Well about a year ago I bought a Schecter Hellraiser.. From what I remember it used to stay in tune.. but recently it's been going out of tune (only the G) like crazy! I figured it was the tuners since I can't see it being anything else so I replaced them but it still kept going out..

I'm seriously stumped now.. It's the TOM version.. Anyone have any ideas?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

The G string is the thickest of the unwound strings. Therefor it will usually go out of tune more easily then the other strings. Try using a set of strings with a wound G. Also check all the screws of your guitar, especially at the tuners. Tighten them if they are to lose. Also don't forget to stretch your strings when they're new. If you still keep having problems after trying all my suggestions it might be the nut that's causing the problem. Have a pro look at it, it might need to be filed (sp?) a bit or need some graphite powder.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
I've stretched the strings when I put them on, everything is tight.. I know the G is one of those that goes out of tune a lot but this is just ridiculous.. I can't even play on it!

I'm using D'addario 10's.. Why does it say in tune for some people but not me.. It doesn't make any sense.. There has to be a reason for it.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

damn i thought this thread was in the pit......
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
d00d, weird, i used exactly the same strings as you...on a hardtail shecter...

whoa twilight zone and such

either way i had the same problem, i cant offer any contsructive advice, cause mine fixed itself...make sure there are enough winds on the tuning peg and make sure they're tight is all i can add
how old/new are the strings?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Get some nut sauce for the nut. If you don't want that, use graphite. Restring the guitar the a locking method on the strings at the tuners. If that fails, get the guitar set up as the truss rod may be slipping or something.
Signatures are overrated.
Its strange... I use D'addario 10's on my guitar and I've been having huge problems trying to keep the g in tune as well...
Real eyes realise real lies.
Consider yourself lucky dude, my g string keeps getting wedged in.

All lame jokes aside; my Westfield does the same thing and I use Ernie Ball strings. However that's probably because there's a washer missing on that tuner.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Is this like a common problem or something? Do you think only guitars with locking nuts or tuners stay in tune well?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
Is this like a common problem or something? Do you think only guitars with locking nuts or tuners stay in tune well?

i have an epi LP with a T-O-M bridge and the standard grovers... it stays where i leave it... G string and all...

there must be some reason... get it checked by a tech.
Thank you please.
It doesn't make any sense though.. What would a tech find that I didn't? I highly doubt it's the truss bar. The only other explanation would be the nut?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Are you bending really heavily or something? I have a Hellraiser too and use DR 11s, and I never have problems unless I'm just abusing the G string and even then it just goes out a little bit.
this ****ing string is such a bitch for everyone. happens to me a lot, what i do is everytime i switch strings i take a no. 2 pencil and "draw" on the nut, lubes it up nice and good. fixed my problem, though it sounds like yours might be more serious.
what did you replace the tuners with?
and try crushing #2 lead and putting it on your nut
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
zhunt - I'm not bending too heavily.. Mainly up half a note or a whole note. And it goes way out after those bends.

tdopz - I'll remember to put graphite on the nut next time I restring, thanks.

BAoxymoron - Ben is that you man? I heard you got 3 days ISS for punching some kid or something. BTW I replaced my tuners with GuitarFetish tuners which are Grover replicas.. I know it's not the tuners problem.

I still don't have a perminent solution to what I'm going to do.. The only thing I see working is taking it to a shop (which might not fix it and would take up a lot of my time) or just selling it and buying a new guitar (which would take up more money but less time away from my guitar)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

If you are replacing your strings regularily then this may be your problem, it was for my g string with D'addario EXL120's:
The trangle formed by the 2 sections of the string slowly bend inwards under tension.
to solve this problem you can twist that section until there is no triangle.
Attachments:
string.JPG
Last edited by andrewpledger at May 1, 2008,
ahh the notorious G string
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
I don't see that you have changed strings, try that first if you haven't already. If this is consistent through a couple of string changes, and only on one string, either that tuner is slipping or you need to improve your string winding method. It could also be loosening at the winding on the ball end, but I wouldn't expect that to happen just on one string or with 2 or 3 sets.

No it's not only locking tuners that stay in tune well, all of my guitars without tremolo arms stay in tune fairly well. None have locking systems. I have one that will stay in tune quite well for a couple of weeks when practicing at home. I rarely have to fine tune it. All have stock tuners, only two have name brands, both Grover.

When using a pencil to lube the nut, just sharpen it to a fine point and scratch it in each nut slot, no need to grind it to powder. I keep pencils in a couple of guitar cases for this reason. It's especially useful for floating strat style bridges, helps keep them in tune a alot better.

Question: Is it dropping out of tune, going flat, or coming back sharp after playing/bending a little?

If it's coming back sharp, the graphite should help, it's binding in the nut slot. If graphite doesn't cure the problem the nut slot may be too tight and need touching up with a nut file. If it's dropping in pitch and going flat, it's a flaky or loose tuner, unwinding at the ball end or not being wrapped on the tuner peg securely. Anything loose at the bridge end would cause all strings to go out of tune. Truss rod, if even possible, would cause all the strings to go out of tune as well. Truss rod should have nothing to do with it at all, it only makes a very minor difference in overall intonation when adjusted, usually not enough to warrant intonation changes.

I sometimes have problems with the high E string, usually because I don't get a good corner against the tuner peg when I make the first wrap installing strings, it lets the string slip and it goes flat until the tag end slips all the way through the tuner peg and the string unwinds completely. Quite annoying when I find out onstage halfway through the first set...When installing strings I prefer to make the first wrap above the tag end and the second below it, so they pinch the tag end between and help hold it more securely. It helps.

I can't think of anything else, if this is only one string and continues after a string change or two, it's a flaky or loose tuner, not holding when you wrap it, or too tight in the nut slot, depending on just how it goes out of tune. Everything else I can think of would affect all the strings, not just one. Since you replaced the tuners, I would not suspect them, it's possible but very rare two sets of tuners will have the same problem on the same string. That leaves nut slot and string winding method, possibly ball end unwinding but that should not continue with several sets of strings.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Hmm.. I leveled out my bridge because one side was a bit higher.. then I stretched my strings out even more and now it seems to be staying in tune.. WEIRD!

What a picky string!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by andrewpledger
If you are replacing your strings regularily then this may be your problem, it was for my g string with D'addario EXL120's:
The trangle formed by the 2 sections of the string slowly bend inwards under tension.
to solve this problem you can twist that section until there is no triangle.

can you elaborate on this