potentially infinite number of earth like planets out there to have the right conditions at the right time for it to have developed life.

Your completely right, Its just in a matter of opinion we differ. In my opinion I dont believe pinning an idea that aliens exist on an infinite posibility.

It's not foolish at all. Unless you can show me the ends of the universe and that they've stopped expanding then I'll stand by infinite for now. All it is is a theoretical assumption you can't disprove on available evidence

Life as we know it only requires a few basic elements, and an atmosphere that can allow liquid water. And that's only if we predict life on other planets would develop the same way as ours.

Its far better to be skeptical in all walks of life.
Page 1 of 3